Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Easy to open (preferably free) bank account

13 posts in this topic

Hello all

I left Germany in 2012 and am now in my native UK. I kept a Postbank account open until last year.

I’m not planning to live in Germany again, but I am thinking about working there very temporarily as a teacher - part of a long-term semi-retirement plan - and would ideally need a German bank account.

My German’s OK so no worries about opening an account, but if I recall, banks require Anmeldungbestätung and such paperwork, which I obviously won’t have.

if I can’t open any sort of bank account in Germany, it won’t be a huge hindrance, but it would make life easier.

Sounds a bit dodgy reading the above, but do any banks offer an account for “temporary residents”?

Foreigners can hold an account with Deutschbank, it will not be free but you would not need to have a german address tand you can open it online.

You can open an account at DKB.  I have heard of people doing it who live outside Germany.  It's free but it's set up a bit weird.  Basically your savings account is linked to your visa card and you can withdraw money from your visa card at ATM's without a fee.  However, if you withdraw money on your EC card, you are slapped with a hefty fee, 10€ or something.  You can however pay in stores with either card without it costing you.

I'm with Wüstenrot which also offers free accounts but I don't know if they allow you to open one if you are not in Germany.

12 minutes ago, LeonG said:

You can open an account at DKB.  I have heard of people doing it who live outside Germany. 

DKB now only accepts applications from non-residents if they have German citizenship, sorry.

Thanks Panda, Leon and Susie for the helpful replies. I also received a nice PM about another option called N26. I’m surprised there are any options for non-residents with all the increased checks in most countries, but I’m happy that it’s doable.

Still a top forum 😀

Not according to their website. I’m in the U.K. now and can register at my U.K. address. 

1 minute ago, hodd said:

Not according to their website. I’m in the U.K. now and can register at my U.K. address. 

There's N26 UK and N26 Germany. You are referring to N26 UK (which offers a UK sterling account) and requires a UK address but Panda's link is to the German N26, which is the one you want (euro account).

Tallicame's statement that you need a German postal address is incorrect. They'll send you the card to any of these countries:

https://support.n26.com/en-de/getting-started/account/can-i-open-an-n26-account-in-my-country

4 hours ago, hodd said:

Please update your profile to show that (i.e. not "Berlin").