Apartment problems/Landlord

87 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

I keep getting ex‘s Mahnungs. Like I said he just left and doesn‘t want to take care of his debts.

 

This might be something your/his divorce lawyer can address.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

 

This might be something your/his divorce lawyer can address.

 

Yes, I have somewhat talked about it with my lawyer-in. The thing is that I am not allowed to open his mail. Ex said that I can open his mail, but I‘d rather not take that chance. I just know that the letters I get say Mahnung on the outside. I have tried my best to send emails to the return address after searching on the Internet. It‘s exhausting. 

 

The latest is a bill for what I believe to be the winter tire storage. I called up BMW and addressed this, but they said that it may come down to the fact that I have to pay. 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klingklang77 said:

I don’t want his name taken off because then I will have no place to live until I am secure in finding something.

Can't you move in with your BF until you find a new place?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did your lawyerin tell you to send his mail to him in a way that you can prove you did? As it is, he can just say he never got the bills. She should be giving you more advice on this or at least she should talk to his lawyer.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, catjones said:

Can't you move in with your BF until you find a new place?

 

I could, but there is no room really. It is also two hours away from my job in Munich. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Did your lawyerin tell you to send his mail to him in a way that you can prove you did? As it is, he can just say he never got the bills. She should be giving you more advice on this or at least talk to his lawyer.

 

 

I just shot her off an email asking about this. I don‘t want to ask his lawyerin because I don‘t want too much in writing with his lawyerin. He has already tried to sue me for defamation for something I posted on FB. He lost and then I got a bill for his court costs (addressed to him), which I did not open. My lawyerin said the best thing is to collect all the letters and mail them to him in Australia and then request a bill for postage. That‘s all I can do. 

 

I have sent him screenshots of the envelopes. 

 

It‘s just a pain. 

 

I‘m venting. I‘m sorry. But I would like to thank all of you all for your responses. They have been helpful and I have learned a lot. I‘m going out for a nice beer with friends tonight. I‘m going to relax and enjoy. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, klingklang77 said:

I don‘t want to ask his lawyerin

 

Oh no but your lawyerin could and maybe come to some kind of agreement. That is what they are for.

 

I'm very sorry for your situation.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then General advice:  Don't let the "small" things go uncorrected.  Whether you are the landlord or tenant, fix the small things when they're small otherwise you'll have a long list of small things that are now a Big thing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

 What is your point here deadsoul? I don’t get how you are connecting the two quotes you have above. 

Those statements were contradictory, as are these:

 

4 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

I refuse to take his name off the contract because I do not want to be responsible for things legally. 

 

3 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

I don’t want his name taken off because then I will have no place to live until I am secure in finding something.

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, deadsoul said:

 

Those statements were contradictory, as are these:

 

 

 

 

 

They are not. Please read over what you are saying.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

I refuse to take his name off the contract because I do not want to be responsible for things legally. 

I don't understand what you mean. What legal responsibility are you referring to.

 

18 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

I don’t want his name taken off because then I will have no place to live until I am secure in finding something. My landlord refuses to give me a new contract. Since all three parties (landlord, me, ex) need to give permission that the lease is changing, then I wouldn’t have anywhere to live until I get a new apartment. 

Why do you think that you will be asked to vacate the apartment if you ask for a contract with just your name on it? I am not sure she is allowed to do that or that she needs your ex's permission when he no longer lives there or pays rent.

 

Let us know what the MV says.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, generalmartok said:

I don't understand what you mean. What legal responsibility are you referring to.

 

Why do you think that you will be asked to vacate the apartment if you ask for a contract with just your name on it? I am not sure she is allowed to do that or that she needs your ex's permission when he no longer lives there or pays rent.

 

Let us know what the MV says.

 

My landlady said she will not do a contract in my name because I do not make 6000 netto per month. 

 

Going to Mieterverein next week. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klingklang77 said:

My landlady said she will not do a contract in my name because I do not make 6000 netto per month. 

You can´t force her to give you a contract in your name only since it would mean that she releases your ex from liability. As it is she has a claim towards him if you don´t pay or damage her property. Why would she waive that claim?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dunno.  I'd just leave him on the contract if she wants to be a loon about it.

 

one fun aspect of that is that if she wants to raise the rent or try to cancel the contract or similar, she has to deliver the notice to *all* people named on the lease or it will be deemed unwirksam.  Did you notify her when he moved out and does she have his current mailing address?

 

if the answer is yes and no respectively, it might really suck to be her down the road if she is not willing to take him off the lease ;)

 

Note this is not legal advice - I am not a lawyer and I learned about this angle via a coworker/his legal insurance.  Your MV may give you different advice.

 

and do ignore her nonsense about wanting a tenant that makes 6k netto.  That's all kinds of silly and honestly you are not at risk over her "dream" of having a rich tenant as you have every right to stay where you are.  Is your apartment soooo special that someone who makes that much money (or anyone, really) would be clamoring to live there?  with broken doors, heat, etc?  Not likely. 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jeba said:

As it is she has a claim towards him if you don´t pay or damage her property.

 

Ah, but he is in Australian and ignoring all of his other bills. Do you think she could get money out of him?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

 

Ah, but he is in Australian and ignoring all of his other bills. Do you think she could get money out of him?

Who knows? There are debt collecting agencies after all. He might return at one point. A claim which may be difficult to enforce is still better than no claim at all. Why should she waive it (unless she gets some form of compensation)?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strike anyone as odd that all the Mahnungs for this married couple arrive in the name of the absent partner, while the remaining partner has a stated wish that she does "not want to be responsible for things legally"? That the landlady is peculiarly unreasonable about updating the contract to meet the present circumstances? Could it be that these bills are for the normal things related to running a joint household, given the opening shot's first complaint is about Nebenkosten? 

 

"so I won’t be responsible for paying for any thing they might come up with"
"and not be hit with bills when I move out"

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, deadsoul said:

Strike anyone as odd that all the Mahnungs for this married couple arrive in the name of the absent partner, while the remaining partner has a stated wish that she does "not want to be responsible for things legally"? That the landlady is peculiarly unreasonable about updating the contract to meet the present circumstances? Could it be that these bills are for the normal things related to running a joint household, given the opening shot's first complaint is about Nebenkosten? 

 

"so I won’t be responsible for paying for any thing they might come up with"
"and not be hit with bills when I move out"

 

 

 

Wow. I can‘t believe what you post. It‘s not odd and I hope you never have to go through a divorce, so please shut your trap. When someone leaves you and leaves you in a foreign country with the fact that he stole paperwork and refuses to answer you, then maybe you will understand. Why I should be paying for his bills when the ex left? I could go further into the reasons why he left, but that is none of your business. 

 

The bills were all in his name. He did not pay them; he skipped town. He did the paperwork in our relationship, which he stole. The landlady doesn‘t want to renew my contract because he was a lawyer and made a lot of money. 

 

I‘m doing the best I can, thank you very much.  Yes, we are still married, but if you understand how German law works in divorce, then you can come back at me troll.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now