The Austrian motorway vignette system

132 posts in this topic

I have driven over 30000 kms in Öe and about 140kmh is OK, much more and you're pushing your luck. (10-15kmh tolerance) They have fixed and mobile cameras plus unmarked cars (last one I saw was a skoda superb near Wien pulling over a De registered car that was doing amount 180kmh, ouch!!The vignette is a must as they have regular checks at the borders and make sure you put it where they say either behind the mirror or top left hand corner of screen. Good news is diesel is cheaper by 8-10c/l there.

I used to do 30000km/yr in Öe and they are total wankers esp. if you are driving a De, SK or especially a UK registered car. I twice got stopped because my VALID AND PAID FOR vignette was either on the wrong side of the windscreen (UK car , my innocent mistake then) or on a hire car from SK that my wife had put the vignette on the LHS but not at the top but the bottom of the screen.

1st time I pretended not to understand German and showed the receipt together with the fuel bought at the border and they grudgingly let me off, 2nd time our baby son managed to disgust the cop by producing the most stinky nappy that 'needed' to be changed while he was giving us a hard time he again let us go back over the border to Bratislava.

All in all, behave in Öe on their perfect Autobahns otherwise they will show you no sympathy.

"The vignette is designed to destroy itself on removal so it can't be re-used"

What, like Mission Impossible? Does it broadcast a warning message first?

they really do come down hard on folks.

There was a rather drawn out documentary on RTL there a while back where they were sitting just after the german border beyond Passau and doing everyone to the letter of the law.

- One poor german couple claimed to have stuck on the sticker crookedly and then readjusted it. No mercy and they got done for the 120 euros.

- A car load of east europeans claimed to have no money (but plenty of time) but hours later after they realised that the enforcment officers would arrest them quicker than loose paitence and let them off, they managed to pay the fine.

- I even think they were at a petrol station and found a car with no sticker but the owner was inside at that very time buying one, so had driven that far without one but it wasnt yet attached - he got fined the full whack but at least got the 8euro back for the ticket he bought in the station.

Funniest of the whole lot though is the attitude of the germans, many with 50/60 years on the clock, of outrage at someone applying the letter of the law.

Err... Should you not be used to such behaviour from officials from living in Germany for all your life and know that you should have all your affairs and documentation and permits in order?

Example, I'm just back from getting a partner bahncard 25 for the wife at the station and I needed 3 passports, original bahncard, documentation on Kindergeld and documentation that we are living together.

This is the carry on you get in germany and get used to when living in germany, so why are germans so humped when the austrians insist on following their procedures and regulations to the letter?

Do you know where can I buy the vignette in Hamburg Sud?

(I know I can also buy online)

Thanks

Your nearest ADAC.

20097 Hamburg

Amsinckstr. 39-41 (do not know if it is Hamburg süd), check out yourself.

If you're going skiing to Kitzbühl or the Skiwelt from Munich then it now looks like you need to buy a vignette. Earlier the Austrians allowed people to drive to Kufstein-Süd (in Austria) without a vignette. This has now changed since 01.12.13

Or you could get off the motorway just before reaching Austria and drive on the main roads. Along with the other 50.000 cars. Good luck with that one.

Here's the link (in German)

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/adac-im-einsatz/motorwelt/maut_kufstein.aspx

I have to drive to Italy so I do need a vignette.

I will go to ADAC or I will buy it online :)

Or you could get off the motorway just before reaching Austria and drive on the main roads. Along with the other 50.000 cars. Good luck with that one.

The country road from the turnoff (Kiefersfelden) is only 5 minutes longer to Kufstein Süd.

However....I dunno how that is working out at peak times. But as long as it isn't Friday afternoon, Saturday morning, Sunday evening etc then you will be fine taking this route.

Hey, 

I just realized I need a vignette to drive to the Jennerbahn via Austria. 

I will leave tomorrow at 7am, but is it possible to get the vignette inside Munich from a petrol station? Adac won't be open at 7am.

Cheers! 

Yes, you can get one at any gas station (up to Innsbruck) or buy one when you buy your right directly before your transvess of the Brenner (right at the counter ).

You will easily get one at gas stations near or directly at the border, don't worry. Also, I don't know why do you want to drive to Jennerbahn via Austria? If you want to visit Salzburg, ok, but if not you won't save any time.