The increase of inaccurate advice on TT

Ignorant users posting inaccurate info on important topics   24 votes

1. 1. Is anyone else frustrated by the increase of inaccurate information by posters who know absolutely nothing about the topic on which they are posting?

• I value freedom of speech to the extent that I don't care whether or not people who come here asking for help get screwed over.
    • We shouldn't make life even harder for those already in a difficult situation and it would be acceptable to censor posters who are clueless on certain topics.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

100 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

It was removed at the height of the refugee crisis because El Tiny and his crew used it as a way of attacking people who opposed the illegal mass migration.

The poster was down voted not because his posts were terrible but because he believed in something different than what El Tiny and his crew believed.

This is a complete reversal. It was removed because it was being used as a way of brigading refugee threads largely against anyone who went against the prevailing panic and fear about Muslim refugees burqifying Germany. Basically every post anyone wrote in favour the Willkommenskultur got at least 50 reds.  I had several thousand reds by the end of it, not that it deterred me from a single post.

17 minutes ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

I had several thousand reds by the end of it, not that it deterred me from a single post.

Didn't you get the hint?

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

@engelchen has just opened another thread to continue her pointless spat with @jeba.

It seems that jeba has really got to engelchen.

Stir, stir!

Hahaha!!

28 minutes ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

I had several thousand reds by the end of it, not that it deterred me from a single post.

bless you, EI :)

Overall I agree with Engelchen 100%, but I'm not what the solution might be, in terms of effectiveness.

I don't think it's realistic to try to censor false information as the mods have enough trouble keeping up with general ugliness (not all of which gets scrubbed).  That's not a criticism of the mods, mind, just my observation that it IS this way.  Adding to that workload is unlikely to produce the desired results.

Red button was sometimes used for this purpose, as I recall, but was too prone to being used for all kinds of other reasons too.  It isn't a reliable indicator.

Maybe one way to help separate the accurate from the crap (for new users) would be to mark some users as "experts" in various areas, as part of their user sigs.  How these experts would be nominated or vetted would be open for debate, but for example, the profi's (john and starshollow) have designations which do separate them from the pack wrt knowledge and/or reputation, it could work for "casual" experts, too.

3 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

Maybe one way to help separate the accurate from the crap (for new users) would be to mark some users as "experts" in various areas, as part of their user sigs.

That's a very good idea!

That's the way Tripadvisor does it, with their "Destination Experts".

Yes.. then we would have a credited insurance expert commenting on a dead frea riddled dog on crete..

Maybe officials/experts etc have a separate private account for their blah blah posts

no...I mean spell it out "expert in xxx" - then if they're posting on a different topic we can feel free to ignore their silly nonsense ;)

eta: note I added that comment before sp's post was edited to add the bit about the dead flea riddled dog aspect - that's not silly nonsense.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You are using this thread to troll me?

Please try to have a little self-awareness. The absolute FIRST troll post on this thread was by you. If you bring this thread into the same toilet as always by making yourself the butt of the joke and the object of ridicule, it's on your very own head. 

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

@engelchen has just opened another thread to continue her pointless spat with @jeba.

It seems that jeba has really got to engelchen.

Maybe bringing back our Wiki that has not really worked since many years could be a good start for the questions that are repeated all the time.

6 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Yes.. then we would have a credited insurance expert commenting on a dead frea riddled dog on crete..

Maybe officials/experts etc have a separate private account for their blah blah posts

We have experts in Java, boat construction, carpentry, caravaning, gardening, dogs, skiing in the Alps, etc, just to mention a few.

26 minutes ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

Well, you have to understand that Cologne kinda upset the locals in 2015. Try to see it their way. 

It would have been exactly the same if when in 2006 for the World Cup when the Brits "invaded" for the football, they brought their hooligans along. Thankfully, the crisis of that era is over. Of the initial flood, several have remained behind and made lives here and will always be a part of the community now. The ones I see speak great German, and work in shops and garages and are kind and decent. 

There is a world of difference between a billion peaceful Muslims and the hard core dark heart we all know about. The faith itself is actually peaceful, yet the latest interpretation - the Wahhabist doctrine - is only trouble and desperately needs reforming. I know many Muslims who lived in Saudi who said that Saudi was not real Islam. 

4 minutes ago, Krieg said:

We have experts in Java, boat construction, carpentry, caravaning, gardening, dogs, skiing in the Alps, etc, just to mention a few.

Yawn. 

39 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

That's a very good idea!

That's the way Tripadvisor does it, with their "Destination Experts".

Alas, on TT, it would just become the subject of flamewars about who is really an expert.

I don't think that's true.  Do you really think anyone is going to dispute the fact that Engelchen is in fact an expert in immigraton?  Or that Panda is an expert in tax issues?

come on.  I don't think so.  Plus, the determination would not necessarily involve a "vote" by the user community at large.

7 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I don't think that's true.  Do you really think anyone is going to dispute the fact that Engelchen is in fact an expert in immigraton?  Or that Panda is an expert in tax issues?

come on.  I don't think so.  Plus, the determination would not necessarily involve a "vote" by the user community at large.

The question is not whether the real experts get to be experts, it's whether the non-experts who think they are experts are going to accept what they think is unequal treatment.

Just to keep in mind that those who aren't considered experts contribute greatly by sharing their own experiences. Of course, that is easy to clarify when one posts.

I think you're on to something, lisa13.

14 minutes ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

Alas, on TT, it would just become the subject of flamewars about who is really an expert.

Almost every thread on TT turns into a flame war.  

15 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

The problem will arise if someonesdude becomes a Tax expert.

I was going to suggest designating TT members as (casual or professional) experts as well, and then paused.

And thought of my own case.

You see, I have considerable medical expertise (*and* the papers to boot), so I sometimes gave medical advice here, albeit with the caveat to always talk to a German doctor. My advice was more about pointing (or trying to from a forum without seeing the person involved) people in the right direction, or telling them when something was truly urgent.

One *could* consider me - as I don't practice medicine at this time - a "casual expert".

Well, there came the day I was hit with a shitstorm of criticism and even outright threats that I mustn't ever do that, legalities, insurance, malpractice yadda yadda, and I refrained for a while before growing a pair and pushing back against the trolls.

There's a reason why some of our knowledgable people here on TT maintain their anonymity.

In a nutshell, as much as I like the designated expert idea, I think trying to institute it would cause a war here.

Places like Tripadvisor are heavily moderated and the experts there are protected. I don't see that happening here with TT's extremely limited resources.

However, I would be happy to stand corrected in this. :) So go ahead and try it!

1 minute ago, RenegadeFurther said:

The problem will arise when someone will assumes that somebodysdude is a Tax expert.

Don't worry, DegeneratedFarter, self-proclaimed expert on deportation and eeevil muzleeem refugees – I'm not getting involved here anymore. Notorious liars and trolls like you have contributed to this, as have the lunatics who go crazy when they get answers they don't want to hear. 

Have you actually packed your suitcases in the meantime? Then you can celebrate yourself now and take your flight back to the island.