Free one time session with a legal aid on the topic of divorce

2 posts in this topic

Dear all,
I am going through a separation that will lead to a divorce. A few months ago I went to a social service representative from caritas and she told me I have the possibility to attend a one time session with a legal aid/lawyer on the topic of divorce for free. I think she said this was a service offered by Jungendliche Amt, but I am not 100% certain. I made an appointment with Caritas to discuss this again, but as my appointment is 4 weeks away, I am wondering if any of you know where I can find this legal aid and what is it called. I just want to get started on this as soon as possible. 
Any suggestions are much appreciated. 
Kind regards, 
A

1 hour ago, Ana1984 said:

I am wondering if any of you know where I can find this legal aid and what is it called.

It's called Rechtshilfe and in order to be eligible you need to either have applied for a Beratungsschein at your local Amtsgericht first or to approach a Rechtsanwalt who offers the possibility of retroactively applying to the court on your behalf for a Beratungsschein.

Because the amount of time they use in filling out the appliction will reduce the amount of time available to give you advice it is much better to go to the court first before selecting a suitably qualified lawyer  (Fachanwalt/in für Familienrecht).

Please take your time to carefully read this thread for full details on the procedure.

How to get legal advice or representation in court if you have limited means or a low income.

Good luck and I hope everything works out well for you.

2B