The increase of inaccurate advice on TT

Ignorant users posting inaccurate info on important topics   24 votes

1. 1. Is anyone else frustrated by the increase of inaccurate information by posters who know absolutely nothing about the topic on which they are posting?

• I value freedom of speech to the extent that I don't care whether or not people who come here asking for help get screwed over.
    • We shouldn't make life even harder for those already in a difficult situation and it would be acceptable to censor posters who are clueless on certain topics.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

100 posts in this topic

Very early on in my residence in Germany, I found Toytown. First, I found out that the insurance I had that was provided to me through a licensed broker would not be accepted under any circumstances by the AB. Naturally, this was after I had received my visa based, in part, on this insurance. I pretty much gave up looking for living in Germany advice here. People give good advice about where to shop or get a service, but everything about dealing with the bureaucracy is bunk. 

I understand your frustration, Engelchen😟

I have learned a lot from experts in their fields- such as YOU and PandaMunich et al.

I also know there are some nasty posters sometimes , debunking your posts. 

A heartfelt plea not to give up- most of us appreciate you immensely!

👍🏼🙏🏻🦋

I think it is useful to know the correct answer to a question AND also be able to understand 'why' another answer is wrong. That gives a fuller picture to the OP and whoever will read that post in the future. Censoring then makes no sense, but a way to highlight why an answer is wrong would certainly be helpful.

What I find very distracting instead (this might warrant a separate poll!) is when a conversation that is on a specific topic is hijacked by somebody and turns into a personal debate nobody else cares about. That simply wastes the time of the reader and reduces the visibility of the posts that are actually on topic.

One implementation idea:    ask the Site Owner or Admins if certain threads can get a special designation, call it "useful info" or "procedural blahblah" or whatever.

Once this designation is provided, that thread can be censored.    Personal attacks, insults and off topic rambling could be removed.   The threads should be moved to their own special section.    It might make the administration easier and it would give new visitors confidence that the posts in this section are serious and well thought out.  

By the way @engelchen, your contributions are much appreciated and I hope you continue posting. 

Maybe this is what we could have used the reds for.  Wrong info would have gotten thumbs down and good info a thumbs up so even years later, new members can look through the mess and figure out which advice was good and which wasn't.  

As far as I know, and this might be fake news, there is one already overworked volunteer moderator here. There could be 2 - nobody knows for sure. From where I sit, this moderator is doing her/his very best to keep things on track. 

What more can one expect?

Hopefully, the newbies can figure out on their own who to put on ignore when they see the same people being corrected over and over again for giving out false information.

4 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Wrong info would have gotten thumbs down and good info a thumbs up

That's what Reddit figured.

Just now, RenegadeFurther said:

So this thread has nothing to do with @engelchen@jeba and the dude who knocked up someone who is here illegally?

All Brits will be kicked out of Germany if the Beamter does not like them.  Germany will hire charter flights for that.

32 minutes ago, Krieg said:

All Brits will be kicked out of Germany if the Beamter does not like them.  Germany will hire charter flights for that.

You are using this thread to troll me?

I don't think the red button is particularly useful. People often seem to downvote users they don't like and often has nothing to do with how useful or not the information / comments are. Same for the green button, too. 

26 minutes ago, franklan said:

Wasn't the down vote button mainly used to downvote correct, but unwanted or unpleasant information?

It was removed at the height of the refugee crisis because El Tiny and his crew used it as a way of attacking people who opposed the illegal mass migration.

The poster was down voted not because his posts were terrible but because he believed in something different than what El Tiny and his crew believed.

Just now, fraufruit said:

As far as I know, and this might be fake news, there is one already overworked volunteer moderator here. There could be 2 - nobody knows for sure. From where I sit, this moderator is doing her/his very best to keep things on track. 

Pretty simples really. It's a "her" and the poor yet pretty babe is doing her best here. (God I'm slimey!) :)

Just now, bramble said:

I don't think the red button is particulary useful. People often seem to downvote users they don't like and often has nothing to do with how useful or not the information / comments are. Same for the green button, too. 

Wot Bramble said. Except for "particulary". More particularly. Ve have veys of making yoo spell.