Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Deutsche Post? Package delivered to building next door (I think)

9 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I'm not sure if this is a Deutsche Post issue or not, basically my friend from Ireland sent me a package last Friday, and I now realise that she sent it to the building next door, I live in 29, she delivered it to 28. It wasn't registered post either. 

I've left a sign on the front of the door of the apartment building with my number - I guess that's all I can do now.

But if the postman arrived at the building, and there was nobody in that building with my name, what in all likelihood would have happened? Do they just leave it by the mailboxes in the hallway? Is there a 'undelivered package' department with Deutsche Post? The package coming from Ireland, I assume it would be delivered through Deutsche Post. I have a photo of the receipt my friend has from paying for the delivery.

Any help on this would be greatly greatly appreciated.

If it's a package it was more likely handled by  DHL.  DHL leaves my packages with neighbors all the time.

in most cases the tracking info says who exactly they left it with.  Have you checked that?  Which maybe begs the question: do you have a tracking number for the package?

I haven't received a note from DHL, as the wrong building is on the package I assume I won't receive one either. I'm really hoping my neighbours aren't interested in stealing a book on AI and a denim shirt. 

20 minutes ago, Acton said:

I'd take a walk down to the local Post Office. The people there like a break from the usual routine.

There are three equal distances from my apartment, let's see, without one of those slips though I'm probably going to have a hard time

If nobody with your name lives at 28 then the package would not be delivered, you could first try asking the Postman who delivers at your address to see if he might remember but it's a longshot. At least he shold be able to tell you what happens with wrongly addressed packages.

Do you know if your friend put their address on the parcel as well? If they did then normally it would, I believe, get returned to them and they would be charged accordingly.

If the senders address was not on the package and it was sent over normal post without a tracking number then try this option with Deutsche Post, click link below, I'm not 100% it will work as the package didn't require a signature it was just normal post, there's a phone number you can try if you're unsure.

Nachforschungsauftrag International

Note, it's not common place in the UK to add the senders address but in most if not all cases letters/packages in Germany always have a senders address or the sender can be identified one way or another.

Let us know how it goes and good luck.

2 hours ago, RedMidge said:

How do you know it went to the other building?

Because my friend wrote down the wrong address number, we figured this out this afternoon. 

Thank you so much for the replies, I'll have to call them, as that link above is only for registered packages.