Residence in Germany & work for a Netherlands company

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I did find another post on Toytown which was similar to my situation but was more related to finance. So, im hoping someone could answer my question.

I am a non-EU citizen currently living and working in Germany, i also hold a blue card. I have been working here for 2 years already now. I have an offer from a company in Netherlands, for which i can work remotely. So, i plan to stay at my current residence in Germany,  change job and work remotely. 

By the way, I was previously a student in Germany and after starting a full time job, i applied and got a blue card.

1. I was wondering if i can continue doing this with the current blue card that i hold? or will i need to apply for a new one in NL?

2. Now i can also apply for a Permanent Residence, since i am eligible for it. So, will holding a PR help me to do the above(stay here & work for a company in NL)? If not, i do not see the point in getting a PR i guess.

3. Will the time spent in Germany count, in case i move to Netherlands and i want to apply for a PR there?

4. Just for some affirmation, i guess in the above situation i will have to pay my taxes in Germany?

It depends on what is written on the Zusatzblatt (the green additional paper that one gets with an Aufenthaltstitel). Blue Cards, as far as I know, are usually tied to a particular company one is working for. That inhibits changing job as per wish and staying with the same Blue Card. Then there are cases, where one is needed to work for a minimum period of 2 years with the company the Blue Card is tied up with.

In any case, I would suggest you to inform the Ausländersbehörde when you change your job.

With a Niederlassungserlaubnis, the residential address should be within the jurisdiction of BRD, in order to retain it (in addition to payment towards health insurance, and pension fund). For example, many NE holders work in Basel (Switzerland) and live in Freiburg (Germany). So, in principle, I think it does not matter if you work on the other side of the border. I am not sure how it works with a Blue Card, however. In any case, your Ausländersbehörde can suggest you what is best for you. 

20 hours ago, vaschetan said:

Hi All,

I did find another post on Toytown which was similar to my situation but was more related to finance. So, im hoping someone could answer my question.

I am a non-EU citizen currently living and working in Germany, i also hold a blue card. I have been working here for 2 years already now. I have an offer from a company in Netherlands, for which i can work remotely. So, i plan to stay at my current residence in Germany,  change job and work remotely. 

By the way, I was previously a student in Germany and after starting a full time job, i applied and got a blue card.

1. I was wondering if i can continue doing this with the current blue card that i hold? or will i need to apply for a new one in NL?

2. Now i can also apply for a Permanent Residence, since i am eligible for it. So, will holding a PR help me to do the above(stay here & work for a company in NL)? If not, i do not see the point in getting a PR i guess.

3. Will the time spent in Germany count, in case i move to Netherlands and i want to apply for a PR there?

4. Just for some affirmation, i guess in the above situation i will have to pay my taxes in Germany?

1 AFAIK "yes" if they will pay taxes and otherwise behave as if they were a German company, "no" otherwise. You should directly ask the ABH though.

2 Yes, getting the PR is the easiest way.

3 People in Netherlands will be more knowledgeable about that.

4 Yes, you pay your (income) taxes where you live.

3 hours ago, honigbiene said:

It depends on what is written on the Zusatzblatt (the green additional paper that one gets with an Aufenthaltstitel). Blue Cards, as far as I know, are usually tied to a particular company one is working for. That inhibits changing job as per wish and staying with the same Blue Card. Then there are cases, where one is needed to work for a minimum period of 2 years with the company the Blue Card is tied up with.

In any case, I would suggest you to inform the Ausländersbehörde when you change your job.

With a Niederlassungserlaubnis, the residential address should be within the jurisdiction of BRD, in order to retain it (in addition to payment towards health insurance, and pension fund). For example, many NE holders work in Basel (Switzerland) and live in Freiburg (Germany). So, in principle, I think it does not matter if you work on the other side of the border. I am not sure how it works with a Blue Card, however. In any case, your Ausländersbehörde can suggest you what is best for you. 

Blue Card itself is never tied to a company. ABH in its discretion can restrict the employment in the Zusatzblatt to a profession X and/or company Y. But if you come there with the documents for the new job that satisfy the conditions they are required to allow that employment.

50 minutes ago, ilyann said:

Blue Card itself is never tied to a company. 

Yes it is.

"Blue Card" is not the name of that piece of plastic, "Blue Card" is the name of the residence permit ("Aufenthaltstitel"). And for the first two years it is always linked to a specific employment and a specific employer/company:

"Berechtigt die Blaue Karte EU zur uneingeschränkten Erwerbstätigkeit?

In den beiden ersten Jahren des Aufenthalts ist die Blaue Karte EU an eine konkrete Beschäftigung bei einem bestimmten Arbeitgeber gebunden. Danach kann jede hochqualifizierte Beschäftigung ausgeübt werden. Eine selbständige Beschäftigung hingegen ist ausgeschlossen." (bold from me)

http://www.bamf.de/DE/Infothek/FragenAntworten/BlaueKarteEU/blaue-karte-eu-node.html 

Hi @someonesdaughter, it sounds somewhat like a discussion of what the what "tied to" means. I apologize if I used it in a way that can be understood in a different way. What I mean specifically is that:

(1) The BK isn't automatically invalid after one leaves the company (though it will be canceled by the ABH, after some period of joblessness) and can thus legally coexist with a condition of not having a permission to work.

(2) I know quite a lot of people whose permit for working is not restricted to a specific company. I believe this is currently a standard practice in Berlin, citing Verfahrenshinweise der Ausländerbehörde Berlin:

A.19a. 

Die Blaue Karte EU ist in den Fällen, in denen sie zustimmungsfrei erteilt wird mit der Nebenbestimmung:

„Beschäftigung nicht gestattet mit Ausnahme der Tätigkeit als .... Selbstständige Tätigkeit gestattet.“ zu versehen.

B.BeschV.1. ... Bei zustimmungsfreien Beschäftigungen wird in den Fällen der §§ 17, 18 Abs. 2 S.1 sowie 19a Abs. 1 AufenthG das Etikett mit dem Eintrag

„Beschäftigung nicht gestattet mit Ausnahme der Tätigkeit als...“
versehen. Eine Beschränkung auf einen bestimmten Betrieb oder eine zeitliche Begrenzung erfolgt hier nicht.

On 2/25/2019, 7:18:59, someonesdaughter said:

Yes it is.

"Blue Card" is not the name of that piece of plastic, "Blue Card" is the name of the residence permit ("Aufenthaltstitel"). And for the first two years it is always linked to a specific employment and a specific employer/company:

"Berechtigt die Blaue Karte EU zur uneingeschränkten Erwerbstätigkeit?

In den beiden ersten Jahren des Aufenthalts ist die Blaue Karte EU an eine konkrete Beschäftigung bei einem bestimmten Arbeitgeber gebunden. Danach kann jede hochqualifizierte Beschäftigung ausgeübt werden. Eine selbständige Beschäftigung hingegen ist ausgeschlossen." (bold from me)

http://www.bamf.de/DE/Infothek/FragenAntworten/BlaueKarteEU/blaue-karte-eu-node.html 

I can also confirm that I (and many other people) had the remark "Selbstständige Tätigkeit gestattet", that is, the permit according to § 21 Absatz 6. VAB again considers this a standard practice:

Bezüglich der Ermöglichung einer selbstständigen Tätigkeit für Titelinhaber, die nicht § 21 Abs. 1 , 2a oder Abs. 5 unterfallen und bei denen die selbstständige Tätigkeit nicht ohnehin bereits durch das Aufenthaltsgesetz erlaubt ist (vgl. etwa §§ 27 Abs. 5, 25 Abs. 1 S. 4) wird die selbstständige Tätigkeit grundsätzlich ermöglicht. Gleiches gilt auch für Inhaber einer Blauen Karte EU (vgl. § 4 Abs. 1 S. 3), einer ICT-Karte oder einer Mobilen ICT-Karte.

I assume the BAMF website simply describes the most "pessimistic" case, as I know other Bundesländer are indeed more strict here.