Problems with 1&1 internet

3 posts in this topic

So, I have had a horrible experience with 1&1. 

I've recently moved to a new apartment. They offered me a  DSL100 for €17 per month. However, they are currently charging me €30 and delivering DSL50. Their customer service is a living demonstration of a nightmare. One of their agents have hung up on me when I insisted to get an answer in writing.

So there are 2 questions now: 

1. How should I go further with the billing mess? I thought of going to a lawyer, but the fees will be much higher than what I will actually get back. 

2. I asked at Unity media, they said that if I signed a contract with them, they will deliver the internet connection within a week and manage the contract cancellation with 1&1. The sales agent told me that I will be paying 1&1 for those 3 months, even though I will be receiving Unity media's service. This sounded completely weird to me. Does anyone have a similar experience? 

Lesson learned: Avoid 1&1 like the plague! 

Did you already have 1&1 in your old apartment or are you a new customer? A new customer shouldn't be paying 30 Euro in the first few months unless he chose some extra options (expensive router etc.). Upload the actual bills you received. Often 1&1 says "100 Mbps available" while in reality the upgrade in the area is still a few months out. Then they want to deliver e.g. 50 Mbps first and upgrade later. Make a screenshot of the table in the Fritz!Box GUI: "Internet"->"DSL-Informationen"->"DSL".

If you are a new customer: you can cancel within the first month without any reason: https://www.1und1.de/Das1und1Prinzip1Monat

2. What "3 months"? Do you have a contract "ohne [Mindest]Vertragslaufzeit" with 1&1? Then yes, it should be possible. Unitymedia offers to start your Internet as soon as possible while only paying when the contract with the old ISP ends. And yes, they handle the canceling.

https://www.unitymedia.de/privatkunden/angebote/aktionen-und-kampagnen/wechseln/

If a lawyer is too expensive you can try "Verbraucherschutz".

23 hours ago, sneaker said:

Did you already have 1&1 in your old apartment or are you a new customer?

I cancelled my contract. After the cancellation they have offered me the discounted rates (€17 for DSL100). I am not sure if I am a 'new customer' though 

If a lawyer is too expensive you can try "Verbraucherschutz".

It is still too expensive. It is cheaper (though unfair) to just let them rob me off :(

2. What "3 months"? Do you have a contract "ohne [Mindest]Vertragslaufzeit" with 1&1?

Yes, indeed. 

Another question: the initial internet installation took a month to be successfully completed. They charged me the 30 Euros for this month. Do I have the right to claim not paying that?