Gyms with private shower options?

21 posts in this topic

I'm truly not comfortable being naked in front of strangers... and that's not changing any time soon. Please reserve your judgment / ancillary comments related to that. 

Is there a gym here in Munich that has at least 1 sectioned-off shower area, so I don't stress over the shower situation? I'm female, by the way. 

Back when I used to go to a gym, I came home and showered just because I prefer my own shower with all of my own accouterments. I know that isn't always convenient for many.

7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Back when I used to go to a gym, I came home and showered just because I prefer my own shower with all of my own accouterments. I know that isn't always convenient for many.

That would not work for me. I usually go to the gym on the way to work.  

2 minutes ago, SerratedEdge said:

Thanks! I'll check it out. I'm guessing there's more that don't list it explicitly online too. 

Yep probably.  Or at least some with a couple of semi enclosed areas.  But we are in Germany!

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

So, it was you sitting next to me with your sweaty body odor in the U-Bahn 👻.

19 hours ago, fraufruit said:

BTW, I'm a lady and I don't stink.

I'm a lady also, and it would be disgusting to put a coat over my sweaty workout clothes... and it's unhealthy to be sweaty/ wet walking outside when it's generally cold out. I cringe at the thought! 

Normally I swim, and there's either a separate stall or I rinse off with the suit on (as we all do back home). So I'm clean & dry when I leave. Maybe I'll just wear swim suits underneath my workout clothes here... 

8 minutes ago, SerratedEdge said:

... and it's unhealthy to be sweaty/ wet walking outside 

I hear a lot of people, mostly Germans, say this, but I never seem to be able to find any scientific evidence. Do you have any?

6 minutes ago, SerratedEdge said:

I'm a lady also, and it would be disgusting to put a coat over my sweaty workout clothes... and it's unhealthy to be sweaty/ wet walking outside when it's generally cold out. I cringe at the thought! 

I run home.   I get sweaty jogging when it is cold out.  It is not a problem as long as you do not actually get chilled.  Hat and gloves help.

Not washing sweaty parts under a swim costume after a work out sound a bit iffy.

10 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

I hear a lot of people, mostly Germans, say this, but I never seem to be able to find any scientific evidence. Do you have any?

Definitely a German thing. I get shouted out for trying to open a window at my gym. They think they are gonna die. The air is so stale and stinky in my gym I'm more afraid of catching an STD just from breathing in that place.

Draftophobia

28 minutes ago, theGman said:

Definitely a German thing. I get shouted out for trying to open a window at my gym. They think they are gonna die. The air is so stale and stinky in my gym I'm more afraid of catching an STD just from breathing in that place.

Draftophobia

I was a competitive bodybuilder at the national level in the USA in my late 20s to early 30s. The best temperature for working out is 18-20 degrees Celsius. The "hot" workout craze is to give people the false sense that they lost weight due to sweating. I went to the gym in workout clothes and left in workout clothes. ETA: I'm a woman, so I guess I should add that.

41 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

You're already exposed to bacteria/ viruses by being on the S-bahn/ U-bahn, as well as in work environments, shopping centers, and gyms. So the body is always fighting off "germs" on a regular basis in a typical city environment. 

Your body is also working to maintain a proper, running body temperature in a specific range. Heating and cooling both require effort, and it does not help your immune system to jolt your temp down quickly. 

If you go outside with any water on your body, heat leaves your body more quickly. You'll feel uncomfortably cold rather quickly with just a bit of wind because your body gets cold. Riding my bike back from the gym in Germany would be rather miserable (except in maybe 1 month of the year). I do get chilled. 

Also, sweat is water plus toxins etc, and it's much better to rinse that away as immediately as possible. At the gym, you have the opportunity to collect many people's sweat and germs transferred through the air and equipment. 

It's rather unclean to stay in sweat for long in general... and getting that on the inside of my coat would soil my coat rather quickly/re-expose me to a plethora of foreign bodies. Especially if I'm doing this regularly--3x per week. 

Now putting it all together:

Constant exposure to germs + quicker cooling stressing the immune system + extended exposure to your & foreign germs (+ other aggravating factors, such as low humidity outside, constricted nasal passages due to cold, and stress due to discomfort) = a lot for your body to overcome. For me, it just sounds like a situation to avoid if possible. 

@SerratedEdgeYeah, I've pretty much always driven to and from the gym. Serious weight lifting leaves nothing for biking and I avoid any sort of public transportation like the plague (apparently it is covered in plague virus anyway; so it's just as well). I never once experienced any sort of adverse effects from cooling down quickly. So, in the absence of an empirical study, that all may be boiled down to different immune systems. 

52 minutes ago, SerratedEdge said:

Normally I swim, and there's either a separate stall or I rinse off with the suit on (as we all do back home)

as we all do?  not all american women are never-nudes.   I myself have never seen someone showering with a swim suit on in a women's locker room in the US.  I'd never do that myself, either. the idea of not properly cleaning my undercarriage, especially after swimming, is pretty disturbing to my mind.

maybe a regional thing

@lisa13:  I'm surprised to hear you say that. My experience is the opposite - no one EVER takes all their clothes off in a public shower. I grew up next to a county pool (PA), which was like my backyard, so i've seen quite a few girls/women showering in my day...

When my kids were in High School (early-mid 2000s) there, I was surprised to hear that the students no longer showered after gym class. I was told it was a blanket privacy issue. When I told them that in Germany we even have little kids getting hosed off while naked in the summer (Kindergarten), they were shocked.

Re:  Draftophobia:, I still cannot get next to the German thing about changing swimsuits at the Freibad. The same mothers w/the hosed-down kids would make their kids change into a dry swimsuit in the middle of a swim day. When I asked my daughter the reason for this time-waster, she told me that it was so they didn't catch cold - wearing wet clothes outdoors. It was 30° in the shade!             I was amused.

31 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

maybe a regional thing

You can clean everything without showing anything (use your imagination). You can change in a locker room without showing anything. That was standard procedure when we didn't use individual stalls. There's almost always private showers in the US. 

I swam at least at 20 different university / public pools and probably 10 or more various gym pools in varying states... mostly East coast, Southeast & New England (due to competitions, internships, college, etc.). Bit of midwest too. I can count on two hands the number of times I've seen skin at all. I didn't see another a fully-nude female until I was about 30 years old, in Germany.