Kitchen sink drain leaking

17 posts in this topic

I noticed that the drain leaks only when I use dish detergent and it makes a lot of foams.

The drain can drain out the foam surprisingly fast, and I think this might created certain pressure inside drain. So the water leaks out from the connection in the drain.

The leak is really minor. I can just wipe off some water underneath the drain.

I guess a plumber can surely fix this. But is it possible for me to fix this by myself with some stuff that I can buy from Bauhaus?

9 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Got a photo?

No, I am at work. May be when I get home.

In the following figure, the connection part when the long vertical pipe makes turn, this connection is leaking.

Image result for kitchen sink drain

Simple point to check. Is the overflow connected? You mention that it only "leaks" under the sink, when the sink has had a lot of bubbles. Take a look at the overflow hole near the top of your sink. Then take a look under the sink. Is there an overflow pipe, or is the small amount of water simply falling through that top hole? 

Disassemble... Clean all seal seats... Clean all seals...

(If anything is dodgy (like a broken seal), bring it to the next DIY store and buy a replacement)

Reassemble...

It might be dripping during the process, some surplus origami paper might be of good use here...

44 minutes ago, franklan said:

Disassemble... Clean all seal seats... Clean all seals...

(If anything is dodgy (like a broken seal), bring it to the next DIY store and buy a replacement)

Reassemble...

It might be dripping during the process, some surplus origami paper might be of good use here...

You sound very professional. Could you please give me more details? Or any youtube video?

Thank you so much.

1 hour ago, dstanners said:

Simple point to check. Is the overflow connected? You mention that it only "leaks" under the sink, when the sink has had a lot of bubbles. Take a look at the overflow hole near the top of your sink. Then take a look under the sink. Is there an overflow pipe, or is the small amount of water simply falling through that top hole? 

Even when I had a lot of bubble, it did not reach overflow. So I guess this can be exclueded.

Ok, well if the overflow is connected, then I would just try to disassemble/reassemble along the lines  @franklan said. Firstly though, put a bucket under the drain, as there will (as a minimum) be waste water/rubbish in the trap (the u-shaped bit in your diagram). Unscrew the bit on your diagram called "1 1/2 in slip pvc nut and hub". You can then take the trap off the downpipe (the "kitchen sink tailpipe" in your picture). Then unscrew  the u-bend ("I 1/2 inch trap"). Clear out the trap - there will be water and bits of food inside, hence the bucket. 

Then check the threads/seals, and clean. If they are broken/damaged then replace them (from your local baumarkt - take the old one with you to make sure you get the right size).

Rather than just screw it back together, you can make sure your joint is water tight by using a jointing compound (go to your baumarkt for a pot of this). There are several versions. You can use a liquid compound (a bit like slightly runny toothpaste) with a PTFE base (something like Plumb Blue, if you know it from the UK) or a putty-like substance like Plumbers Mait (I've found a product called "Aqua Fermit " at my local Baumarkt). It is also possible to make the joints water tight by using silicone sealant instead, but I wouldn't - it is very messy, takes a while to dry and it will make future jobs a pain in the ar$e. 

Tighten all the two joints back up (allow for the compound to splurge out a bit). 

Keeping your bucket under the drain, give it a test!

Good luck.

18 minutes ago, dstanners said:

Ok, well if the overflow is connected, then I would just try to disassemble/reassemble along the lines  @franklan said. Firstly though, put a bucket under the drain, as there will (as a minimum) be waste water/rubbish in the trap (the u-shaped bit in your diagram). Unscrew the bit on your diagram called "1 1/2 in slip pvc nut and hub". You can then take the trap off the downpipe (the "kitchen sink tailpipe" in your picture). Then unscrew  the u-bend ("I 1/2 inch trap"). Clear out the trap - there will be water and bits of food inside, hence the bucket. 

Then check the threads/seals, and clean. If they are broken/damaged then replace them (from your local baumarkt - take the old one with you to make sure you get the right size).

Rather than just screw it back together, you can make sure your joint is water tight by using a jointing compound (go to your baumarkt for a pot of this). There are several versions. You can use a liquid compound (a bit like slightly runny toothpaste) with a PTFE base (something like Plumb Blue, if you know it from the UK) or a putty-like substance like Plumbers Mait (I've found a product called "Aqua Fermit " at my local Baumarkt). It is also possible to make the joints water tight by using silicone sealant instead, but I wouldn't - it is very messy, takes a while to dry and it will make future jobs a pain in the ar$e. 

Tighten all the two joints back up (allow for the compound to splurge out a bit). 

Keeping your bucket under the drain, give it a test!

Good luck.

This is so perfectly professional with all details.

Thank you!

I think I will try in 1-2 weeks.

1 hour ago, SmurfLee said:

I think I will try in 1-2 weeks.

???

I guess I should not really be surprised

4 hours ago, SmurfLee said:

I noticed that the drain leaks only when I use dish detergent and it makes a lot of foams.

The drain can drain out the foam surprisingly fast, and I think this might created certain pressure inside drain. So the water leaks out from the connection in the drain.

The leak is really minor. I can just wipe off some water underneath the drain.

I guess a plumber can surely fix this. But is it possible for me to fix this by myself with some stuff that I can buy from Bauhaus?

Plumbing is super easy. If you are bear mannheim id be happy to help you. Its not rocket science and could easily be fixed with a few euros worth of stuff from the bauhaus

I second that.  the pvc/plastic stuff they use here is just dead simple.  I've taken mine apart to the wall and put it back together in 10 minutes or less.

On 3/19/2019, 3:01:52, dstanners said:

I think you might be well right.

I usually do not eat too greasy food. So I clean with detergent once every weekend.

Last weekend, I took very close look. Something is wrong with overflow.

I misunderstood you last time. I thought you meant 'if I have water over the overflow'. I think you meant when I have much foams that are coming out from the overflow. Yes, when I use detergent foams come out from there and I saw leaking underneath.

The pipe underneath overflow is wet.

Could you please tell me how to fix this?

53 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

I think you meant when I have much foams that are coming out from the overflow. Yes, when I use detergent foams come out from there and I saw leaking underneath.

The pipe underneath overflow is wet

Do you have space in your kitchen for a dishwasher but have not installed one? 

If so, there might be a small connection pipe connecting to the overflow for a dishwasher to drain water off that is not sealed off. 

Just a suggestion to check as it happened to me. The connection was on the side of the U bend, not that close to thr bottom, and so would keep more or less dry with running water but detergent bubbles would periodically escape making the floor of the cupboard wet. If so, tske a picture of the connection and measure its diameter. A hardware shop (Bauhaus, Obi, etc) will sell you a plastic cap for around 20 cents.

...ok, so look back at your diagram, and work your way from the bit called "kitchen sink tailpiece" up to the sink. Just before you get to the sink, you should see a pipe like a flexible bit of hose coming off the side of the tail piece (or the bottom of the sink). That hose should go around the side of the sink, and attach right where the overflow hole is on the inside of your sink. 

The link below is to a youtube clip where there are various problems with the drainage, but the main point is that you can see what the overflow looks like (even if it isn't working properly.https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kitchen+sink+drain+overflow+pipe&client=opera&hs=znh&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfu43Goq_hAhXny6YKHRldCA0Q_AUIDigB&biw=1093&bih=502#imgrc=5Bu8OXwg4jTHNM:

From what you have said, it is possible that:

1) there isn't a hose. That would mean that the overflow holes simply allow water to spill in the cupboard beneath the sink; or

2) that the hose isn't connected properly. That would allow "some" of the excess water to spill into the cupboard below.

If you don't have an overflow pipe, then you need to buy one. Something like this: https://www.obi.de/zubehoer-fuer-spuelen/pyramis-siebkorbventil-92-mm-manuelle-betaetigung/p/1392992 . From your diagram, the "kitchen sink tailpiece" would just screw on to the bottom.

As with the description in my earlier post, with all of this plumbing, put a bucket beneath the sink, clean all of the existing connections/threads, use a jointing compound to make the joints watertight, and put them back together again.

As @Kommentarlos has suggested, another really simple fix would be if there was a connecting pipe for a dishwasher to drain into (there very often is), but for some reason either the connection to the dishwasher drain is leaking (in which case, detach, clean, compound and rejoin) or there is no dishwasher drain connected, but the connection has not been capped off/the cap isn't connected properly. Again, simple fix, just either buy a new cap or clean and tighten the existing one.

Good luck.

15 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

Do you have space in your kitchen for a dishwasher but have not installed one? 

If so, there might be a small connection pipe connecting to the overflow for a dishwasher to drain water off that is not sealed off. 

Just a suggestion to check as it happened to me. The connection was on the side of the U bend, not that close to thr bottom, and so would keep more or less dry with running water but detergent bubbles would periodically escape making the floor of the cupboard wet. If so, tske a picture of the connection and measure its diameter. A hardware shop (Bauhaus, Obi, etc) will sell you a plastic cap for around 20 cents.

Thank you so much.

But the kitchen is very tiny, no space for dish washier.

12 hours ago, dstanners said:

...ok, so look back at your diagram, and work your way from the bit called "kitchen sink tailpiece" up to the sink. Just before you get to the sink, you should see a pipe like a flexible bit of hose coming off the side of the tail piece (or the bottom of the sink). That hose should go around the side of the sink, and attach right where the overflow hole is on the inside of your sink. 

The link below is to a youtube clip where there are various problems with the drainage, but the main point is that you can see what the overflow looks like (even if it isn't working properly.https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kitchen+sink+drain+overflow+pipe&client=opera&hs=znh&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfu43Goq_hAhXny6YKHRldCA0Q_AUIDigB&biw=1093&bih=502#imgrc=5Bu8OXwg4jTHNM:

From what you have said, it is possible that:

1) there isn't a hose. That would mean that the overflow holes simply allow water to spill in the cupboard beneath the sink; or

2) that the hose isn't connected properly. That would allow "some" of the excess water to spill into the cupboard below.

If you don't have an overflow pipe, then you need to buy one. Something like this: https://www.obi.de/zubehoer-fuer-spuelen/pyramis-siebkorbventil-92-mm-manuelle-betaetigung/p/1392992 . From your diagram, the "kitchen sink tailpiece" would just screw on to the bottom.

As with the description in my earlier post, with all of this plumbing, put a bucket beneath the sink, clean all of the existing connections/threads, use a jointing compound to make the joints watertight, and put them back together again.

As @Kommentarlos has suggested, another really simple fix would be if there was a connecting pipe for a dishwasher to drain into (there very often is), but for some reason either the connection to the dishwasher drain is leaking (in which case, detach, clean, compound and rejoin) or there is no dishwasher drain connected, but the connection has not been capped off/the cap isn't connected properly. Again, simple fix, just either buy a new cap or clean and tighten the existing one.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the very detailed instruction!