Previous owner feels he can enter my home

103 posts in this topic

We have just bought a new property on the north sea coast. we are in a very small village. The house needs a lot of renovating which I am seeing to while my husband works away. We have 3 dogs that we take care to make sure they are secure in our garden.

If there are workmen in the house I lock my dogs in a room to prevent escape.

During the first week we had roofers in and the front door was left unlocked to allow them access as needed. 

The old owner had been asked to clear out his junk which he failed to do. Yet one day he decided that he needed something that he had left and entered our home uninvited and started routing through everything looking for his forgotton item. we had piled his junk into one room while we sorted bulk rubbish collection.

I tried to be polite but firm, allowed him to find his item and showed him the door, reminding him it was now our home and he must ask before entering.

yesterday I was upstairs 

painting and the dogs started going mental. I ran downstairs to see the old owner back in the house. he had climbed the gate and entered the back door which I had left open for the dogs to go into the garden.

At first I didn´t recognise him and started screaming and grabbed a ladle ( ???) to protect myself.

Meanwhile one of my dogs having not been told it was okay started to growl at the old owner. I told him to leave but he seemed to think he had a right to see the renovations.

I told him to leave again and my dog started baring his teeth, something he´s never done before.

The old owner says he will now report my vicious dogs.

I threw the ladle at him and told him to go forth and multiple out of my house.

He left but is claiming that the dogs attacked for no good reason. Please tell me that the law is on my side

I think you could file a police report with your side of it to get ahead of this

plus I think this dude needs an official talking to.  What he is doing is outrageous.  

eta: it's also important that he gets his stuff out of there asap to avoid any future excuse to show up at your place.  Maybe join the haus & grund verein to get some support in how to handle that?

Has he now cleared all his junk out? This needs to be sorted asap.

Maybe you should file a complaint of trespass against him, to document your problem.

oh yeah, did any of the dogs actually attack him?  It sounds like they were merely acting in an appropriately protective manner.

He entered your property uninvited. Your dogs are guard dogs. He should be glad he didn't get bitten.

Definitely file a report with the police and talk to Haus & Grund or a lawyer (both asap) to draft a letter giving him a deadline and an appointment to get his stuff otherwise you will throw it out.

Things might be different in a small village, but this is not ok.

Are you on good terms with your new neighbors? It might be good to casually tell them what is going on, just in case he is planning on spreading rumours.

Also, I would make sure to close the doors when you are not e.g. on the ground floor. Dogs usually have a pretty good sense of people. If your dog growled at him, he probably picked up something about the guy he didn't like very much and on your nervousness.

34 minutes ago, annieb8822 said:

and grabbed a ladle ( ???) to protect myself.

I realise the situation is no laughing matter, but you had me at 'ladle' :lol: Go girl! Self defense all the way :D

Seriously, the guy sounds like he has a screw loose, don't delay, get down the cop shop and make a report, then do Haus und Grund usw as suggested above. 

my dogs are a tiny shih Tzu pup, a beagle who loves his sleep and the "vicious one" is a dandy dinmont who has been abused and rescued by us and is very wary of men but is totally loyal to me. So as long as I tell him that all is okay he will settle. 

we seem to have a police man for several of the villages. we get on with one neighbour who is also an outsider (been here 5 years) the seller was happy to take our money but outsiders are not welcome. I have been told that there are a few of us. we have peeved the locals off because we bought a pub and promptly closed it because of a rat infestation. The seller and his family have lived here forever and technically speaking my intruder is not the previous owner. his father was. the son doesn´t want to take it on.

No he hasn´t cleared out his stuff despite being asked to do so. In fact he has a very limited use of the truth which we found to our cost.

I lived in a town before and always kept my back door open for the dogs to come and go as they please. For this reason we put up a new fence and gate. As they are not jumpers we saw no reason to put a high gate up.

I think in future I will carry my very powerful torch at all times and shine that in his eyes if he comes again.

I thought the welsh could be nosy but this takes the biscuit !

yes I admit the ladle was a bit lame but all I could grab at the time. The police are going to drive by but are not concerned. my neighbour says this was a big problem when he moved in. people would walk into his home and go through his stuff. there is no privacy

You were correct to go to the police, and the other ideas are also great.  Another thing to do would be to consider some separate storage while the renovation is taking place (there are lots of places now) and keeping valuables in a bank safe etc, or keeping part of the house separately strongly locked and everything in that.  Given them nothing to go at basically.  Prevention better than having to sort out more crime.  

You also need his stuff off your premises asap to eliminate his supposed reason to be there.   Go through the legal process on that.

Write him a letter giving him reasonable notice (2 weeks or so) to move his junk or you will take it to the dump.  Write that he needs to make an appointment with you and your husband before coming over.  Send it by registered mail.

Either he makes an appointment and takes his junk or you get rid of it for him. Either way it's no longer at your house. Also file charges for trespassing. Probably the friendly policeman will tell him to stay out of your house. Hopefully he will.

Ask the police to tell him to come get his stuff or you will send it to him at his own expense.

Put up a couple of no trespassing signs and beware of  Shih Tzu. :D

we´ve put a private property sign up. we intend to get a harsher one if people don´t stay off the front. they´ve been parking and blocking us in .our belongings are actually locked in a function room attached to the property. his stuff is slowly going to the dump. theres 6 double bedrooms and most are full of his crap. Good idea about beware of the dog. maybe I should add a photo ..that´ll keep them away. my neighbour reports that the attack is becoming the talk of the village. He was told to remove his belongings by 1st Feb or they would be trashed. A skip comes next month. meanwhile i´m going to polish my ladle

IMG-20171223-WA0007.jpg

yes new locks done. I just feel that I should be able to leave my back door open for the dogs to be able to roam their own garden at will, especially as i´m toilet training the pup. if that doors not open he´s happy to pee anywhere right now. we chose a property with a decent garden for the dogs. we´ve put up a secure fence and gate. pity we didn´t go for the full 180 cms

You need to file an official complaint about trespassing against the former owner with the police! The magic German phrase here is Anzeige wegen Hausfriedensbruch.

Do it ASAP before he reports you or your dogs.

24 minutes ago, annieb8822 said:

we´ve put up a secure fence and gate. pity we didn´t go for the full 180 cms

But you could add an electrical fence to that! Of course to keep *the dogs in*. :D:D

Wow, sounds like a weird situation.

Did anyone mention yet that she should file a report with the police?

Filing a report with the police is what townies and big city dwellers do in 2109. And I absolutely understand why. But in a small village where the originals think they own the place (because their pops actually did and many people have only just got gas lighting and a tap in the kitchen) this is gonna guarantee you are shunned by the locals for ever. And ever. Amen.

my husband is now going to block off the drive at the side of the property with a 180 fence and gate. we feel awkward because its a really tiny village and we seem to have got off to a bad start with half the people. the other half weren´t born here. you can spit from one end of the village to the other and we are in the centre. our place was their pub but we´ve gone and closed it down. I´m struggling with the german here which is very different from mid germany. we can´t get local workmen because they don´t do for outsiders and if they do they charge extra and my neighbour suspects the locals are all related in some way. To cap it all, I've not seen anyone else with dogs! I ask myself if they dislike outsiders so much, why sell to us and actually if they had returned the friendship offered then they could have popped in at anytime. invited of course. Only close friends can walk in uninvited