Smell of Origami paper

19 posts in this topic

I bought a pack of origami paper from Amazon.de:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/0804849366/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

About 2 weeks ago, I spent about 6.5 hours with the paper. Yesterday, I spent all day, more than 8 hours with the paper.

Both times I got severe headache within a few hours. It is very rare for me to experience headache, only when I catch cold or I could not sleep well, I might, but really rare. Also eyes felt extremely uncomfortable or pain.

One thing I noticed is that the paper has very strong offensive smell, felt toxic.

I have used about 100 sheets out of 500 sheets, but I am thinking about throwing this away. I feel that if I spend more time with the paper, I might get ill. I feel there is some toxic component in the paper.

Anyone any advice?

You could write a negative review on Amazon...

origami.JPG.dd360489c2d08263ec1732411741

Or you could just dump it in the trash and stop making yourself sick.

4 minutes ago, optimista said:

Let me guess, made in China.

No.

In fact I bought 2 packages of origami paper. One from Tuttle publishing, based in Vermont USA, one from a company in China.

The one from China has no smell.

The one from Tuttle publishing has toxic smell. I checked on internet, other people already complained.

You could send it to a lab and have it tested. See what is emanating from it.

6 minutes ago, optimista said:

I would love to, but who will pay for this.

I contacted Amazon, and they refunded me the money I paid for the item. So even if it turns out to be toxic, what can I do?

Send (a copy of) the results to the manufacturer ? They could either ignore you thereby losing your repeat custom (yeah, big deal), or provide you with a life-time supply of (preferably non-smelly) paper - to keep you quiet.

Yes, you would be paying upfront. Alternatively, contact the manufacturer directly. See what they say.

I once poured a bottle of what was supposed to be Chartreuse down the sink because it tasted and smellt like meths. Also had the head-ache of a life-time after drinking a small glass of it. I regret not getting it tested, even if it had cost me money. Wonder how many people suffered worse? In my home town a few years ago people went blind after drinking bootleg vodka, that wasn't actually vodka...

35 minutes ago, optimista said:

Can we post this one to the "bad advice" thread?

The guy spends less than €14 on a package of paper and is dissatisfied, so now you want him to spend hundreds more on lab tests? FFS.

1 hour ago, SmurfLee said:

I would love to, but who will pay for this.

I contacted Amazon, and they refunded me the money I paid for the item. So even if it turns out to be toxic, what can I do?

You got your money back, throw it away and move on.

So even if it turns out to be toxic, what can I do?

Give it to somebody who rolls his/her own cigarettes?

4 hours ago, franklan said:

Give it to somebody who rolls his/her own cigarettes?

Brilliant idea  :)

I am just thinking, the item is still on amazon for sale, and it must have been there for a while, and people even wrote good reviews.

I cannot understand why I am so sensitive to the particular chemical. I still feel a bit sick today.

I still feel a bit sick today.

Perhaps you just picked up some virus or something unrelated to the paper.

17 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Perhaps you just picked up some virus or something unrelated to the paper.

No, I am sure not, though the symptom was quite a bit like cold.

Such coincidence, each time I work with the paper, I got the symptom.

I contacted Tuttle publishing, and reported to them. They asked me to send them the item code so that they could send me toxicity report. They sounded very hard, no apologies at all. Didn't even say they felt sorry for what I have experienced.

On March 18, 2019 at 5:51:07 AM, optimista said:

Send (a copy of) the results to the manufacturer ? They could either ignore you thereby losing your repeat custom (yeah, big deal), or provide you with a life-time supply of (preferably non-smelly) paper - to keep you quiet.

Yes, you would be paying upfront. Alternatively, contact the manufacturer directly. See what they say.

I once poured a bottle of what was supposed to be Chartreuse down the sink because it tasted and smellt like meths. Also had the head-ache of a life-time after drinking a small glass of it. I regret not getting it tested, even if it had cost me money. Wonder how many people suffered worse? In my home town a few years ago people went blind after drinking bootleg vodka, that wasn't actually vodka...

Oh- I thought that was the normal taste of Chartreuse!;)

Sometimes packaging of products is what produces a horrible smell. Or damp itself. Damp cardboard or paper can also just really smell bad. With all this rainy weather perhaps damp is an issue? Thinking of the horrible smell that comes from paper/pulp factories.