A good Kinderkrippe, ideally bilingual

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! We are trying to find a place for our almost 1-year old son in a good Kinderkrippe, ideally a bilingual one. And I have a couple questions regarding the topic:

1. I've been sending applications to private KITAs, but had no replies so far. Is it even possible to get a place mid-year? Does a personal recommendation from parents who have already placed their kids in this Krippe help? How do private KITAs decide who to accept? It's definitely not first come-first served basis. We've been to one public "parent day" and there were 8 more families. They sure won't take all of these kids. I didn't even bother applying to public KITAs as I'm still looking for a job which puts me at the very end of the waiting list, as far as I understand. Is it the same with private kindergartens? 
  2. Does anyone have personal experience with Joki Johanneskirchen? This is the closest bilingual Krippe to where we live. On their website they claim parents are highly satisfied but I would still love to hear from the insiders. If your child goes to a Krippe in Bogenhausen/Englschalking or nearby districts, please share your experiences. 
  3. If I apply for a public kindergarten, is there a zone limitation? Am I allowed to apply to for a place at, say, Schwabing if I happen to study/work there? 

Thank you all in advance! 

Does your partner have a job? Private KITA's would like to know that you would be able to afford them - this is also one of the most frequently used criterium for the "selection"

Hi

We´re currently also trying to find a Kita place so I can share what we have seen.

1. We applied to 1 private place and found they weren´t that good on communication, emails go unanswered or they take weeks to reply. We had to continually hound them just to get any reply. When we went to visit them we found out that we shouldnt have asked any critical questions, e.g.  whats the cost, whats the stuff turnover like, e.t.c.  They seemed to just want to hear about how great their Kita place was and how much we would love to go there. If you manage to suck up well enough they should let you know soon. I would suggest going onto the Kita finder and applying to as many public places as you can asap. 

2. No.

3. From what I saw you can apply to places anywhere, some people want a place near their work, others near their home.

From what I know the competition to private (as in meaning those which don't have a contract with city of Munich, because practically a lot of them is private but paid by the city) is lower than to public, but it's still there. You apply to public and private through kita finder. Because of high competition it's close to impossible to get a place in city financed facility when one of parents is not working at least 30h per week. I think you get lower points for bigger distance from home to kita. Meaning if they have a candidate who lives closer and has the same as you employment situation, then he will get place. It's impossible to switch from private to public. But further kita may get not enough applicants, so if you have a car, go for it.

Also it's harder to get a place mid year, because some kid must switch to Kindergarten, but it's possible. You can still apply to public kitas when you have no job. It doesn't cost, and miracles happen.

1 hour ago, darck said:

1 hour ago, darck said:

From what I know the competition to private (as in meaning those which don't have a contract with city of Munich, because practically a lot of them is private but paid by the city) is lower than to public, but it's still there. You apply to public and private through kita finder. Because of high competition it's close to impossible to get a place in city financed facility when one of parents is not working at least 30h per week. I think you get lower points for bigger distance from home to kita. Meaning if they have a candidate who lives closer and has the same as you employment situation, then he will get place. It's impossible to switch from private to public. But further kita may get not enough applicants, so if you have a car, go for it.

Also it's harder to get a place mid year, because some kid must switch to Kindergarten, but it's possible. You can still apply to public kitas when you have no job. It doesn't cost, and miracles happen.

Why do you think it's impossible to switch from a private to a public kindergarten? After all, financial situation of a family can change, they might move to a different part of the city etc. No one can force me to bring my child to a kindergarten I don't like/trust. Or do you mean I'll have to drop out of the private kindergarten and then apply for a public one for them to consider my child's candidacy? 

By the way, we got offers from a couple private kindergartens, but chose not to accept them for different reasons. And I had a feeling it had something to do with the age of our child. The older the child is, the more willing they are to take them despite of what they claim on their websites (e.g. "We take kids from 9 weeks old"). 

1 hour ago, Latte said:

Or do you mean I'll have to drop out of the private kindergarten and then apply for a public one for them to consider my child's candidacy?

This one. Otherwise you will be always the last one by points.

perhaps someone could share an opinion.

We have a contract with a private KITA starting on the 1st of September. 

For various travel related reasons, we do not seem to be able to make it to actually begin the attendance, hence asking the KITA to move the date by 2 weeks. We do not mind paying the fee as agreed earlier, just having our child starting the "classes" 1 month later. KITA claims that we HAVE to start on the agreed date as they have a line up of another 5 kinds starting there every 2 weeks and of course they all need "accommodation" period. Are there any strong arguments to convince the KITA to possibly be more flexible as it is next to impossible for all 6 families to never change their plans and kids to always be ready spot on time to begin as scheduled. I am sure there must be ways other than waiting for 3 months (paying without actually attending) for the next slot of "accommodation" to become available. 

What does it say on the contract you signed with the Kita? If the terms of the Eingewohnung (including scheduling of start date) are written out there, it's probably a lost cause. Be careful: coming up with 'strong arguments' for why they should change policies, or somehow make you an exception to the rule might sour your budding relationship with the people who will be looking after your pride and joy. It's an important relationship (between you and the carers, between your child and the carers) and you don't want to get off on the wrong foot with them. (Also: German institutional cultures are not known for their flexibility in meeting individual needs and requests.)

I get how the scheduling of the Eingewohnung is incompatible with your plans, but it's a good sign (for your child) that the Kita takes Eingewohnung so seriously. Also, although it's probably also cold comfort, school (and yes, sometimes even Kita) calendars tend to be king in Germany, and families get used to not having much choice in the scheduling of their lives. This is esp. true of Kitas where it's a provider's market, i.e. where Kita places are scarce and waitlists long (and staff tend to be hard to find, too). 

Good luck! 

On 16.4.2019, 14:57:31, dj_jay_smith said:

Can't you just ask them if it is possible to swap with somebody else?  I'm sure that other parents would be happy to start earlier.

Parents would be, but for them it's extra burocracy - changing contracts, which everybody hates.