How long did you wait for your Einbürgerungsurkunde?

27 posts in this topic

I have no clue where to post this in this forum, so this topic is probably in the wrong place, but it's worth a shot anyways.

Currently, I am stateless. I have no valid ID or passport. I turned in all my documents to the German Einbürgerungsbehörde 2 weeks ago and was told to wait for a letter in the mail stating when I could attend the citizenship ceremony and receive my Einbürgerungsurkunde. It's now been over 2 weeks since I turned everything in and I still haven't heard anything. How long did you wait between turning in all your documents and attending your ceremony?

Are you British? If not, it’s going to take a lot longer right now as they are prioritizing brits before brexit. It also depends where in Germany you are, as it takes much longer in some places than others. In Berlin it took me four months as a Brit, which I believe is relatively fast.

@lotsofballoons 

Frankfurt am Main: 15 June Document handover

20 Aug. Request for fee payment

14 Nov. Citizenship confirmed

5 Dec. Official Einbuergerung.

so it should be about a week or two I would have thought, although the process you went through is a bit different to the one I had here. Fingers crossed!

1. Jul 23rd      Initial interview

2. Jul 26th      Document handover, missing einbürgerungstest.

3. Dec 9th       Handed in the einbürgerungstest certificate. Application was now "Complete".

4. Dec 11th     Application approved and a letter notifying me of that was put in the post.

5. Dec 17th     Collected Einbürgerungsurkunde

I think your situation is quite different, lotsofballoons, since you are/were American and had to renounce your citizenship before acquiring german citizenship. So the timelines above from Brits won't help you much. Hopefully someone who's been in your exact situation can chime in.

The situation of being stateless reminds me of good film called 'The Man Without a Country' (1973) about an early 1800s American officer who is banned from America and sentenced to live out his life on a warship. May you soon hear good news about your application for Einbürgerung in Germany. 

Ahem, you did not make copies of your ID/documents etc??

Until your new citizenship is granted, your current citizenship stands.

43 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

No, it does not!

The OP was American and she received an Einbürgerungszusicherung in order to renounce her American citizenship. If her American renunciation application has already been processed, the OP is actually (temporarily) stateless. 

8 hours ago, lotsofballoons said:

It's now been over 2 weeks since I turned everything in and I still haven't heard anything. How long did you wait between turning in all your documents and attending your ceremony?

Only your local EBH can give you an accurate timeframe. Call them and ask.

If you need ID, you can apply for a Reiseausweis for Staatenlose from your ABH. 

Mine was ready after about four weeks, but that was back in 2005 when very few Brits were 

applying for dual citizenship. I have no idea why it went so quickly, I thought it was the normal 

wait at the time. Perhaps I was just lucky that the people at the Landratsamt didn't have much 

to do back then. 

On 8.3.2019, 13:31:57, pappnase said:
  1. Jul 23rd      Initial interview

2. Jul 26th      Document handover, missing einbürgerungstest.

3. Dec 9th       Handed in the einbürgerungstest certificate. Application was now "Complete".

4. Dec 11th     Application approved and a letter notifying me of that was put in the post.

5. Dec 17th     Collected Einbürgerungsurkunde

Wow, you sure got it fast!

On 8.3.2019, 20:11:34, RedMidge said:

Ahem, you did not make copies of your ID/documents etc??

No, I am literally stateless, I have a Certificate of Loss of Nationality from the US government. My US passport also ran out about 3 weeks ago. The consulate put holes in it to render it useless.

On 8.3.2019, 20:15:46, robinson100 said:

@lotsofballoons - have you thought of calling them to ask how things are progressing?

The single worker at my Einbürgerungsbehörde, who is literally too busy to answer the phone or e-mails, told me to wait on a letter to arrive in the mail with my appointment for the citizenship ceremony. He wouldn't offer me any more information while I was there. Perhaps I will be getting the letter from the Landratsamt?

On 8.3.2019, 21:04:12, engelchen said:

No, it does not!

The OP was American and she received an Einbürgerungszusicherung in order to renounce her American citizenship. If her American renunciation application has already been processed, the OP is actually (temporarily) stateless. 

Only your local EBH can give you an accurate timeframe. Call them and ask.

If you need ID, you can apply for a Reiseausweis for Staatenlose from your ABH. 

My ABH confirmed they can offer me just the regular Ausweis für Staatenlose, but not a Reiseausweis. They said a Reiseausweis is for serious cases only and they don't give it out to just anyone, even after I explained my situation. I have already accepted I probably won't be able to go on vacation with my family outside of the EU in May, even though I had the tickets booked while I thought the citizenship thing was going according to plan (the Certificate of Loss of Nationality was very late). Just the Ausweis für Staatenlose itself would cost 160€ and take almost a month to arrive, which surprised me. But thank you for the recommendation.

In my case nearly 4 weeks as my Elterngeldbescheid took longer than expected. Normally if no extra documents are needed it should be about 2-3 weeks, so i was told. In the end my very nice case worker called me to inform that the letter arrived and i went to pick it up the next day, saving several days of post (it was in Munich during Christmas). 

1 hour ago, lotsofballoons said:

My ABH confirmed they can offer me just the regular Ausweis für Staatenlose, but not a Reiseausweis. They said a Reiseausweis is for serious cases only and they don't give it out to just anyone, even after I explained my situation.

Bullshit! Once you get your certificate, and apply for the Ausweis, you'll have the option of getting a reisepass.

Why the f*ck do they have a right to prevent you from travelling outside the EU??

14 hours ago, dom said:

Bullshit! Once you get your certificate, and apply for the Ausweis, you'll have the option of getting a reisepass.

Why the f*ck do they have a right to prevent you from travelling outside the EU??

I think the OP was talking about which Ausweis is available to them during the time that they are waiting - i.e. whilst they are stateless. Not which Ausweis is available after they get the certificate.

15 hours ago, dom said:

No, I'm not telling bullshit. I had to submit an application for an Ausweis für Staatenlose and the manager of my ABH had to decide on it themself whether or not they'd give it to me. It took them about a week to make a decision. I was then informed the Ausweis costs 160€ and they'd need to issue me a new Niederlassungserlaubnis, which would take about a month in total.

When I asked about my vacation outside of the EU in May, I wasn't even offered an application for a Reiseausweis für Staatenlose to fill out. My Sachbearbeiterin and the Sachbearbeiterin sitting across from her both told me there's about 0 chance of me getting the Reiseausweis. It's usually given only on an emergency basis, such as for refugees, I was told. They said me not being able to go on a vacation isn't an emergency.

15 hours ago, anh said:

In my case nearly 4 weeks as my Elterngeldbescheid took longer than expected. Normally if no extra documents are needed it should be about 2-3 weeks, so i was told. In the end my very nice case worker called me to inform that the letter arrived and i went to pick it up the next day, saving several days of post (it was in Munich during Christmas). 

Most people here seem to say it took them 4 weeks to get the appointment for their citizenship ceremony. My 4-week Schmerzgrenze is coming up very soon but I will stay positive.

1 hour ago, lotsofballoons said:

No, I'm not telling bullshit.

I believe you, not them!

I have been in DE for almost 20 years and only became german in 2018 (thanks to brexit).

The beamter tried to "frighten me" into thinking obtaining the citizenship is difficult. After convincing him that he could not mess me about, he became friendlier and accelerated my application. I would bet that your certificate is sitting on his shelf. Phone him up repeatedly until he coughs up! Threaten to go to the local paper or to file a complaint if necessary!