Should I renovate my flat (that I rent) with my own money?

25 posts in this topic

I just did this.  One need consider the pros and cons and find a means to protect oneself financially. 

I'm near on 55 and hope me next move involves a long dark car with a box in the arse end...in about 20-30 years time.  So, I looked at it longer term.  I invested 11.000€ in someone else's house.  Am I a bawbag?  I think not.  We had to build a complete bath as there was none.  I brought my old fitted kitchen, which he had to alter a wee bit.  This was completely an office area and shop previously.  Not a home.  Now it's a shop-flat.

I signed a 10 years lease and the landlady gave me a letter promising to not increase the rent for 7 years.  Odd number of years but she would no for 10.  After all was done, she actually offered to pay for 25% of the costs!  During the discussion, she didn't want the stress of handling the workers and the planning, which I did on me own. 

Also, her letter about the rental increase includes a statement about the selling of the house.  As the house is for sale, in the event it does sell, I am to be left free to reside until December 2028.  This is to be transferred to a potential buyer. 

All backed by lawyers.

I say, if one think it wise and have the funds to spare, do it.  A comfortable place to live is important.  Nothing worse than coming home to a place one despises. 

On 14.3.2019, 12:43:24, fraufruit said:

We replaced the ugly, brown Oma tiles in our bathroom floor to ceiling when we moved in.

re. tile paint, does anyone have a recommendation for a good one here in DE?

We have the Oma tiles in the downstairs loo and the bathroom. I am not one to chuck out perfectly serviceable stuff, but it is ugly. Also the floor of the downstairs loo - that might require a different solution. 

Yes, sorry, I was not meaning to suggest that you are a feckless wastrel, although I see it does rather read that way. It is rather more that I am extremely stingy. ;)