The Christchurch mosque massacre

70 posts in this topic

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/15/rightwing-extremist-wrote-manifesto-before-livestreaming-christchurch-shooting

The man says he is called Brenton Tarrant, a 28-year-old born in Australia. The 74-page document, called The Great Replacement, consists of a rant about white genocide and lists various aims, including the creation of “an atmosphere of fear” against Muslims.

The document, which suggests an obsession with violent uprisings against Islam, claims the suspect had “brief contact” with the Norwegian mass-murderer Anders Breivik and that Breivik gave his “blessing” to the attack.

The person or people who planned and performed this massacre in New Zealand aren't "crazy" or "mentally ill". Depraved yes, sick no. They had an ideology and a belief that Muslim immigration was part of a takeover conspiracy that threatens the future of "white children".  It's a belief system that appears in mundane contexts, stoked by particular ideologues, and explodes periodically into violence.

Let's not overlook how they point to the Racist-in-Chief as an inspiration, praising Trump as "a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose."

1 hour ago, silty1 said:

,,,praising Trump as "a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose."

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump accepts that praise and preens like the bloated toad he is.

edited for emphasis

Whatever background the extreme idealists come from, we may never understand their motives.

We do empathise with the grief and loss that ensues from these acts of horror.

My thoughts are with the people of Christchurch.

Christchurch Mosque: White supremacist.

Tree of Life Synagogue: White supremacist.

Mother Emanuel AME Church: White supremacist.

Oak Creek Sikh Temple: White supremacist.

Overland Park Jewish Centre: White supremacist.

Islamic Centre, Quebec City: White supremacist.

Norway Massacre: He just hated Muslims

A friend of mine sent me the video of the shooting (fuck knows why)

Apparently it was on many tabloid's websites, with pop-up adverts around them.

The Daily Mail also hosted the terrorist's manifesto, allowing readers to download it from their website.

This normalises extremism, the Daily Mail has always been part of the problem, but never accept their complicity.

I find this man's comments remarkable and dangerous.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1rWsCPUYAExYHA?format=jpg&name=small

He's blaming the victims for living in a foreign country, I'm gobsmacked.

8 minutes ago, hooperski said:

A friend of mine sent me the video of the shooting (fuck knows why)

Apparently it was on many tabloid's websites, with pop-up adverts around them.

The Daily Mail also hosted the terrorist's manifesto, allowing readers to download it from their website.

This normalises extremism, the Daily Mail has always been part of the problem, but never accept their complicity.

I got the YouTube video sent to me by a friend and , unfortunately, watched it. I felt sick and still do. I  feel so sad about the pointlessness of the massacre..all those innocent people.

By the way, the friend sent it because he reckoned it might be taken down before anyone could see it for some reason or other.

If you knew what the video was about why did you watch it?

You get upset and hurt when a dog bangs its paw on the kerb or some such... 

reminds me of the first beheading video (Daniel Pearl) that a shocking number of people passed around. 

Why would anyone watch that?  Why would anyone who had watched it send it to someone else?  Let alone to a friend or loved one? 

Incomprehensible.

21 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Because a friend sent it, Spider. And, yes, I get  upset when animals are treated cruelly. I see no discrepancy there. 

24 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

I received this video before hearing about the tragedy, I first thought it was a video game.

I don't get off watching sick shit like this, although I'm sure millions of "patriots" will get a hard on.

My Nicole thought it was a video game,too, hoops.

I had read the news before her, though.

It is sick but it happened and it may give sickos a hard on - whether millions or not - I dunno. It didn´t give me  a hard on. It made me feel sick. 

Just cruel and a blight on humanity

From what I have been watching, he live streamed it on his Facebook. FB took that down ASAP. Unfortunately, it had already been shared so much that it was on Instagram and everywhere else. People just changed one word and it became hard to detect and take down all over the internet. it will definitely encourage other white supremacists every where. 

I also saw that the manifesto is 84 pages and over 17,000 words. 

Sickos will be creaming in their pants.

Sickos of all sorts will be creaming in their pants, fraufruit, Not only neo-Nazi types but their equivalent Islamlofascist types PLUS ...drunks everywhere. 

5 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Whatever background the extreme idealists come from, we may never understand their motives.

We do empathise with the grief and loss that ensues from these acts of horror.

My thoughts are with the people of Christchurch.

Au contraire, violent extremists are very often merely exercising the outcome of their political analysis. This dude (group?) made his/their motives plain as day.  The deed itself is a statement -- selecting two mosques, setting up a live stream, and of course, the murders -- and there is a manifesto that merely regurgitates well-known Islamophobic tropes and conspiracy theories, as well as stating the underlying fear of Replacement, a sexual anxiety.

Horrors, mass murders come and go.  There will be others. My point is, they are rarely ever acts of "madmen", people with no coherent thought or self-control. They're political deeds with knowable, explainable, explicit motives.  They almost always have a (to some, surprisingly) sophisticated political theory behind them.