All Boeing 737 MAX Aircraft Grounded

220 posts in this topic

I think they moved because a lot of white collar staff used to get laid off when things were quiet then rehired by Boeing when things got better, once the other big player turned up, people weren't willing to go back to Boeing to go through the cycle again.

On 3/13/2019, 12:03:12, razorsandroses said:

I'm not going to get into a technological battle of wits debate with you.

And it took me about 10 seconds to pull this up here:

See here

The Space Shuttle disasters had NOTHING to do with Software. You ain't got a clue.

Not that you would have found it yourself because you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. I mean, how could you have no heard about the lost spacecraft that occured due to a software conversion error?

No software, no spacecrafts. It is like saying that car tires are bad because something they run flat.

I did not say aircraft should have zero software, and you know it. So don't start twisting my words. I said they need to quit experimenting with new ideas and technology, and simply stick with what has been working.

What new ideas???

If anyone here is ignorant, it's you. So why don't you do yourself a favor and do your research before launching your attack. Then take your glass of water, sprinkle a teaspoon of "Shut the hell up" in it, stir until dissolved, and down it.

I work with facts, not couch engineer's unsubstantiated grumblings.

On 3/13/2019, 6:54:03, razorsandroses said:

Anna gave a perfect example with that self driving car that killed a pedestrian. Human lives are not expendable enough to play with newly developed software and programming that no one has ever tried before! You should have enough skill to drive a car by yourself--why put lives on the line by throwing new technology in the mix and automating everything?

Self driving just has to prove that it is marginally better than a human to be able to continue. Don't expect a no-accident solution at first.

How old are you? You sound like an old fart that got his work position replaced by a robot.

On 3/13/2019, 1:33:47, French bean said:

Ignorance? as a former aircraft techy, I'm not that ignorant.

So as an aircraft techy, what OS do you think they use in aircrafts? Hint: not Linux, not Windows. Has to be some real time OS for the critical components, which neither Linux or Windows can achieve.

On 3/13/2019, 1:33:47, French bean said:

Hatred of Microsoft? I own up to that one based on previous experience.

That just reveals ignorance. Please, this is 2019, not 2001, unsubstantiated attacks on Microsoft make you sound like a fossil.

you need to read the post byHH_Sailor  on page 2, think that answers who does the software. As for sounding like a Fossil, I like to think I'm a Dinosaur. It really pisses me off when just about everything requires software these days on the premise that it makes our lives easier, gives us more time to do other things, helps us achieve whatever that's supposed to mean when it leaves me frustrated 'cos it never seems to work as expected or as quickly as been led to believe, makes me feel insecure because it seems just about everything from Kettles to cars can be hacked in - let alone bankcards and I am not better off time wise because I end up having to sort out issues that should not have happened.

There's a lot to be said for actually standing back and not accepting the headlong rush into doing everything electronically. I like being a Dinosaur. I'm hard to be traced, I don't have shit loads of junk mail coming through my door. I am less likely to have my financial information stolen and I have a life away from Smart phones, narccississtic social media and Spam. My Pushbike works incredibly well when it comes to getting around. As for aircraft, they did work quite well before the drive to computerise everything on board, again the software is there mainly to reduce aircrew workload and increase efficiency - unless you're talking the latest generation of Stealth fighter of course in which case it's there because they would be unflyable otherwise.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

How old are you? You sound like an old fart that got his work position replaced by a robot.

Old enough not to squabble with learning disabled students off the short bus.

At least you don't have to worry about a robot replacing your job of emptying the city bins and cleaning up vomit from the U-Bahn stations. Be grateful for that.

8 minutes ago, French bean said:

It really pisses me off when just about everything requires software these days on the premise that it makes our lives easier, gives us more time to do other things, helps us achieve whatever that's supposed to mean when it leaves me frustrated 'cos it never seems to work as expected or as quickly as been led to believe, makes me feel insecure because it seems just about everything from Kettles to cars can be hacked in - let alone bankcards and I am not better off time wise because I end up having to sort out issues that should not have happened.

The modern product paradigm is that it is very easy to add value by software. Of course all companies will add more and more SW to their products.

Regarding poor quality of SW on non-critical systems, this is due to shortage of engineers in programming. The vast majority are software programmers, not engineers.

There's a lot to be said for actually standing back and not accepting the headlong rush into doing everything electronically. I like being a Dinosaur. I'm hard to be traced, I don't have shit loads of junk mail coming through my door.

Hard to be traced? Are you a secret agent?

I am less likely to have my financial information stolen

That is not a real danger in Europe. More in US.

and I have a life away from Smart phones, narccississtic social media and Spam.

I also don't have social media, does not mean I don't use technology.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Self driving just has to prove that it is marginally better than a human to be able to continue. Don't expect a no-accident solution at first.

For sure it needs to be tested properly but it'll come.  I think actually at some point, you'll have cars that are completely automated and you can't even take over if you wanted to. 

In a perfect world, we'd only have humans driving who are capable and sober but it's not a perfect world so if automated cars get drunk and bad drivers off the road, I'm all for them.

Mike, what ever happens in the States will happen here.In the last few years the banks in the UK have been actively pushing swipe cards, great, makes life easy. Only now, everybody has to buy a blocking card to put in their wallets so that their financial information can't be taken.

By hard to be traced I mean that my information about me is personal to me and I haven't given permission for anyone to just take it. Here's a scenario. A guy decides to take out life insurance but then a few years later develops a terminal illness. As he wasn't obliged to inform the insurer of such an illness when he took out the policy he did't bother later doing so but the terms and conditions may have changed or the insurer doesn't want to pay out. There's all his personal info being trawled through so that someone can get out of a contract.. Or how about the person as a minor carried out shoplifting (stole from a shop) the law as it stands in the UK says that any minor misdemeanor has to be swiped when you reach 18 I think and shouldn't be taken into account in the future. So matey applies for jobs and his past keeps cropping up because some twat has got hold of it without the person's knowledge let alone permission. The sad thing is we all have to use technology whether we want to or not. It is ruling our lives and ruining some. Some won't be able to find work  unless they do use social media because companies use it as part of their selection process. Banks won't give credit unless you have credit because to have no credit trail makes you a bad credit risk.

And aircraft will keep on crashing irrespective of how much or how little technology they have onboard. But if it's not broken don't fix it.

17 minutes ago, French bean said:

Mike, what ever happens in the States will happen here.In the last few years the banks in the UK have been actively pushing swipe cards, great, makes life easy. Only now, everybody has to buy a blocking card to put in their wallets so that their financial information can't be taken.

My mom recently got a new contactless visa card.  My sister worried because she's in a nursing home and the card could easily get stolen there.  So we asked about turning this option off.  They said no problem although there is a limit to how much you can steal on those because only payments under a certain amount are contactless and about every 5 times it asks for your PIN anyway.  But you can turn it off.

6 hours ago, catjones said:

Headquarters: Chicago, IL   Boeing moved their corporate headquarters there in 2001

There goes your argument.  Now what?  

Oh well spotted. You could even be an Anon on Qanon.

Seattle was/is significant for Microsoft. I loved Seattle when i went there in 1995. I was a huge fan on Northern Exposure back in the 90s. I grew this goatee back then in order to get laid with a lady there. God it looked awful. Things you when you want it eh? i even went to have my hair cut in Nordstrom for 25 stupid dollars. 

3 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Seattle was/is significant for Microsoft. I loved Seattle when i went there in 1995. I was a huge fan on Northern Exposure back in the 90s. I grew this goatee back then in order to get laid with a lady there. God it looked awful. Things you when you want it eh? i even went to have my hair cut in Nordstrom for 25 stupid dollars. 

My brother has lived in Seattle since 1984.  He says it's changed.  He's moving now. 

9 hours ago, LeonG said:

My brother has lived in Seattle since 1984.  He says it's changed.  He's moving now. 

Show him this clip of James Hetfield of Metallica on Rogan on why he left California for Colorado. 

Echoes with why I left Munich for the Alps as I love the skiing.

20 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Echoes with why I left Munich for the Alps as I love the skiing.

:lol:

25 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Show him this clip of James Hetfield of Metallica on Rogan on why he left California for Colorado. 

My brother is not fleeing the hippies.  He claims there's too many bums in Seattle now and the crime rate has increased.  He said something to do with more benefits there.   He's moving to a small village about 1.5 hrs. drive from Seattle.  He's self employed so he doesn't have to worry about jobs.

10 hours ago, French bean said:

No, American banks security is much lower than with European banks. In general, US banks are several years behind in terms of security and operations. Also the lack of a national ID card makes identity theft much, much easier in US.

Anyway, your worst finantial security issue is in your wallet, with your credit card. Nothing to do with Software!

10 hours ago, French bean said:

I've been pretty successful just using my phone for payments in the past months.   In my opinion it is even safer than the card because I have to unlock my phone with my fingerprint to be able to pay. 

49 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

No, American banks security is much lower than with European banks. In general, US banks are several years behind in terms of security and operations. Also the lack of a national ID card makes identity theft much, much easier in US.

Anyway, your worst finantial security issue is in your wallet, with your credit card. Nothing to do with Software!

Oh really?

Is that so?

Dude...pour yourself another glass of "Shut the hell up" and go color in your coloring book. You have absolutely ZERO idea what the hell you are talking about and just spouting off random fabricated claims you pulled out of your ass.

Here's a straw for you.