Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Stuttgart ! French/English speaking family..ISS ?

7 posts in this topic

Hallo from China :D

We are moving to Stuttgart next summer with our 2 teenagers 12&14 . We're a French speaking family (mother tongue ;)  with a good english level . The kids have always followed a French education in various Lycée français in Europe, US and Beijing

There is no lycée français in Stuttgart so we were thinking to enroll them to an international school, like the International School of Stuttgart.

:unsure:Do you know this school? Would you recommend ? 

:huh:We have beautiful (but very big !)  black labrador... would it be a very big problem to rent a house in the area of Degerloch ? 

We are very excited with the move and of course learning German (my husband is fluent) 

Thank you very much

3 hours ago, Soluna said:

:huh:We have beautiful (but very big !)  black labrador... would it be a very big problem to rent a house in the area of Degerloch ? 

I can't say anything about international schools, but about the rental situation in Stuttgart: It will be difficult to find a house at all, the restriction to Degerloch is not helpful here either. 

Immobilienscout (the largest platform in Germany) currently lists exactly two houses for rent in Degerloch:

https://www.immobilienscout24.de/Suche/S-T/Haus-Miete/Baden-Wuerttemberg/Stuttgart/Degerloch?enteredFrom=one_step_search (2,550€ and 2,800€ cold rent).

So expand the search radius to any case (btw there are only 12 (!) houses listed all over Stuttgart) and yes, with a big dog it becomes even more difficult. 

Thank you very much for your reply... wow it seems even worse than Paris really ! That's challenging

Can I ask why is the rental market so tight ? Are the majority of families owners of their house/appart ? Where do newcommers live ? I can imagine that people commute a lot 

I will have a look at the link and hope that we will get lucky somehow, thank you for your input , we're really in our early stage of this new adventure

13 minutes ago, Soluna said:

Thank you very much for your reply... wow it seems even worse than Paris really ! That's challenging

Can I ask why is the rental market so tight ?

More demand than supply. Moreover, Stuttgart is in a boiler, it can not expand indefinitely. 

Are the majority of families owners of their house/appart ?

No, only a little less than a third of Stuttgart's residents are owners. And that includes the owners of apartments - Stuttgart is a densely populated city, most people live in apartments, not houses.

Where do newcommers live ?

Where they can find something affordable. And in case of doubt this is an apartment, not a house. 

I can imagine that people commute a lot 

About 240,000 people commute to work in Stuttgart every day, about 90,000 commute out of Stuttgart. 

I will have a look at the link and hope that we will get lucky somehow, thank you for your input , we're really in our early stage of this new adventure

Good luck! :) 

Danke ! 

So much to discover .. We are planning a short trip to Sttugart & get a better feeling on the school & the housing market

Have a nice evening

Hello Soluna, Did you finalize the school in Stuttgart? Can you please provide some details. I'm searching a school for my 6 year old boy from Sept. 2019. Also, advice regarding the housing situation. 

Consider Ostfildern, it's a little bit easier (but not much). It is well connected by public transport, so no need to live in Degerloch directly.