Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

All Boeing 737 MAX Aircraft Grounded

158 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, HEM said:

The AF447 crew didn't have a clue what was happening until seconds before impact (together with several club members we had a briefing at the BFU in Braunschweig where an ex-member is an investigator).

I used to work down the road from the BFU with an office overlooking the airport. Many of my co-workers fly gliders and one took me with him once. Glad I did not eat breakfast that day.

The Ethopian Airlines crash realy hit home for me. I have been flighing with them via Addis Adaba just last month.

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Its actually the angle that the slipstream is "meeting" the airfoil, which is not necessarily the same.

For example gliders on a winch launch have a rather steep angle to the horizon but the angle of attack is not all that high.

Ah, yep you explained it way better than I could. When I flew 20 years ago, I sort of understood it in principle, but my theory wasn't ultra hot. When I learnt to fly, they sat us in a harness under a loft beam, taught us the parachute landing fall (PLF) on a mattress, then we drove in a minibus to an illegal chunk of land in the Welsh mountains and jumped 100m off a slope! :) I landed in a wet bog!

This is the Bible of paragliding by Pagen HEM, are you familiar with it? https://www.amazon.com/Paragliding-Flight-Walking-Dennis-Pagen/dp/093631009X

15 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Ah, yep you explained it way better than I could. When I flew 20 years ago, I sort of understood it in principle, but my theory wasn't ultra hot. When I learnt to fly, they sat us in a harness under a loft beam, taught us the parachute landing fall (PLF) on a mattress, then we drove in a minibus to an illegal chunk of land in the Welsh mountains and jumped 100m off a slope! :) I landed in a wet bog!

This is the Bible of paragliding by Pagen HEM, are you familiar with it? https://www.amazon.com/Paragliding-Flight-Walking-Dennis-Pagen/dp/093631009X

No... You have never flown an aircraft... What utter shite you are spouting.

So many "experts" around these days Piggy ... not just your mate.

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump Mar 12

Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly. Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT. I see it all the time in many products. Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better. Split second decisions are...

...needed, and the complexity creates danger. All of this for great cost yet very little gain. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want Albert Einstein to be my pilot. I want great flying professionals that are allowed to easily and quickly take control of a plane!

As much as I hate the man and have considered him to be a personified joke that's made an embarrassment of my country to the point of me wanting to cut up my US passport and punch in the face anyone who calls me an American...

...I have to agree with him whole heartedly in that statement. Every bit of it. There is no reason why a someone should not be able to take control of a vehicle full of living souls because the onboard software has the final say in deciding the best maneuver for him!

They do don't they?

The manually take off and land but the computers do all the calculations during the flight.

Perhaps HEM can put us right.

13 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Actually the biggest mistake is installing the world's biggest computer virus:

Microsoft.

Utterly BS.   Windows 10 is a pretty decent operating system for general use.  We are not anymore in the 90s.

8 hours ago, razorsandroses said:

As much as I hate the man and have considered him to be a personified joke that's made an embarrassment of my country to the point of me wanting to cut up my US passport and punch in the face anyone who calls me an American...

...I have to agree with him whole heartedly in that statement. Every bit of it. There is no reason why a someone should not be able to take control of a vehicle full of living souls because the onboard software has the final say in deciding the best maneuver for him!

So you are so skilled and so fast at taking decisions that you can replace the ABS of a car.   You can feel which wheel is spinning with no traction and it a nanosecond you can release the brake on that wheel.   Provided someone build for you a car with 4 wheel sensors and 4 brakes, one per wheel, you can beat the ABS.    I doubt it.

P.S., I agree that self-driving car technology is still in diapers, but once it reaches maturity it will be pretty safe.   Just like software and hardware made aviation very safe.     

It sounds to me that the software cannot differentiate between climbing after take-off and a nose up attitude. Looking at the recorded altitude changes the aircraft is just not responding properly to the pilot inputs and is trying to overide them. I would have thought that the software would look at all sorts of information such as engine power settings, time in flight, undercarriage position or time since undercarriage was raised, flap settings etc, all these things can be used to give an indication of what the pilot expects the aircraft to do.

Graphs are shown here on this site.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47562727

As HEM has already said, computers can take off and land the A/C, he watched this on a flight to Manchester.

The introduction of computers to fly the aircraft ( a long with other things ), has resulted in the lowest number of airplane accidents ever - every 5 years of so, planes get even safe - partly due to improved software.

Sure the programmers will make 'mistakes', these mistakes, after a crash will be looked at and new version of the software introduced - thus become ever safer.- and the story goes on and on -> to a safer plane. Every accident is a tragedy, but lets learn from this and improve software and pilot training.

If airplanes or other things were never allowed to develope, then we could be stuck with the same old safety records.

Pilots make mistakes as well, their training requirements are looked at and improved also in an ever changing air space.

stopping mainline development in software and other areas, left us we the Trabant and concordski - do we really want to stop mainline updates to our existing airplanes ? - which has said, has made our airplanes much safe than 1970's airplanes

11 hours ago, razorsandroses said:

I believe it, too. It is obvious that Trump didn't write it. Too lucid and whole sentences.

15 hours ago, Anna66 said:

"Documents reveal that pilots reported engaging autopilot only for the aircraft's nose to pitch lower, prompting the warning system to exclaim: "Don't sink! Don't sink!"

To which the German pilot asks, "Don't sink about what?"

I'll leave now.

Passenger recollection...

Here's an article I came across from someone who recently flew on a Max 8. 

After reading his chilling experience, I think it's safe to say those things are clearly flawed requiring some serious comprehensive re-valuation, and I'm surprised Boeing themselves have not done a complete recall of this aircraft.

when you find an article written by a pilot who can corroborate events like those described in the link were actually related to a control system malfunction, I'd be interested. 

the one linked isn't compelling.  This reminds me of 9-11 conspiracy nuts who cite the testimony of people on the ground saying "it sounded like an explosion" when the towers collapsed to support their crazy ideas that the towers were blown up (eg exploded, obviously, since that's what it sounded like - case closed!)  

If he or you or anyone else thinks pilots/crew would keep mum after having (and surviving!) a first hand experience with this particular suspected control system malfunction, you're not thinking straight.

1 hour ago, razorsandroses said:

Passenger recollection...

Here's an article I came across from someone who recently flew on a Max 8. 

After reading his chilling experience, I think it's safe to say those things are clearly flawed requiring some serious comprehensive re-valuation, and I'm surprised Boeing themselves have not done a complete recall of this aircraft.

I smell some BS, either in the article itself or in the comments   Notice how the article is very vague, we were at 4000 or 5000 feet high and there was a nosedive, not big, max 200 feet ...

Then someone, probably more knowledgeable, asks hey, have your checked here in this website database in which you can find all the information about what actually happened?

And the answer is of course YES, checked just after take-off while still in the plane, and complemented with now very accurate data that does not confirm what it was described before.  Well, if you have checked the website just after the incident as you claimed, why did you write your blog entry with vague data?

57 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

when you find an article written by ... ...I'd be interested.

I'm not here for your entertainment.

5 hours ago, fraufruit said:

To which the German pilot asks, "Don't sink about what?"

I'll leave now.

That reminds me of this...

23 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Boeing is based in Seattle. Who else is HQ'd in Seattle?

Headquarters: Chicago, IL   Boeing moved their corporate headquarters there in 2001

There goes your argument.  Now what?