How long did you wait for your Einbürgerungsurkunde?

28 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, dom said:

Phone him up repeatedly until he coughs up! Threaten to go to the local paper or to file a complaint if necessary!

I wouldn't do this. I don't think a German Beamter is going to let you intimidate them.

If you have a right to naturalisation, the beamter will know this. If he has your certificate on his shelf, he will know that he should not delay in giving you this. The 'ceremony' can be done 1 to 1 if necessary.

You have a reason for having your certificate asap.

22 hours ago, dom said:

I believe you, not them!

I have been in DE for almost 20 years and only became german in 2018 (thanks to brexit).

The beamter tried to "frighten me" into thinking obtaining the citizenship is difficult. After convincing him that he could not mess me about, he became friendlier and accelerated my application. I would bet that your certificate is sitting on his shelf. Phone him up repeatedly until he coughs up! Threaten to go to the local paper or to file a complaint if necessary!

I had a similar experience. I applied for citizenship based on my efforts towards positive integration into Germany (citizenship after 6 years instead of the usual 8). When I arrived to my appointment, I literally had a folder with everything the Sachbearbeiter would need for my application. They wouldn't even let me open it before they started sarcastically sneering at me that I needed several years of community service (which I had). When I pulled out a certificate proving this, their eyes bugged out of their head for a few seconds and they seemed surprised. They then apologized for talking to me in that way, I assume they're just used to having people come in who aren't prepared or who demand things they can't give them. To be honest, if any of us was working that job, we'd quickly end up quite jaded too.

I'll give it another few days before contacting them. I'll wait until it's officially been a month. Thanks for your positivity!

36 minutes ago, lotsofballoons said:

When I pulled out a certificate proving this, their eyes bugged out of their head for a few seconds and they seemed surprised.

Exactly! The "trick" is simply to let them know that you know what you're doing/talking about, so they cannot play God. Then they become normal people and talk with you on the same level.

Good luck! -and keep us posted!

Under process with Darmstadt and in my life I have never experienced such aggressiveness and lack of help. Sent all documents to them including Tax/Pensions certificates, birth certificates of our children both born here, Goethe B1 certificate and tried 20+ times calling the number on the letter sent. 

As I am not married and been here registered for 5 yrs, then tough.... won't play and have taken  €255 of me for nothing. 

Grrrrrr....

On 8.3.2019, 19:56:50, cybil said:

The situation of being stateless reminds me of good film called 'The Man Without a Country' (1973) about an early 1800s American officer who is banned from America and sentenced to live out his life on a warship. May you soon hear good news about your application for Einbürgerung in Germany. 

Since someone liked this post, I have to say, the link gives all of the film but, oh no, to my own surprise, cut off the last few minutes, which was, of course very disappointing. It's based on a short story by the same name, by Edward Hale. 

On 14/03/2019, 11:35:33, weejer said:

Under process with Darmstadt and in my life I have never experienced such aggressiveness and lack of help.

As I am not married and been here registered for 5 yrs, then tough...

What type of assistance did you expect from them? You haven't been here long enough to qualify for citizenship. Were you expecting them to waive the requirements for you?

have taken  €255 of me for nothing. 

Not for nothing. You filed an application and the EBH has to process it. This takes time and costs money. It is not their fault that you don't satisfy the requirements at the moment. Furthermore, if your application is rejected, you can receive a small part back.