DHL parcel box

30 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I had to send back one of the items I got from Otto.

I went to DHL reception in a copy shop next to my building. The clerk there looked at the slab that Otto sent to me in case of returning, and told me that they can accept, but I have to put the small item to a box. He told me I could buy smallest box in the store for 4 euro.

I asked him if it is ok as long as I put the item in any box. He said ok.

I wanted to save 4 euro, because the item is really tiny. So I went to a grocery store near and find an empty little box, and put the item in.

I came back the copy shop and asked the clerk if this is ok. He said NO. the box has to be cubic!

This is ridiculous. I said the boxes in his store are not cubic either. He  then said, one side has to be square. This is ridiculous as well. I sent out a box from Post office which is not having square side.

He became very rude, either I buy his box, or get out, don't talk with him, ....

So I sent it out from post office who also has DHL service, with no complaints!

In fact I asked the clerk name. He asked me why. I said I wanted to report!

What can I do?

(1) I can report to DHL anyway. At the time I was there, he was the only person working there. But he would not lose job. In the future, when I have any parcel via DHL, since I am often not at home when they arrive, it will be placed in their store. He could do any thing, like striking the item hard on floor, imagine it is an electronic device...  This guy does not seem to have normal moral sense.

(2) Just forget.

6 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

Don't want to be racist, but he looked like from middle east.

yeah well you clearly ARE racist whether you want to be or not.

STOP

4 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

Don't want to be racist, but he looked like from middle east.

You are being racist or you wouldn't of mentioned it? You are obviously judging this person by the colour of their skin, that's pretty low.

Just forget it and move on.

Just now, lisa13 said:

yeah well you clearly ARE racist whether you want to be or not.

STOP

I guess I was too angry, had to make extra trips spent extra time.

I just realize that a lot of people working in those Hermes DHL receptions are from middle east.

Another person who works there is from Turkey. He was super helpful.

Just now, SmurfLee said:

I guess I was too angry, had to make extra trips spent extra time.

I just realize that a lot of people working in those Hermes DHL receptions are from middle east.

Another person who works there is from Turkey. He was super helpful.

You're starting to sound like a Racial Profiler.

Just now, RomfordReject said:

It fascinates me how certain people know others nationality without seeing their passports. 

Just because the helpful guy spoke very good EN, I asked him, and he told me he is from Turkey.

The rude guy, I didn't ask, but from his look, very heavy beard, and the kind of air etc., he looked like from middle east.

Hey I'm going to explain something to you.  No I don't expect to get any traction here but feel it behooves me to do so anyway:

the fact that the guy is rude and the (possible) fact that he is from any particular place have ZERO to do with each other. 

what the hell are you thinking?

One of my best mates looks like the gentleman you described and is from Ilford. Which I suppose is the Middle East....of London 

7 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

the fact that they guy is rude and the (possible) fact that he is from any particular place have ZERO to do with each other. 

May be what they think inside are same, but at least how it is presented to the others or how much disclosed without any mask probably has differences.

In general, in western country people pay more attention to how he/herself is perceived by others. They want to be considered as nice person. Even if they would like the customer to buy something from their store, they mostly unlikely would say such stupid lie, the box has to be cubic,....

It is obvious stupid lie that others can figure out in a second, and could tag him dishonest.

I am only saying that even if people from different places have same thought inside, the culture would make difference on how much or how the thoughts are disclosed.

holy hell you're bonkers.  your other threads have been pretty amusing as you have such strange problems

this is too much. WAY too much.  You are a racist, plain and simple.  Now do shut up

If you had only coughed up € 4 we wouldn't be exposed to one of your daily drama threads and you would have saved yourself a lot of time and energy as well.

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

If you had only coughed up € 4 we wouldn't be exposed to one of your daily drama threads and you would have saved yourself a lot of time and energy as well.

Right. But in the beginning who would imagine such drama?

In fact, I had to go to grocery store any way, and it was near by, and found a tiny box easily, and came back to copy shop to send the item out.

They guy lied to me, and I got angry, and decided not to cough up 4 euro. So made extra trip to post office.

10 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

4 Euros for a box. I understand that part. I sometimes buy a jar of noname mustard just for the jar. 

8 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

Even if they would like the customer to buy something from their store, they mostly unlikely would say such stupid lie, the box has to be cubic,...

It is obvious stupid lie that others can figure out in a second, and could tag him dishonest.

Perhaps if you had demonstrated any will to listen and attempt to comprehend what the employee you spoke with had tried to explain and they had had sufficient time to dedicate to improving your basic knowledge of dimensional weight (aka cubic weight) calculation (as is recognized and now used by almost every international shipping contractor worldwide) you might have learned that what they were trying to explain to you in order to save you (!!!) money was anything but stupid, far less a lie.

To tag such employees who do actually try to save their customers' money as dishonest shows nothing but the height of ingratitude and ignorance!

FYI

Dimensional weight is commonly used for invoicing by air freight forwarders, truck carriers, as well as all commercial airlines worldwide. In 2007 DHL, FedEx, United Parcel Service and USPS adopted the dimensional weight system for ground services.

Dim Weight Calculator (for figuring Box or Carton shipping rates)

"How to Pack" FedEx PDF < different carrier but very well detailed advice on how to pack to obtain the most economical shipping charges.

Simple overview here:  Dimensional weight - Wikipedia

2B

6 minutes ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

Perhaps if you had demonstrated any will to listen and attempt to comprehend what the employee you spoke with had tried to explain and they had had sufficient time to dedicate to improving your basic knowledge of dimensional weight (aka cubic weight) calculation (as is recognized and now used by almost every international shipping contractor worldwide) you might have learned that what they were trying to explain to you in order to save you (!!!) money was anything but stupid, far less a lie.

Pleaes, it was just tiny little box for a watch!

I bought some stuff from Otto as gift to my niece, but watch is not accepted in post office for international shipping. So I had to send it back to Otto.

It is inside of a small box, and I had to find another small box to put it in for shipping.

There is no dimensional requirement for this little thing!!!!

with the same box the guy declined, I sent it out from post office via DHL!

The guy clearly was lier!!!!! 

5 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

4 Euros for a box. I understand that part. I sometimes buy a jar of noname mustard just for the jar. 

Indeed! Certain German noname mustard jars provide an excellent base weighted glass suitable for drinking whisky with water or ice, a small beer or just juice or water.

Curiously over many decades I've often had German guests ask me whether they could find such glasses in Germany or had I brought them from Blighty.

2B

Tip - I keep a stash of different sized boxes that I get form the Euro store for €1 each. I always have one on hand when needed. Just fill it, wrap it in brown paper, put a label on it and Bob's yer uncle. Himself does the postage and labels on the DP website right here at home.

I am a little bit flummoxed that somebody wants to ship something and doesn't show up with a fucking box in the first place...

After all, I imagine that the carton of the watch is simply too small to put the address label on it...