Blue Card Suspension

4 posts in this topic

Here is my situation:

I am Canadian, moved to Berlin/Germany in 2013 and got a work contract and was granted 2 years work visa as software engineer.

My training is a technical IT certificate for a 2 year program, from a recognised Canadian university and not a diploma nor masters.

I have unlimited work contract as senior software engineer from well established German IT company.

When my work visa was up for renewal, I applied for Blue Card on the bases that it would qualify me for "permanent residence"/"settlement visa" sooner provided that my salary meets the minimum requirements and also with German Language of level A1.

When I met the requirements, I applied for the "settlement visa", and to my shock they responded by explaining that I was granted the Blue Card by mistake from their side. Their argument was that, my academic training does not meet the minimum requirements for the Blue Card and that I will have to withdraw my application for the settlement visa and also I will have to surrender my blue card.

I hired a lawyer and they charged a lot of money, 1000+ euro  just to deliver the same message that I got from the "Ausländerbehörde".

Finally my blue card was expiring and I figured I will switch back to normal work visa, but then again the process has been utterly painful, in that they claim I do not even meet the minimal requirements for a basic work visa, despite of my technical certificate as mentioned above, and that I have over 15 years of experience in the field and also worked in senior positions in my 2 jobs so far in Berlin.

Currently I was granted a temporary work visa for 3 months until I get an approval from "Bundesagentur fur Arbeit". As if to have traveled back in time to my first application 6 years ago.

To complicate things, just recently got approved for a mortgage loan and have a wife and small child all of us with foreign passports.

Had I know we would hit such obstacle, we would have never considered the mortgage loan.

I am completely baffled as to why this is happening suddenly after been living and working in Berlin for 6 years without any issues.

Any advise on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, the residence law was recently amended Oct 2017 to include experience in lieu of academic degree. See law here https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_aufenthg/englisch_aufenthg.html#p0364

I think you deserve a blue card with your 15 years experience or maybe I am missing something here. Can you quote this to them and see what they say or they rejected you with this also?

Anyway, except you have a very low salary I think they will approve you anyway so don’t fret 

@lonedev Brilliant! No, what you pointed out was never mentioned or considered by them or the lawyer, nor was I aware of it. Your input is extremely valuable and will certainly point it out toyer them next appointment. Greatly appreciated! 

Their argument was that, my academic training does not meet the minimum requirements for the Blue Card

The ABH made a mistake issuing you the Blue Card since you don't have a degree.

I hired a lawyer and they charged a lot of money, 1000+ euro  just to deliver the same message that I got from the "Ausländerbehörde".

What did the lawyer's fee include?

they claim I do not even meet the minimal requirements for a basic work visa, despite of my technical certificate as mentioned above, and that I have over 15 years of experience in the field and also worked in senior positions in my 2 jobs so far in Berlin.

Germany does not currently have a law that makes it possible for all foreigners without formal qualifications to obtain work permits. However, there is an exception for Canadian citizens (as well as a few others).

Currently I was granted a temporary work visa for 3 months until I get an approval from "Bundesagentur fur Arbeit". As if to have traveled back in time to my first application 6 years ago.

This doesn't seem to be right. Check out the VwVfG.

I am completely baffled as to why this is happening suddenly after been living and working in Berlin for 6 years without any issues.

Because the ABH realised that they made a mistake. 

1 hour ago, lonedev said:

Hey, the residence law was recently amended Oct 2017 to include experience in lieu of academic degree. See law here https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_aufenthg/englisch_aufenthg.html#p0364

I think you deserve a blue card with your 15 years experience or maybe I am missing something here. 

You are missing the fact that although the BMAS now has the legal right to specify professions for which over 5 years experience can be substituted for a degree, they have yet to specify any. Therefore, at the moment it is not possible for foreigners without recognised degrees to obtain Blue Cards for Germany.