The increase of inaccurate advice on TT

Ignorant users posting inaccurate info on important topics   24 votes

1. 1. Is anyone else frustrated by the increase of inaccurate information by posters who know absolutely nothing about the topic on which they are posting?

• I value freedom of speech to the extent that I don't care whether or not people who come here asking for help get screwed over.
    • We shouldn't make life even harder for those already in a difficult situation and it would be acceptable to censor posters who are clueless on certain topics.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

100 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, optimista said:

I think I detect angst. Time to do something different?

I haven't been a staffer several years now.

Time to start paying attention? Or tweak your angst detector?

BTW: How fucking hard would it be to put "France" as your profile location? It would make it immediately clear that all the things in everyday life you complain about (and there's a lot of them) aren't necessarily applicable to life in Germany? Or in lieu of that, maybe refraining on commenting on anything in the "Life in Germany" section or related sections?

Time to answer the question (or - apropos to the thread topic - simply admit that you were wrong) instead of stooping to ad hominem attacks?

Given your marital history, I think you're the one who needs to see a shrink.

6 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

...stooping to ad hominem attacks?

Given your marital history, I think you're the one who needs to see a shrink.

:blink:

What is your bone? Why the foul language? Are you really a nice person IRL ?

Why is there a link to a map of the world showing TT members in so many locations  on the home page ??

Time to get a life... or a heart scan...

Optimista, you know I sympathize with you a lot and hope you can sort out your family situation...

but I have to admit I also was terribly confused by your refusal to let us know you live in France (i.e. I kept telling you to see a German doctor etc.).

Why not just add the country as your location? No need to reveal the city. ;)

15 hours ago, jeba said:

Just because you dislike the postings of others shouldn´t be reason to withhold your knowledge from those who might be in need of it.

She's under no obligation to share her knowledge here unless TT has hired her and is paying her to post here which I don't think is the case.

Now I'm sure there's something that you are really knowledgable about.  Lets imagine there is a forum where people are posting questions about that subject and you proceed to post good solid advice to them.  Then you get a couple of ppl post something that you know is wrong.  Then you confront them about it being wrong and they start to argue with you about how it could be possible that A is B or that it should be that way or must be that way because they feel that it should be.  Let this happen a few times in each thread and in multiple threads.  Would you maybe get a little ticked off?

17 hours ago, Metall said:

That's a typical German comeback - now jeba claims @engelchen is OBLIGED to share her knowledge!

That's rich!

Pay her first, then make her.

Another very constructive comment of yours putting words into my mouth. Don´t forget though  that I don´t need advice on immigration / residence permits as I´m a citizen already.

7 hours ago, LeonG said:

She's under no obligation to share her knowledge here unless TT has hired her and is paying her to post here which I don't think is the case.

I never said she is.

7 hours ago, LeonG said:

Now I'm sure there's something that you are really knowledgable about.  Lets imagine there is a forum where people are posting questions about that subject and you proceed to post good solid advice to them.  Then you get a couple of ppl post something that you know is wrong.  Then you confront them about it being wrong and they start to argue with you about how it could be possible that A is B or that it should be that way or must be that way because they feel that it should be. 

I didn´t even say she was wrong. I was just trying to find loopholes and/or point out that the cases she referred to were not identical cases. Plus I was asking questions like "shouldn´t they have a case?". How can that that be taken as advice - triggering accusations of giving wrong advice? That´s beyond me.

7 hours ago, LeonG said:

Would you maybe get a little ticked off?

No, not at all. I might even enjoy the debate - as long as it remains civil.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

Plus I was asking questions like "shouldn´t they have a case?". How can that that be taken as advice - triggering accusations of giving wrong advice? That´s beyond me.

Literally using the "just asking questions" excuse. Why is that bad? Because you're not only implying that your debate partner is wrong (why would you question their statements otherwise?), but are also being a lazy git by not actually providing any actual information yourself, but instead just theories and conjecture - while at the same time challenging them to find more information to prove you wrong (although you've probably been proven unequivocally wrong already).

@jeba Quite honestly, I haven't lived in Britain for a very long time, and I certainly wouldn't go on a British forum for German speakers living there and give advice / comment on life there as things have changed quite dramatically since I lived there so many years ago. 

@engelchen is extremely knowledgable about the current laws concerning immigration here, more so than most Germans I know as they usually don't have to concern themselves with these things. 

2 hours ago, jeba said:

Don´t forget though  that I don´t need advice on immigration / residence permits as I´m a citizen already.

1 hour ago, bramble said:

@jeba Quite honestly, I haven't lived in Britain for a very long time, and I certainly wouldn't go on a British forum for German speakers living there and give advice / comment on life there as things have changed quite dramatically since I lived there so many years ago. 

@engelchen is extremely knowledgable about the current laws concerning immigration here, more so than most Germans I know as they usually don't have to concern themselves with these things. 

Q.E.D.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Literally using the "just asking questions" excuse. Why is that bad? Because you're not only implying that your debate partner is wrong (why would you question their statements otherwise?),

And why would I need an excuse for asking something? As the saying goes: there are no stupd questions - just stupid answers. I never questioned engelchen´s expertise. In my view it´s completely legitimate to ask whether there might be loopholes or ways around a problem. It was actually in recognition of her knowledge.  I don´t understand how anybody could take offense.

1 hour ago, bramble said:

Firstly, I´m still in Germany quite often (such as of this writing). Secondly, I like English language forums to keep my language skills from rusting. Thirdly, I don´t think you´ll find many of my posts stating assumptions as facts or coming across as advice without me making some form of disclaimer like " I guess" or "IANAL" or formulating it as a question to make it clear that I don´t claim to be an expert (unless I deem myself knowledgeable enough - but there haven´t been many questions about transmembraneous catecholamine transport mechanisms :lol:) At least I´m trying not to forget those disclaimers .

Plus I simply like TT as I find it informative and entertaining. I´m not aware of a German language equivalent with equal traffic and such a plethora of information. Not that there was no room for improvement though.

4 minutes ago, jeba said:

And why would I need an excuse for asking something? As the saying goes: there are no stupd questions - just stupid answers. I never questioned engelchen´s expertise. In my view it´s completely legitimate to ask whether there might be loopholes or ways around a problem. It was actually in recognition of her knowledge.  I don´t understand how anybody could take offense.

She made it quite clear, you are offering an olive branch to people trying to come to germany illegally and (try to) use anchor babies. 

She has a specific bee in her bonnet about that.

17 minutes ago, jeba said:

Firstly, I´m still in Germany quite often (such as of this writing). Secondly, I like English language forums to keep my language skills from rusting. Thirdly, I don´t think you´ll find many of my posts stating assumptions as facts or coming across as advice without me making some form of disclaimer like " I guess" or "IANAL" or formulating it as a question to make it clear that I don´t claim to be an expert (unless I deem myself knowledgeable enough - but there haven´t been many questions about transmembraneous catecholamine transport mechanisms :lol:) At least I´m trying not to forget those disclaimers .

You could be German and living here but you have little idea of many subjects related to FOREIGNERS living in Germany.   Until not long time ago you still claimed that babies born in Germany were automatically Germans.   We, the foreigners with kids born here that are not German told you you were wrong and you of course start bloody nonsense arguments to "prove" you were right.  In the mean time we have here our non-German kids as real life proof.

Then I remember a discussion with you when you claimed that when a kid is assigned to their first school you can't change him/her to another school.   Same story, hey, here I am, with two kids and I changed them to a different school from the one they were first assigned.   You of course started again a bloody argument to "prove" you were right.   And here I was, with my two kids as a real life proof.  Together with the 325 kids in their school who were not assigned to that school as their first school.

Plus I simply like TT as I find it informative and entertaining. I´m not aware of a German language equivalent with equal traffic and such a plethora of information. Not that there was no room for improvement though.

Maybe you should try Reddit.  It is huge.

15 minutes ago, jeba said:

And why would I need an excuse for asking something?
I don´t understand how anybody could take offense.

Yes, we know you're obtuse and completely beratungsresistent. No need to prove it again and again.

6 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

She made it quite clear, you are offering an olive branch to people trying to come to germany illegally and (try to) use anchor babies. 

But there was no reason to think this was about an anchor baby. Apart from that I had never heard of that concept before nor would I support it.

10 minutes ago, jeba said:

But there was no reason to think this was about an anchor baby. Apart from that I had never heard of that concept before nor would I support it.

Looks like you are forced to learn something new, then!!

6 hours ago, Krieg said:

Until not long time ago you still claimed that babies born in Germany were automatically Germans. 

Where did I do that? I can´t remember having done that. Please post a link.

6 hours ago, Krieg said:

Then I remember a discussion with you when you claimed that when a kid is assigned to their first school you can't change him/her to another school.   Same story, hey, here I am, with two kids and I changed them to a different school from the one they were first assigned.

Didn´t it turn out that in Bavaria and / or Hesse it was like that? Be that as it may - I never claimed to be infallible. And especially in that "alleged anchor baby thread" which triggered engelchen´s ire I think I really had made sufficient disclaimers to make everyone aware that I wasn´t sure about the legal situation.

6 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Yes, we know you're obtuse and completely beratungsresistent. No need to prove it again and again.

These are the kind of posts I had in mind when I worte:

6 hours ago, jeba said:

Not that there was no room for improvement though.

Just now, Metall said:

Looks like you are forced to learn something new, then!!

Are you trying to say that thread was about an anchor baby? If so, please point out what in the OP´s posting should make anybody think so. To me that seems to be coming out of thin air.