Street checked by die Polizei

43 posts in this topic

I was cycling back home from work yesterday as usual when a Polizei auto from behind me stopped the car in my path. Two officers got out and immediately asked for my ausweis.

The lady gave me the reason saying they were looking for someone and I matched the description(Jacket colour, height). She noted my name,address, asked for my telephone number and DOB 

I politely again asked what this was all for hoping to get more clarity on what was happening. She repeated the reason given and said it'll be good if nothing comes up in their search and drove away.

 

This is my first ever experience in the 7 years I've been living here, and am left wondering if this is normal or if anybody can tell me this has nothing to do with any sort of  racial profiling (I am of Indian origin btw.)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its never happende to me 

 

But I would tend to accept them, at their word.

 

Maybe a crime was reported and they were just checking all the people around the area.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, but the innocent citizen is entitled to know why he or she is being checked. In my view at least, that's fair and reasonable.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, onemark said:

No, but the innocent citizen is entitled to know why he or she is being checked. It's fair and reasonable.

 

The innocent citizen (and also the guilty one) must identify himself to the police upon request. The reason for the check was given. Twice. That's is fair and reasonable.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, onemark said:

No, but the innocent citizen is entitled to know why he or she is being checked. In my view at least, that's fair and reasonable.

 

To be fair, they did. He matched the description of someone they were looking for. I had the same a couple of years back. They briefly searched my car too. And I am very white. To the OP...it's not a very comfortable experience but I would chalk this one up to a life experience for now.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had something similar happen to me last year.

Was cycling with the wife and we saw a load of cops, one of them saw me and tracked me as i cycled around the corner, then a minute later the cops rolled close to us and it was awkward for a little bit cause i had no clue why they weren't just overtaking us.

then the guy rolled down the window and asked us to stop.

 

when we did they asked for my ausweis, I handed my health insurance card, the two of them said like "not him" and handed me my card back and left. But i presume it was for a similar reason, because we saw a police helicopter flying over the forest then slightly later.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MonsieurLaBear said:

I was cycling back home from work yesterday as usual when a Polizei auto from behind me stopped the car in my path. Two officers got out and immediately asked for my ausweis.

The lady gave me the reason saying they were looking for someone and I matched the description(Jacket colour, height). She noted my name,address, asked for my telephone number and DOB 

I politely again asked what this was all for hoping to get more clarity on what was happening. She repeated the reason given and said it'll be good if nothing comes up in their search and drove away.

 

This is my first ever experience in the 7 years I've been living here, and am left wondering if this is normal or if anybody can tell me this has nothing to do with any sort of  racial profiling (I am of Indian origin btw.)

Is that you MrBear?

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand all that (honest!) but sometimes the cops don't like people asking "why". We're expected to just shut up and do as we're told.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, onemark said:

I understand that but sometimes the cops don't like people asking "why". We're supposed to just shut up and do as we're told.

 

That's also true. I don't like that. I'm not a cop so I don't know if there is any real reason not to give that info out but I can't think of many.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been stopped 4 times since I moved here in the late eighties, of which 3 times were for alcohol control while driving (1 x in a mass-control late at night and 2 x pulled over by a police car 1 of those in the afternoon, on none of these occasions had I been drinking), the other time was on my bicycle and the check was very thorough (they radioed in my passport details wanted double confirmation of my address etc. All were claimed to be routine check-ups never got any more than that.:blink:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the love of God and all that is holy, do not ever go to America. Cops will stop you for looking at them the wrong way while walking past their cruiser. Literally. (It actually happened to me)

 

Were you beaten with a baton? Did they taze you? Were you punched in the face? Were you thrown to the hood of their car while the contents of your pockets were emptied out? Did they take you to their station and hold you in jail overnight until your identity was confirmed? Did the pepper spray you for saying something they didn't like? Did they shoot your dog? WERE YOU SHOT?

 

That kind of shit happens in America on the regular. If you don't believe me, I'm sure Rodney King, Freddie Grey, Philado Castille, Tamir Rice, and Michael Brown can adjust your perspective on what "fair" is in regards to the police. I'll give you a hint: FAIR is leaving with all your body parts as far as American cops are concerned.

 

And let me clue you in on something else: Over there, scratching your ass is cause for them to "fear for their life." Look up Officer Sean Groubert. He pulled over a guy, ordered him to produce some identification, and then proceeded to shoot him 4 times when he reached for it. His reason: He reached too fast and caused him to panic.

 

Grow up. They were looking for someone, you fit the description, it was their job to check it out. They saw they had the wrong guy, and they let you go. If someone mugged me at gunpoint and shot me in the kneecap, and I gave the police a description of someone in a green jacket and blue t-shirt...what do you think I'd say if I found out they cruised past a guy wearing a green jacket and blue t-shirt but didn't stop him because they were concerned about being accused of profiling?

 

You were treated more than fairly and professionally. Stop whining!

 

</antisocial>

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It happened to me twice in about 40 years - and I´m as German looking as they come. Last time was when leaving a train station. When I asked them why they were checking me one of them said because my beard and my bag made me look like a drug dealer. It was obvious though that he was joking.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@lisa13

If I'm walking along the road not aware of having broken the law, I expect to be told by the police precisely WHY they wish to check my identity. I accept that we have to be able to identify ourselves but in a democracy I expect the state to be answerable to me.

And who says the US is a democracy? The police act like thugs.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jeba said:

It happened to me twice in about 40 years - and I´m as German looking as they come. Last time was when leaving a train station. When I asked them why they were checking me one of them said because my beard and my bag made me look like a drug dealer. It was obvious though that he was joking.

 

 

Just now, jeba said:

 

 

 

Jeba- were you wearing  lederhosen  or yelling Moin, Moin?  Just wondering how you were so "German Looking"!;)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all due respect for the Polizei and you @razorsandroses, The reason I am 'whining' is because this is Germany I maybe wrong but from what I know the cops here don't want to scare citizens with guns and sticks, I understand they must do their job and as law abiding persons , it is our duty to work with them. 

I am not against them asking for my ID but just the whole situation left me wondering with some open questions:

 

Why, if I matched the description and they stopped me, did they just note down my info and not run it up their database right there? OR if they figured out right away that I wasn't the one they were looking for did they continue to take down all of my details? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, onemark said:

I expect to be told by the police precisely WHY they wish to check my identity.

 

yes and what more WHY do you want than "you match the description of someone we are looking for"?

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MonsieurLaBear said:

Why, if I matched the description and they stopped me, did they just note down my info and not run it up their database right there? OR if they figured out right away that I wasn't the one they were looking for did they continue to take down all of my details? 

 

You didn't know? They're in collusion with the KGB. They turned your information over to them. Start looking over your shoulders.

 

</sarcasm>

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now