Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Damage claim by Sixt

30 posts in this topic

Hello Fellow TT members,

I have a received a claim from Sixt for damage to a transporter I had rented. The transporter already had 18 separate points of damage listed at the time I took it. The damage they claim is to paint on the edge of passenger door. I believe it was there already and that I didn't notice it at the time of rental. It is not something obvious unless you open the door. I had given this response to Sixt when they contacted me after returning the vehicle. Now, I have a letter from them saying they looked at everything and have decided the damage is from my side. They are asking me to pay the deductible, a hefty 750 Euros. Anyone faced a similar situation? What are the options?

Thanks in advance,
RPC

Thanks for posting this. I don't know the answer but will never rent anything from Sixt in the future based on your experience.

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

The question was already answered on Facebook last evening... 

Yup. I was hoping for a wider range of responses. In the end, I might have to pay the deductible but there is no harm in checking.

2 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Does your credit card cover for rental damage?  

Am trying to figure that out. I have the Amazon branded credit card from LBB. I think it does not cover it but I will look through the details.

3 hours ago, RPC said:

They are asking me to pay the deductible, a hefty 750 Euros.

Repairing a nick of paint on the edge of a door doesn't cost over € 750. Methinks they want to paint the whole vehicle at your expense. You know, the other 18 points of damage.

Do you have Rechtschutzversicherung?

They should at least supply you with the official estimate of the repair with exactly what it entails.

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Repairing a nick of paint on the edge of a door doesn't cost over € 750. Methinks they want to paint the whole vehicle at your expense. You know, the other 18 points of damage.

That could very well be. And I am pretty sure they won't do anything for a while. I mean, some of the existing scratches had penetrated to the metal and were not repaired.

Do you have Rechtschutzversicherung?

Unfortunately not. I need to get all these soon. As of now, it is only medical and car insurance.

They should at least supply you with the official estimate of the repair with exactly what it entails.

They did. With items like removing/covering each part of the door in detail with separate costs. Adds up to a bit over 1400.

11 hours ago, RPC said:
Hello Fellow TT members,

I have a received a claim from Sixt for damage to a transporter I had rented. The transporter already had 18 separate points of damage listed at the time I took it. The damage they claim is to paint on the edge of passenger door. I believe it was there already and that I didn't notice it at the time of rental. It is not something obvious unless you open the door. I had given this response to Sixt when they contacted me after returning the vehicle. Now, I have a letter from them saying they looked at everything and have decided the damage is from my side. They are asking me to pay the deductible, a hefty 750 Euros. Anyone faced a similar situation? What are the options?

Thanks in advance,
RPC

Blimey, we haven't had this topic pop up in a while.

This happens so often with rentals especially Transporters and with @Acton every rental company not just Sixt.

There's a few problems here which unfortunately all the blame lies with the renter.

1. The op didn't check the vehicle for the damages listed and/or other damages.

2. Vehicle was signed for as per Accident report.

3. The op opted not to take out their VollKasko policy because like everyone else they are such a good driver and they were most probably only going round the corner nothing will ever happen.

4. From the description it sounds as though the op dropped the vehicle back without inspection.

5.The op failed to read the T&C or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Even if the op had @fraufruit Rechtschutzversicherung it most probably wouldn't help him/her in this situation because their signature is all over the paperwork.

An expensive mistake that could of been avoided and it's nobody else's fault other than the op, learn from this lesson, move on and pay up.

1 hour ago, Sir Percy B said:

Blimey, we haven't had this topic pop up in a while.  CORRECT

This happens so often with rentals especially Transporters and with @Acton every rental company not just Sixt. CORRECT

There's a few problems here which unfortunately all the blame lies with the renter.

1. The op didn't check the vehicle for the damages listed and/or other damages.  CORRECT

2. Vehicle was signed for as per Accident report. CORRECT

3. The op opted not to take out their VollKasko policy because like everyone else they are such a good driver and they were most probably only going round the corner nothing will ever happen. CORRECT

4. From the description it sounds as though the op dropped the vehicle back without inspection. CORRECT

5.The op failed to read the T&C or we wouldn't be having this conversation. CORRECT

Even if the op had @fraufruit Rechtschutzversicherung it most probably wouldn't help him/her in this situation because their signature is all over the paperwork.  NOT sure... Sixt dont like Lawyers

An expensive mistake that could of been avoided and it's nobody else's fault other than the op, learn from this lesson, move on and pay up.   CORRECT

8 Out of 9 aint bad... but could do better!  :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

3. The op opted not to take out their VollKasko policy because like everyone else they are such a good driver and they were most probably only going round the corner nothing will ever happen.

To be fair, AFAIK Sixt does not offer zero deductible insurance for LKWs, and based on the description from the OP (750 EUR deductible) it seems that he took the best insurance that Sixt offers which is a bit under 30 EUR per day.  There was no better option that would helped him.   And it makes you wonder why Sixt if offering those transporter at such ridiculous prices (25 EUR per day included 100km and third party insurance), and only offers an insurance upgrade that is expensive and still has a very high deductible.   

14 minutes ago, Krieg said:

To be fair, AFAIK Sixt does not offer zero deductible insurance for LKWs, and based on the description from the OP (750 EUR deductible) it seems that he took the best insurance that Sixt offers which is a bit under 30 EUR per day.  There was no better option that would helped him.   And it makes you wonder why Sixt if offering those transporter at such ridiculous prices (25 EUR per day included 100km and third party insurance), and only offers an insurance upgrade that is expensive and still has a very high deductible.   

It's been a couple of years but I moved with a SIXT van. I originally opted for a policy with deductible. But when I picked up the van the woman advised me to take their zero deductible. She said that cars are one thing, but when their already beaten up vans are used for moving then it can be a risky game. It was of course a sales pitch but to be fair, she seemed to be talking hones sense. She basically admitted that as they are already so beaten up, I wouldn't be able to check over all the damage before taking over the van. And in her experience, people easily pick up scratches when moving which they will then find out and pass on.

I took it. I think it doubled the price from €30 to €60 but it seemed worth it to me. I actually scratched the floor of the van when loading somethiong so it paid off in the end.

So in 2017 they definitely offered zero excess. Oh, and they definitely won't fix the scratch either. They'll charge for it, but it'll just become another item on the list for the next guy to check.

12 minutes ago, theGman said:

I took it. I think it doubled the price from €30 to €60 but it seemed worth it to me. I actually scratched the floor of the van when loading somethiong so it paid off in the end.

So in 2017 they definitely offered zero excess. Oh, and they definitely won't fix the scratch either. They'll charge for it, but it'll just become another item on the list for the next guy to check.

You are correct.  It will cost around  25 EUR per day after talking the normal Vollkasko.

Still the whole thing looks to me crappy, it is like they are making the business out of the insurances and predating from the ones who do not take the insurance.  i.e. Rent the van for 25 EUR and pay 20 EUR for Vollkasko insurance and another 25 EUR for zero deductible.

3 hours ago, Krieg said:

Krieg, yes lets be fair, when was the last you rented from Sixt cause you couldn't be any further from the facts if you tried.

The op had 3 options,

Vollkasko- und Diebstahlschutz  €21.99 which the op selected.

1: Selbsbeteiligung:€750.00         Inclusive

2: Selbsbeteiligung:€450.00         €12.00

3: Selbsbeteiligung:€0                  €24.00

In total the average daily rental would cost circa €71.00 with 100km free. I think that's pretty reasonable considering that's the equivalent of €6.00 per hour fully insured.

So to bring this back into perspective, the op has only got himself to blame.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

You are correct.  It will cost around  25 EUR per day after talking the normal Vollkasko.

Still the whole thing looks to me crappy, it is like they are making the business out of the insurances and predating from the ones who do not take the insurance.  i.e. Rent the van for 25 EUR and pay 20 EUR for Vollkasko insurance and another 25 EUR for zero deductible.

Show me a major rental company that does it any different?

For all we know the op could of caused the damage and is trying to pull a fast one, the fact is he didn't inspect the vehicle and didn't do a proper handover on collection and return.

The only solution seems to be taking photos of the entire vehicle when renting, panel by panel, inside the doors and interior. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

For all we know the op could of caused the damage and is trying to pull a fast one, the fact is he didn't inspect the vehicle and didn't do a proper handover on collection and return.

Sorry to do this Sir Percy, but it's "could have" not "could of".  This is the second time today I've read this here on TT and it's driving me crazy!

17 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

Krieg, yes lets be fair, when was the last you rented from Sixt cause you couldn't be any further from the facts if you tried.

I already posted about my mistake, no need to be that impolite.   And yes, I do not rent so much from Sixt because of bad experiences with them, so it is a long time.

Show me a rental company that does it any different?

Europcar.  They include the Vollkasko that Sixt offers in their basic price.   Then you can reduce your deductible to something around 400 EUR.  And I don't really know why, but when I pick up the car I always ask the person if they could upgrade me to zero deductible and they always do it at no extra cost.  I am not sure if that's a general policy or not.

But for LKWs I just use local small companies, their conditions are normally much better.

15 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The only solution seems to be taking photos of the entire vehicle when renting, panel by panel, inside the doors and interior. 

Even this might be complicated because you would need very good lighting to prove the tiny scratch they are complaining about was there.

33 minutes ago, Tap said:

Sorry to do this Sir Percy, but it's "could have" not "could of".  This is the second time today I've read this here on TT and it's driving me crazy!

I think you need to get out more.😉

30 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I already posted about my mistake, no need to be that impolite. 

My apologise.:)

30 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Even this might be complicated because you would need very good lighting to prove the tiny scratch they are complaining about was there.

Interesting, how do you know it was a tiny scratch?