Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Damage claim by Sixt

30 posts in this topic

I also had a similar situation in South Africa.  I think that they assume by my American accent that I was going to go back home and would just pay instead of giving them trouble.  I called my credit card company and told them not to pay and then I fought the charge.  (They were charging me for a tire blow out, claiming I was off-road when in reality I was on a major highway when it happened).  I think when they realized that I lived in the same town the gave up pretty quickly.  

Pretty sleazy which is why I always make sure that my credit card covers rentals.  Let them fight it out.  

22 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

So to bring this back into perspective, the op has only got himself to blame.

Thank you! I fully understand that. In any case, I have learned a good lesson. The only thing I was trying to do was to see if I could get a discount on the lesson. Apparently, not many options for that either. :(

22 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

For all we know the op could of caused the damage and is trying to pull a fast one, the fact is he didn't inspect the vehicle and didn't do a proper handover on collection and return.

Yup, I could very well be trying that.

22 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The only solution seems to be taking photos of the entire vehicle when renting, panel by panel, inside the doors and interior. 

This is my plan from now on. I had rented transporters from Enterprise in the past and their policies were much better.

Another thought about deductibles: I also thought we would not need additional insurance when we rented a large RV in the US last summer, being a good driver and all. Then, on a narrow road in Yosemite, the driver of another RV drifted a bit out of a curve and hit my driver's side mirror with his mirror. My mirror came around and smashed the driver's side window and I was sitting in a pool of broken glass. In addition to losing a day of our holidays, we also had to pay for the mirror, window and damage to the door, because the a$$hole fled the scene and being showered with glass, I didn't manage to read his/her license (the letters are ridiculously small in the US, anyway). Next time, 0 deductible...

This happened to me with Budget as well. However, I returned the car on a Sunday, and because they weren't open, I had to leave it on the street overnight.  I sent them a letter stating that the damage must've happened while on the street overnight, and had I known they'd charge me for damage when the car was in my care, I would've 'safely' parked it somewhere else (this wasn't at all true). Then I demanded my money back.  Within a week, the money was back in my account without a word.  

I also hadn't booked the Vollkaskoversicherung but always do now! I think it's almost guaranteed that they'll look for something and find something when one hasn't booked it.    

3 minutes ago, Santitas said:

I think it's almost guaranteed that they'll look for something and find something when one hasn't booked it.    

But when one has booked it and they find something, they will definitely get their money. Oder?

OTOH, I don't guess they could get away with that very often.

On 3/12/2019, 7:00:10, fraufruit said:

The only solution seems to be taking photos of the entire vehicle when renting, panel by panel, inside the doors and interior. 

Depends on Country ( and I do not rent that often )

In Germany, every single time, ditto Spain & UK., Switzerland etc.

I rented a 4 wheel drive pickup here in Chile long term, handed it back yesterday, pointed out where i had bashed the hell out of it &  they didnt bat an eyelid. :)

So, in the end I paid the amount. An expensive lesson. Rental agents are now going to be dealing with a more difficult customer who will insist on having every damage on record. :D

I sometimes think that this is a busines model. I did rent a small car when visiting Mallorca. They did recommend a zero deductible at very low cost which I agreed to (brand new car it was!). Arriving at the hotel I did ask for parking (the obvious spots were all taken) and was shown a small spot at the curbside right in front of the hotel. Lots of bla bla stay right here. Later at night I went out again and when returning found a small spot in the official parking lot. Next morning grande drama. Some car sitting right there in the place that I had  deserted the night before unnoticed by hotel staff had been crashed into. It seemed that people were a bit confused but well. Happy that I had been lucky enough to find that really minispot somewhere else in the parking lot I went my way driving around the island and afternoon returning to hotel. Same guy as last afternoon this time insisted I park at the curb again and silly me I did not bother checking for another spot later. Surprise next morning my car was bumped. The was the hotel staff dealt with it made me feel that now insurance will pay for the brand new car to the rental agency and they can sell a cheap car to a friend.  

On 12/03/2019, 11:00:10, fraufruit said:

It's what I do, when we moved here, we rented a 7.5 tonne. I photographed everything in view of the lady doing the paperwork but unfortunately broke a door mirror before returning the vehicle. The bill was 100€ I think. Now this was Dec '12 so not that long ago with Eurocar.

The shocking thing was that when I got to Dover the vehicle had to be weighed before boarding the ship, it weighed 8.5 tonnes. That was with just normal houshold furniture and possesions and we'd already brought some stuff over.

On 3/11/2019, 11:54:44, RPC said:
I have a received a claim from Sixt for damage to a transporter I had rented. The transporter already had 18 separate points of damage listed at the time I took it. The damage they claim is to paint on the edge of passenger door. I believe it was there already and that I didn't notice it at the time of rental. It is not something obvious unless you open the door. I had given this response to Sixt when they contacted me after returning the vehicle. Now, I have a letter from them saying they looked at everything and have decided the damage is from my side. They are asking me to pay the deductible, a hefty 750 Euros. Anyone faced a similar situation? What are the options?

I've had a similar experience in the past, also with Sixt. Also rented a transporter and they claimed we added a couple small dents and a scrape on the side, and wanted 600€. BULLSHIT. On a quiet weekday summer afternoon in the middle of Germany, we drove from one large roomy apartment building parking lot to another, without coming anywhere close to a bridge, tunnel, wall, other cars, or anything rough, jagged, scrapey or pointy. Seriously, there was zero chance. I protested quite vocally, and they backed down. The guy on the phone (manager?) then admitted that it was regular practice to send out the claims to the last few renters and see who pays and fesses up or not. I've never gone back to Sixt since then (even if it is standard practice among them all). 

This is obviously a legal scam. We all know they won't make the repairs, and we all know that 750€ is too much. I had a co-worker once who used to work during college at rental place back in the US. He straight up said that they'd often send out such damage repair claims and pocket the "extra" money for themselves. Probably illegal, but he was young and didn't care, and their boss was in on it too. Also scammed drivers very often on filling up the gas tank, but I forget how they managed that.

On 3/12/2019, 11:00:10, fraufruit said:

Might sound fussy, but I always a point of doing this before I drive off, preferably making an obvious show of it in front of the employees. I am sure they are rolling their eyes, but it's all part of the game isn't it? I also do the same when I return it, I ask them to look it over and tell me if there is any 'new' damage, and will have my previous photos on hand to show them "nope, already there".