Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Schadstoffklasse & Feinstaubplakette

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

anyone know about this, more so about driving in and around Frankfurt. I have limited knowledge on this currently.

I am in market to buy a car, questions:

1/. what are minimums for driving around Frankfurt Schadstoffklasse & Feinstaubplakette? what are these exactly and which has priority?

2/. what and when will new standards be introduced, (for future proofing)

3/. if i buy a car with euro 1 Schadstoffklasse & 4 (grun) Feinstaubplakette, is that ok to drive about and if not can you pay extra to do so?

4/. is it possible to upgrade vehicle from say euro 1 to euro 4 via upgrading exhaust (or something) or is this based on leaking emissions from engine area that cannot be helped?

5/. I hear that some older cars only get authorisation to drive at certain times of the year, why is this exactly?

I would very much like to buy an "oldtimer" as they call it in Germany, a classic car, perhaps 20+ years old.

Thanks

2 hours ago, action said:

1/. what are minimums for driving around Frankfurt Schadstoffklasse & Feinstaubplakette? what are these exactly and which has priority?

Minimum is a green Feinstaubplakette.

2/. what and when will new standards be introduced, (for future proofing)

No one knows. 

3/. if i buy a car with euro 1 Schadstoffklasse & 4 (grun) Feinstaubplakette, is that ok to drive about and if not can you pay extra to do so?

Minimum is a green Feinstaubplakette – if you have one, you are allowed to drive (at least at the moment). You can not pay extra to get around a green Plakette. 

4/. is it possible to upgrade vehicle from say euro 1 to euro 4

No.

5/. I hear that some older cars only get authorisation to drive at certain times of the year, why is this exactly?

Diesel driving bans have been avoided so far, but nobody knows what the future holds.

I would very much like to buy an "oldtimer" as they call it in Germany, a classic car, perhaps 20+ years old.

Oldtimers are 30+, not 20+. 

They must be largely in their original condition and require an appropriate expert opinion. In addition, they may only be used for events and test drives. But this can hardly be controlled, in case of doubt every ride is a test drive. But if the classic car is the only vehicle, most insurances do not insure it in the cheap classic car tariff, because they assume daily use. 

Hi,

thanks for your info, most informative!

However, I am still a bit puzzled!

I have seen many cars that are clearly not euro 4 drive around Frankfurt, old European sports cars or American muscle cars.

How do they get away with it? do they have a special pass?

Are they breaking the law by driving around Frankfurt city?

Or do they have to pay a fine if stopped by Polizei?

What happens if they park on the street and go shopping and the car is spotted by a parking attendant? Will they get a ticket or will car be towed away?

Thanks

Most muscle cars are Petrol... 

How would you know a car isnt euro4?  Just 2 days ago you knew nowt about the various categories ...

15 minutes ago, action said:

As for a number of cars, I have checked and they are Euro 1.

And? As Spidey said, most muscle cars are Petrol... The same applies to almost all "old European" sports cars, which ones run on diesel?

Petrol engines with controlled catalytic converter and cold run regulator can also get a green sticker with Euro 1. 

22 minutes ago, action said:

I have seen many cars that are clearly not euro 4 drive around Frankfurt, old European sports cars or American muscle cars.

I doubt your ability to see that, sorry.

How do they get away with it? do they have a special pass?

Sometimes (rarely) there are special rules e.g. for traders, but they can cost up to 1,000€.

Are they breaking the law by driving around Frankfurt city?

I doubt it.

Or do they have to pay a fine if stopped by Polizei?

IF they don't have a grüne Plakette: yes, of course. A ticket (80€) and one point in Flensburg.

What happens if they park on the street and go shopping and the car is spotted by a parking attendant? Will they get a ticket or will car be towed away?

They will get a ticket and their point. And once they start to collect tickets, it get's more expensive every time and rather sooner than later they receive an invitation to MPU. Because they're obviously deliberately breaking the law. 

32 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

And? As Spidey said, most muscle cars are Petrol... The same applies to almost all "old European" sports cars, which ones run on diesel?

I only really mean old petrol cars with Schadstoffklasse Euro 1-3.

Petrol engines with controlled catalytic converter and cold run regulator can also get a green sticker with Euro 1. 

I doubt your ability to see that, sorry.

If you go to autoscout24. there are 100s of 1000s of cars with Euro 1-3. it does not take much to make a note of "sports car xyz" and check Autoscout24.

17 hours ago, action said:

I only really mean old petrol cars with Schadstoffklasse Euro 1-3.

And? What's your point? You can get the green sticker for those cars – as long as they are petrol. You'll pay more tax and can't "upgrade" but still get the green sticker. You don't get a green sticker for Diesel cars Euro 1-3 and soon 4, however.