Street checked by die Polizei

43 posts in this topic

Hahaha! with all the Datenschutzerklärung we have to sign here, I guess I hoped to have more control of my data even with the police :P

15 minutes ago, onemark said:

@lisa13

If I'm walking along the road not aware of having broken the law, I expect to be told by the police precisely WHY they wish to check my identity. I accept that we have to be able to identify ourselves but in a democracy I expect the state to be answerable to me.

And why exactly are you making such a fuss here now? It has nothing to do with the op anymore, he was told twice WHY (does that look any better in capital letters?) he was stopped. 

12 minutes ago, MonsieurLaBear said:

Why, if I matched the description and they stopped me, did they just note down my info and not run it up their database right there? OR if they figured out right away that I wasn't the one they were looking for did they continue to take down all of my details? 

Jeez, you can also talk yourself into a paranoia ... what are you scared of? Checking you in the database takes time (would you then have complained here that you had to wait?), maybe they were in a radio hole, maybe 27 other checks were running through the radio center at the same time, so they wrote down who you are and went on searching. 

4 minutes ago, MonsieurLaBear said:

Hahaha! with all the Datenschutzerklärung we have to sign here, I guess I hoped to have more control of my data even with the police :P

If you are so worried because you have been checked once (!) every seven (!) years, contact the Landespolizei and request information about your stored data: https://www.service-bw.de/leistung/-/sbw/Personenbezogene+Daten++Auskunft+ueber+gespeicherte+Daten+beantragen-725-leistung-0 

I have been at Munich airport around 300 times and wasn't stopped/checked once. What is wrong with me 🤔?

3 hours ago, MonsieurLaBear said:

wondering if this is normal

To answer your question: Yes, it is normal for the police in every country to stop suspects who match the description of a criminal.  The idea here is that when they do that, they apprehend the perp.  And, NO, the police do not "owe" you an explanation that meets your definition of "complete" details for why it was done...even if you are a citizen and pay your taxes and you know a cop who lives down the street.

@ catjones: Yes it is normal (at least here in Hessen) to expect precisely that.

See:

Section 18, Subs. 6 of the Hessian State Public Safety and Order Act (§18, Abs. 6, HSOG): "If the personal details of the person affected are taken, that person is to be informed of the reason for establishing their identity provided this does not adversely affect the purpose of this measure." (My translation.) This applies to Hessen. I have not checked any other corresponding legislation elsewhere in Germany.

Elaboration:

The police have the authority to arrest, detain and use force, up to and including deadly force. The ordinary man/woman in the street does not. These are greater powers that must by definition entail greater responsibility in terms of answerability. One of my views of democracy is that the state is answerable to the citizen, not the other way round, as many members of the police think. If the police get pissed off when people demand their rights, there's something wrong somewhere. So much for "Freund und Helfer", then.

15 minutes ago, onemark said:

One of my views of democracy is that the state is answerable to the citizen, not the other way round, as many members of the police think. If the police get pissed off when people demand their rights, there's something wrong somewhere. 

What are you talking about, anyway? Have you had any problem with the police yourself or are you just complaining in general? The only person who got "pissed" somehow is you... does that now mean that something is wrong with you? 

I'm fine. Thank you. :D

To know why the police wish to check someone's identity if they are not aware of having broken the law is a perfectly reasonable expectation.  Or do you have some kind of problem with that?

8 minutes ago, onemark said:

I'm fine. Thank you. :D

To know why the police wish to check someone's identity if they are not aware of having broken the law is a perfectly reasonable expectation.  Or do you have some kind of problem with that?

A perfectly justified expectation, which was met twice by stating the reason.

So, why are you making such a fuss here? Do you have some kind of problem answering that question?

I see victims...  Must be terrible spending your life looking over your shoulder for racism, sexism...

btw, i have never had a problem with cops in Germany , Canada or the USA. When stopped, and I have been many times, I am polite, accept they are doing their job and have the right to go home safely to their family and am on my way quickly. (except for that one time between Canada and the USA, but that is another story.)  And I still made it out unscathed.

23 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I have been at Munich airport around 300 times and wasn't stopped/checked once. What is wrong with me 🤔?

Don't tell me you were even carrying your lightsaber with you?!

On 3/8/2019, 3:13:54, MonsieurLaBear said:

Why, if I matched the description and they stopped me, did they just note down my info and not run it up their database right there? OR if they figured out right away that I wasn't the one they were looking for did they continue to take down all of my details? 

It has nothing to do with a database.  When the criminal police (regardless of level) is looking for someone, the uniformed officers know little.  The information is taken and passed along to the relevant kripo unit.  If the uniformed police who stopped you had more information and you matched, you would have been taken along.  As you were obviously not the person they were looking for (from your perspective) you have nothing to worry about.

When an APB (to use layman's term) is put out, whatever information is known is passed along.  In this case, it was most like not much. 

I would venture an experienced guess that the criminal police were looking for an Indian male, perhaps one who rides or was riding a bicycle, and your info was passed along.  You might be contacted and perhaps not.  It would seem the kripo had limited information and therefore the uniformed police as well.  This has nothing to do with racial profiling.

It is natural for a person to ask why or what's about.  This is three fold.  First, and while I've already written it, they had little to none.  Secondly, It falls into the category (especially if you are not the person being for whom they are searching) of none of your business.  Lastly, time.  To waste time explaining things to you is less time spent looking for the person they are after. 

21 hours ago, onemark said:

If the police get pissed off when people demand their rights, there's something wrong somewhere.

I'm picturing a roadblock on a busy street.  A crime was just committed and the police are searching each car for a described criminal.  In your world, each car that gets stopped in the queue the driver asks. "What's going on here"? and the police replies with a detailed explanation of who, what, where, when and why...and if they don't (to your satisfaction) each driver brings charges against the police.  Meanwhile, the horns are blowing and the cars are pilling up.  But we demand our "rights".

You've been german brainwashed into thinking precision is perfection.

17 hours ago, MonsieurLaBear said:

Thank god you're not the cop that almost racially profiled me :p 

You seem to be the only one on this thread who has a problem with your skin colour!

On 3/8/2019, 3:01:04, razorsandroses said:

For the love of God and all that is holy, do not ever go to America. Cops will stop you for looking at them the wrong way while walking past their cruiser. Literally. (It actually happened to me)

Were you beaten with a baton? Did they taze you? Were you punched in the face? Were you thrown to the hood of their car while the contents of your pockets were emptied out? Did they take you to their station and hold you in jail overnight until your identity was confirmed? Did the pepper spray you for saying something they didn't like? Did they shoot your dog? WERE YOU SHOT?

Bad boys Bad Boys... watcha gonna do? watcha gonna do when they come for you???

On 3/8/2019, 4:59:55, catjones said:

To answer your question: Yes, it is normal for the police in every country to stop suspects who match the description of a criminal.  The idea here is that when they do that, they apprehend the perp.  And, NO, the police do not "owe" you an explanation that meets your definition of "complete" details for why it was done...even if you are a citizen and pay your taxes and you know a cop who lives down the street.

In many countries the citizen can ask the reason why is being stopped/controlled, including Germany.    The OP asked and received a reasonable answer, so he can move on with his life.

On 3/9/2019, 4:35:07, BayrischDude said:

I would venture an experienced guess that the criminal police were looking for an Indian male, perhaps one who rides or was riding a bicycle, and your info was passed along.  

Come on, at least be honest, you know it is not really like that, they were not looking for an Indian, they were looking for a Südländer.

5 hours ago, Krieg said:

they were not looking for an Indian, they were looking for a Südländer.

What on earth makes you think all criminals are Südländer?  There are plenty that are white, indian and everything else.  You shouldnt let your bigotted views cloud your thoughts of who the police might be after.

4 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

What on earth makes you think all criminals are Südländer?  

That's not what I meant.  German Police use the euphemism "Südländer" to refer to anyone with dark skin or at least non-white.   So in this case, most probably they were not looking for an Indian with a dark jacket riding a bike (because looking for an Indian doesn't even make sense), they were probably looking for a Südländer with a dark jacket riding a bike.

Just Googling "Polizei Südländer" would bring more information and some PC discussions about how the Police should not use that euphemism.

P.S., All these is nonsense of course, if the Police is looking for someone it would help to know if it is a black person or an albino, however people would  start talking about racial profiling.  But I agree that the Polcie should not use dumb euphemisms like Südländer.   It is even a bad euphemism because they put Italians, Spaniards, Romanians, Greeks, Albanians, Syrians, Turkish, etc all in the same bucket so it is basically useless because it means anyone non white (but not Asian).

P.P.S., Random example:

P.P.P.S:  https://www.stupidedia.org/stupi/S%C3%BCdl%C3%A4nder

43 minutes ago, Krieg said:

German Police use the euphemism "Südländer" to refer to anyone with dark skin or at least non-white.

Actually it´s not an euphemism but simply a term for people with a darker complexion from European mediterranean countries and Portugal (I - as a native speaker - wouldn´t regard Turks as Südländer as Turkey is mostly Asian). It doesn´t necessarily have a positive or negative connotation. There is also the adjective südländisch which depending on the context might even have a positive connotation (e. g. südländische Lebensfreude).