Mutterschutzzeit is included in Elternzeit?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am a bit confused. In Germany, a pregnant woman is protected by Mutterschutzzeit 6 weeks before birth and 8 weeks after. 

Plus the parents can receive Elterngeld is for 14 months (if they share).

So this means after giving birth we have 16 months of paid holidays? (the first two months full salary due to Mutterschutzzeit and then 14 months Elterngeld). Or somehow this money that I receive during Mutterschutzzeit is included in the Elterngeld?

Thank you for explaining this to me. 

Bests,

Sarah

I guess this is your first kid and that's why you're calling it 'paid holiday' ;-)

Mutterschutz (14 weeks: 6 before / 8 after the birth): Assuming you are an employee (as opposed to a contractor), your employer pays you as they normally do. The post-birth 8 weeks count towards Elternzeit with Elterngeld.

Elternzeit with Elterngeld: Assuming the father takes at least 2 months of Elternzeit, the parents are eligible for up to 14 months of Elternzeit with Elterngeld payments (combined, so if the mother takes 7, the father can take up to 7). This is ~65% of your net salary, paid monthly, and capped at €1800.

Example:

• Child born on 01 May 2019
  • Mutterschutz pre-birth starts around March 15th 2019 (mother receives full net salary from employer)
  • Mutterschutz post-birth starts May 1st 2019 and ends 8 weeks later until just before July 1st (mother receives full net salary from employer)
  • Let's assume mother and father are both doing 7 months simultaneously, so Elternzeit with Elterngeld starts at the birth (May 1st 2019) and ends Dec. 1st 2019
  • From just before July 1st 2019, mother receives ~65% of her net salary OR €1800 / month - whichever is lower
  • From the birth May 1st 2019 father receives ~65% of his net salary OR €1800 / month - whichever is lower

Thanks a lot! All is clear now. 

And yes you are right, it is my first kid. Paid leave maybe is a better term :P

Just a small correction. 

Even though during mutterschutz full net salary will be given, a part of it is paid by health insurance. 13 euros per day. The rest is paid by the employer. Therefore it is necessary to give the certificate provided by the doctor to the insurance company,so that their part is paid at the right time.

Congratulations and all the best.