Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fiber optic wired internet

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows which internet companies offer fiber optic wired internet for private customers? I triedtoday vodafone, who tols me they only have wireless.

Thank you, 

Cherry

Normally if Fibre to the house is available, the connection is terminated with their own Modem.  Then its further distrubuted over ethernet connection then to a wireless access point.

It is usually only new build and new estates that get Fibre.. 

All of the ones that I have worked with have been managed by Congstar!

Our local town provider will dig up the street (for a price) and lay LW cable for you. They are crossing the town - street by street. However, that's only in Schleswig Holstein. 

Have you tried the small local companies?

Are you planning to fiber optically wire your house/flat?

Do all your computers have fiber connections or will everything be 'conventionally' ethernet wired inside the home?

Just curious😉

I am connected by fibre with Mnet in Munich. It comes into the cellar but from there the connection is over the copper telephone lines to the individual apartments that subscribe. We have a Fritzbox, provided by Mnet with telephone available via wire and Dect and Internet over Ethernet and Wifi.

Our subscription is for 50Mbits and I am getting it or very close to it, no problems with downloads or HD streaming.

Yeah, M-net is the biggest fibre provider in Munich. But most of the time it's only 100 Mbps max from the basement (FTTB) like keith2011 said. Sometimes they have FTTH or G.fast then it's faster. But Telekom (and resellers) as well as Vodafone often deliver 250 Mbps VDSL via street cabinet or 1 Gbps DOCSIS cable so M-net fibre isn't that impressive at the moment.

On 15/03/2019, 07:06:47, SpiderPig said:

Normally if Fibre to the house is available, the connection is terminated with their own Modem.  Then its further distrubuted over ethernet connection then to a wireless access point.

It is usually only new build and new estates that get Fibre.. 

All of the ones that I have worked with have been managed by Congstar!

I am not up to date with the situation in Germany, but isn't it that in most cases they only provide FTTC (cabinet), which can still be up to 300m from the house?

Does anybody offer FTTH/P for residential subscribers in Germany? 

I am right in thinking that for FTTC that this is still good enough for up to 100mbit/sec (more?), and that FTTH/P would be need for more than this with 1gbit/sec or more possible?

Of course cable providers can offer more speeds as it is there own network.

Fibre to the cabinet is the common form... and the "Last mile" is over T-kom twisted pair copper...   Usually frigging fast!

Many of the new estates that are popping up around Wiesbaden and Kaiserslautern (Where I predominantly work) are fitted with fibre to the house..

In these situations, once the Fibre providers modem is fitted, there is no need for T-kom or provider to come to the property to activate the line.. its all programmed remotely

Hochheim am Main is a class example... 

We got fibre here in SH a couple of years ago when a local company decided to go for it. They had to do a lot of digging through the streets etc. Before deciding to do it they ran a survey to find out how many custmers were going to be interested, had we been not enough they would not have done it. Just business.

We ar emovign 10km in a few months, we won't have fiber there. The same company ran the same survey and the local residents rejected, did not want to pay more for better connections.

Mind you: yes internet connections got faster since we got fibers. But I would say reliability is much more important than speed,  and this did not change at all.

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I am not up to date with the situation in Germany, but isn't it that in most cases they only provide FTTC (cabinet), which can still be up to 300m from the house?

Does anybody offer FTTH/P for residential subscribers in Germany? 

I am right in thinking that for FTTC that this is still good enough for up to 100mbit/sec (more?), and that FTTH/P would be need for more than this with 1gbit/sec or more possible?

Yes, the vast majority of households only have the choice between FTTC VDSL (now up to 250 Mbps) and TV cable DOCSIS (up to 1000 Mbps). FTTP is relatively seldom in Germany (similar to UK). Like spiderpig says it's largely new builds that get fibre. In addition it's often rural areas served by smaller ISPs or build via tax payer money. But OP is from Munich and they have a regional ISP (M-net) that's serving large parts of the city via FTTB though it's often slower than what Telekom offers because M-net hasn't installed G.fast-DPUs in every basement yet.