Vodafone DSL - extremely low peak times bandwidth

15 posts in this topic

I’ve been a Vodafone DSL customer since March 6th, and every evening since that date my bandwidth (product is advertised 50MB download) has dropped to around 5mbps. Having spent the last day or so reading hundreds of similar complaints from other Vodafone customers, I am gearing myself up to get in touch with the Verbraucherzentral and look in to terminating the contract, because I have a feeljng that no matter how much time I spend in contact with V’fone tech support this problem is not going to get fixed any time soon.

Any other Vodafone victims here?

I had the same problems, they fixed it within a few weeks but I guess that was more of a lucky coincidence. I've seen others wait 1 year, 2 years ...

Verbraucherschutz is a good option. I'd try:

- Widerruf (14 day cool off period for contracts made via Internet, phone or at your door), though Vodafone might not accept it since you already have the DSL running. (heise.de/-1506807)

- start a thread on the official Vodafone forum. Make a lot of speedtests and put all the screenshots (including Ticketnummer) into the thread

ISPs have to deliver certain speeds. Minimum Vodafone promises for DSL50 contract is 28 Mbps. If your speedtests show less than 28 Mbps on 2 separate days they have failed.

https://www.vodafone.de/media/downloads/pdf/VF_Red-IundP_DSL-50_Okt-16.pdf

If Vodafone can tell you a concrete date in the near future when they'll fix this I might accept. Otherwise I'd go for a Sonderkündigung (extraordinary termination). Usually you then give them a deadline with 3-4 weeks and threaten with Sonderkündigung if they don't manage to fix the problem in time. Verbraucherschutz or lawyer should be able to advise you on this.

For things like Widerruf, Sonderkündigung, deadline to fix etc. use Fax or Einwurfeinschreiben (for proof) and additionally document everything via your thread on their forum.

In the future I would recommend O2 DSL with monthly cancellation. They don't seem to be affected by huge slowdowns in the evenings and even if they do you can get out quickly without any hassle.

2 hours ago, sneaker said:

They don't seem to be affected by huge slowdowns in the evenings

That´s not my experience though.

I had the exact problem with cable, exactly at 6pm the bandwidth went down to a crawl and exactly at 11pm it went back to max speed.    After complaining several times they told me that they knew the problem in my area and an upgraded was already scheduled ... for October and it was February.

Nowadays it is better, they still do some sort of bandwidth shaping but they prioritize Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, and so on.   I only get sporadic issues with (non Kosher) IPTV services during peak hours.    At peak hours I don't really need my speed test to show me max speed, I need my crap to work and that's it.

Vodafone is great as long it is working, but when you have to deal with their customer support it is a nightmare. 

PS. Not sure if you are mixing MB/s and mbps intentionally or by mistake.

Dont forget, Vodafone could be either using Cable connection for DSL or Twisted Pair copper cable from T-kom... 

If you have a fritzbox.. you can log in and see the connection speed between you and the roadside cabinet

On 14/03/2019, 15:23:21, Krieg said:

Vodafone is great as long it is working, but when you have to deal with their customer support it is a nightmare. 

PS. Not sure if you are mixing MB/s and mbps intentionally or by mistake.

Actually to be fair to them, their online support has been pretty good so far, I ran several bandwidth tests using the tool on their site, (not the usual www.speedtest.net which by sheer chance shows slower speeds than V'fone's ^_^), and an agent replied directly to me to tell me they can see there is clearly something wrong. They have been keeping me informed of progress via text message. No improvement last night, but I guess there's a chance something will have changed before this evening.

(Yep, obviously I didn't mean 50MB, that would be silly.)

20 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Dont forget, Vodafone could be either using Cable connection for DSL or Twisted Pair copper cable from T-kom... 

If you have a fritzbox.. you can log in and see the connection speed between you and the roadside cabinet

Given that 50mbps is the fastest product any ISP has offered us at this address in the last two years, I would guess the latter :(

I switched to Vodafone DSL 1 year ago and I am not happy with them and can't wait to move away!

I have noticed a slowdown at peak times, although it seems to be better recently.  I have had more problems in the last year than I think I had in the last 5-8!

This week we got a text from them on Sunday telling us that they are "upgrading the network" in our area on Tuesday, and hence we had no internet on Tuesday!  What was worse was that we had to reconnection using a new modem installation code, which they forgot to send us.  So actually we did not get back online until Wednesday.  I was away this week, So my wife had to sort this out and as she works from home then she also have problems because of this.  And of course it was not possible to contact customer care so it was all a bit of a nightmare.

Although I have a 50mb/sec connection I actually get 44mb which is a bit less then I got under other operators, but still OK.

@dj_jay_smith To be honest the only reason I signed up for their DSL was that I needed a new iPhone (actually needed) and was loathe to shell out 700€ as a lump sum for a new one. They offered the phone along with a new mobile and DSL package for 80€ a month, only 10€ more than I was paying for my previous separate mobile and DSL products. If they can get this bandwidth issue sorted I'm prepared to stick with them.

On 14/03/2019, 08:36:50, Chocky said:

I’ve been a Vodafone DSL customer since March 6th, and every evening since that date my bandwidth (product is advertised 50MB download) has dropped to around 5mbps.

Just wondering if you speed tested over WIFI or hard wired. WIFI is unreliable especially over 2.4GHz.

Yep, I've only ever done the speed tests with my 2013 iMac connected with an ethernet cable directly to the router, no VPNs enabled. (Still no word from Vodafone, and the crappy bandwidth persists..)

As posted by @sneaker above, if you are consistently receiving less then the bandwidth then you can make a complaint and request compensation.  (see https://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/SharedDocs/Pressemitteilungen/DE/2017/04072017_Breitband.html?nn=265778 for more details)

So I suggest that you write a letter to Vodafone and state the law and state that you expect compensation for the dates where you haven't received this bandwidth and for them to fix the problem ASAP.  And that if they do not fix it, then you will consider to cancel your contract which you can do at anytime if they fail to fulfil the stated speeds.

This should hopefully motivate them to do something!

Latest update: Got a call today from Vodafone to tell me they had reopened the ticket I raised, (they closed it without letting me know first, proclaiming that the issue had been resolved :blink:) and that they are sending a Telekom Techniker round to check the setup at home. If the issue is related to my setup (it isn't) then I will be billed 50€ for the visit. Pretty bizarre considering that it is clearly them throttling the bandwidth at times when usage across the network is at its highest..

Oh vodafone. I stopped streaming and sold my desktop computer because of problems they can never fix and to top it all off, we are tied

up to them by contract for 1 more year.