Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Good/Bad Areas in Wiesbaden

10 posts in this topic

Hello Toytown!

My wife, 2 year old son and I will be moving to Germany in June.

I will be working in Hofheim, and from what I have researched Wiesbaden seems like a nice place to live within reasonable reach of the office.

I have searched this forum a lot, and found recommendations in Wiesbaden for following areas:

- Sonnenberg / Nordost (Nerotal)

- Rheingauviertel / Mitte

- Bierstadt

The above, while nice, seem to be pushing what I think we can afford. I'm looking at <EUR 1500 for a 3-bedroom apartment hopefully.

Some posters have mentioned Biebrich. Both as "good" and "bad". Conclusion seems to be, there are good and bad parts of Biebrich. From what I can see on immoscout, Biebrich is a little more affordable than the above areas.

Can anyone help me to understand which parts of Biebrich are the ones to avoid? Is there a certain street beyond which things take a turn for the worse? Or any resource (German or English) that can give me an idea?

Thank you!

Best thing to do with any search is to go their and have a look.   But, giving your location I assume that this is not possible and you are looking from abroad!

I don't know enough to give you precise advice, but I think that there are some areas around the "Schloss Biebrich" which are nicer.

if you look on Google maps, there is an area to the west of the Schloss which looks like a nice area when I have been there.  There might also be a few apartments which are close to the Schloss park on the east which are nice, and maybe some along/close to the river.   But there is also an area which is higher density which does not look so nice, which is a bit further away. 

Your budget seems generous, I think I read that 900 EUR for 85m2 is average for Wiesbaden, so you should get a nice place for that.  But you need to consider how close you want to be to the city vs your place of work for you and your family.

Welcome to Toytown (TT)  @kuroneko :)

I used to live on Biebricherallee in one of 6 house numbers which are in Biebrich although some native Biebrichers would argue about that even though I knew it was according to the city, the Post, the Polizei and all other official sources.

There are a lot of districts in Wiesbaden, and many other German cities, which are indeed like the (UK colloquial) curates egg, i.e. good in parts.

Biebrich has several good parts and its bad parts are either so small that they're hard to describe to strangers or they're so obvious because of proximity to Kalle-Albert Industrie Park or Appelallee Industriegebiet.

The two main north-south roads through Biebrich, Strasse der Republic and Rathausstrasse, can be a nuisance for much of the day because of the folks who seem to go shopping there on any day but Sunday, the continuing slow stream of traffic and the limited parking but like most other parts of Biebrich, or Wiesbden, they're not bad because of very antisocial people or dereliction.

Occasionally young folks have been known to get drunk and then get noisy outside after closing time and some of their sober buddies like to gun their motors when passing through those two streets, but if you weren't living above the action you might never know about that because most of Biebrich seems a bit like Sleepytown to me.

One question you might want to be asking yourself is, 'How long do you think it'll be before I get fed up of the rush hour wait in line to pass the one traffic light between Biebrich and the A66 (Autobahn) to join the daily s l o w 15Km trek before deciding we need to move to either WI-Erbenheim, -Nordenstadt, -Delkenheim, Massenheim, Wicker, Weilbach or Diedenbergen?' <-- All of which are easier to get to Hofheim from without even getting into the traffic on the A66.

Moving within Germany, even a short distance, is a very expensive business so if you can avoid the risk of having to it's worth doing some serious planning about things like your working time start and finish flexibility v everyone elses.

Also, if there are only you, your wife and your 2 year old son I don't know why you would even need a 3 bedroom flat but, in case you do, you may not be aware that Germans don't count bedrooms in ads at all.

Number of rooms (Zimmer) + kitchen (K = an empty room unless it says EBK) + B = bathroom e.g. 2.5ZKB may be 1 lounge/diner, 1 master bedroom, 1 kids bedroom, kitchen, bathroom with shower (?!)  or 3ZKB may be 1 living room, two bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom and either may include a hallway, small storage room, a cellar space, or not.

Good luck with your move and try not to sign a contract for anything if you haven't fully understood it before consulting a German speaker with some knowledge of the law first.

TT doesn't need any more newbie error examples to join the thousands in the archives already. If in doubt ask here first!

HTH

2B

Thank you for the replies! The forum seemed a little bit dead so I wasn't holding out much hope, but this is some great info!

The information about the traffic is very useful, I hadn't considered that it might take a long time to get to Hofheim even though the distance is quite close.

I will add Erbenheim and Nordenstadt to my search (although Erbenheim seems to have not even really any shops, Nordenstadt looks ok).

Reason I am looking for 3 bedrooms - 1 for me & the wife; 1 for the boy; and 1 guest bedroom as we will be having family from the UK/Japan (grandparents) over to visit several times a year.

I do speak German so hopefully I should be ok with rental contracts.

Speaking of traffic, be aware that:

• A66 is a very busy commuter road.  If there is an accident it can be a nightmare!
  • It is very busy in both directions, but the A66/A3 crossing is always bad if you need to change from one road to the other.
  • Between junctions 4 - 5 on the A66 there is currently major roadworks which are causing delays of 10 - 25mins every morning & evening at the moment.  This leads to people taking alternative routes, which means that these roads are also overloaded and slow.
  • Kasteler Str. in Biebrich is also closed until I think at least May 2019 (so might not be an issue for you)
  • Areas such as Nordost mean that you have to go through the city to get to the A66/Hofheim.  This will add time to your journey even if it is not far in terms of distance.  Traffic moves slowly through the centre during peak times (of course!).

I suggest using Google maps to estimate the travel time from potential apartments to your office.  You can specify a time & date (e.g. Monday morning 08:30) and then it will give you an estimate.  e.g. 15 - 25 mins.  So that gives you an idea for traffic, normally the lower value = little traffic and the upper lots.  Don't take the figure exactly, but use it as an estimation, maybe even with extra on top!

You're right, shopping opportunities are somewhat limited within Erbenheim (albeit those are enough to match most of the traditional [farming] residents tastes) but, like all the places I mentioned, it's a 5 minute drive to the southern Nordenstadt* Industriegebiet where there are Aldi, Lidl and a handful of other popular large stores for shoes, bedding, furniture, kitchens, etc. and just a couple of kilometers further east at Wallau there's a huge REAL supermarkt right next to the German IKEA HQ and store.

*At the northern end on the westbound road from the alt kern of Nordenstadt, if you book far enough in advance (or pick a night early in the week) there's one of the best places in Germany to sample traditional Hessische cuisine. It's an old coaching inn and has been owned by the same family for over 250 years so they've got quite a reputation to defend. They were customers of mine for a couple of years when I had a business in Erbenheim and were lovely people to deal with.

All the locations I mentioned have a core of altbau housing but have been extended to a varying degree over the last 30 - 40 years by individual design or small estate pattern modern neubau housing.

Many residents of Wiesbaden, Mainz and other cities from as far south as Kaiserslautern, west as Bingen or Rudesheim and north from Limburg and all the smaller towns and villages in between commute to Frankfurt, the city airport or metro area along the A66 or join it from the A3 between the Walllau and Diedenbergen exits at the Wiesbadener Kreuz.

Unfortunately this means that an accident on either the A3 or A66 can result in massive tailbacks in all directions before being cleared so it's wise to be prepared with knowledge of all the local alternative non-Autobahn routes. There may be months between such events but whenever the weather changes they do seem to occur in batches.

Oh, and if at all possible do try to visit the area on several evenings when there have been weather warnings of high winds expected.

This is because the landing approach routes to FRAport will change according to wind direction from E-W to W-E with additional changes in the SE-NW to NW-SE axes and in a very few locations this may result in acute sound peak levels being reached for a few moments several times an hour.

The airport closes from 23:00 to 05:30 (IIRC) and you might not even notice in the daytime coz of the regions ambient hum and buzz of ground activities, but I'm just thinking about a 2 yr old asleep in summer evenings when the windows may be open.

2B

Why not stay in Hofheim/Kriftel/Marxheim? I've there for 10 yrs now and very good area for children, Main Taunus Kreis seems sympathetic to the English speaking community here: https://www.mtk.org/en/index.htm

Lots of families here with dual Eng/De https://www.alphabet-ev.com/about and Gymnasium in Hofheim has dual language teaching. 

Airport 10 mins and Wiesbaden/Frankfurt 20 mins. Housing € is OK in Marxhiem/Hattersheim but getting more expensive in Kriftel/Hofheim, for 80q/m recon on €1000/mth here plus heating/water..

On 26.2.2019, 15:40:01, 2B_orNot2B said:

You're right, shopping opportunities are somewhat limited within Erbenheim (albeit those are enough to match most of the traditional [farming] residents tastes) but, like all the places I mentioned, it's a 5 minute drive to the southern Nordenstadt* Industriegebiet where there are Aldi, Lidl and a handful of other popular large stores for shoes, bedding, furniture, kitchens, etc. and just a couple of kilometers further east at Wallau there's a huge REAL supermarkt right next to the German IKEA HQ and store.

Nah... There is only Ikea in Wallau... 

In Nordenstadt is "Globus" which used to be REAL... 

And... come on... whats the name of that fantastic little restaurant??....  B)

5 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Nah... There is only Ikea in Wallau... 

In Nordenstadt is "Globus" which used to be REAL... 

And... come on... whats the name of that fantastic little restaurant??...  B)

You're right, my bad.

Having happily managed to avoid IKEA like the plague since about 2003 I was confusing the two Autobahn exits and I'd overlooked the sale of the former REAL hypermarket by the Metro Group, (who've had so many restructurings in the last 15 years it's hard to keep up).

That fantastic restaurant's not quite so little these days. Having misnamed one business I thought I'd better search through my old business files to be sure but it turns out my memory was correct except I see from Google that they've now added the family name (presumably to distinguish it from another famous and possibly litigious business of the same name in Frankfurt).

It's called 'Frankfurter Hof Sprenger' and is located on Oberpfortstrasse at the corner of Breckenheimerweg in WI-Nordenstadt.

Enjoy, and give my best to Frank - just mention the British guy in Erbenheim who used to sell, and for them also repair or replace their, ex-US military machines (even on weekends or after hours).

That was in the mid-1990s and at the time they were expanding to the rear (the red-roofed parts in the google sat view) and had their hands full between catering and building so keeping their waschkuche and bulk fridges and freezers constantly operational was critical.

2B

@weejer Thank you for the suggestion of actually living in Hofheim. Hofheim itself and Kriftel are quite nice by all accounts but I am having trouble finding much available on Immoscout. I think I do need to widen my net and search in more areas rather than being picky though!

The office is actually in Wallau, so I guess any of those areas will work.