Getting a qualification from the UK recognised without getting a permit to work in the field

5 posts in this topic

I did a search of the forums and found many topics related to work, but none relating to my situation. 
I'm a qualified paramedic from the UK, living in Germany for about 18 months. I didn't bother to look at getting my qualification recognised here as I know that until my German is near perfect, I wouldn't feel comfortable working as a paramedic (communication is key). In fact, I'd resigned myself to the fact that I may never work as a paramedic here, as by the time I'm fluent enough, too much time may have passed since I last worked and it's a fast-moving field. 
However, I applied for work as a carer, and they told me I need to have my qualification recognised (why? I have no idea, it's a completely different job). But regardless, I looked into it, and I can only find information on how to have your qualification recognised by applying for a permit to work. One of the conditions for being issued a permit is, unsurprisingly, sufficient knowledge of the German language. Which I don't feel I have yet. 
My question is this; has anyone ever gotten a qualification recognised but without also getting a work permit? I'm hoping this is very simple to do and just isn't explained well on the website! Thank you in advance :)

It is possible to have foreign qualifications recognised even if you don't need a work permit.

Bezirksregierung Düsseldorf,

Landesprüfungsamt für Medizin,

Psychotherapie und Pharmazie

Tel.: 02 11/475-0

poststelle@brd.nrw.de

www.brd.nrw.de

http://www.brd.nrw.de/gesundheit_soziales/LPA-NAH-EU-Ausbildungen/index.jsp

Das Landesprüfungsamt ist für die Feststellung der beruflichen Gleichwertigkeit von ausländischen Qualifikationen zuständig.

BTW, how well do you already speak German?

As a carer, this is also seen as a health care related job, so no surprise they want to see your qualifications. 

Your German language proficiency needs to be good as a carer too.

Have you tried contacting your UK college of paramedics for advice? They are involved in the recognition of foreign paramedics, so may have contacts?

You also make a valid point- if you are out of your field for any length of time you may be required to take a refresher course.

Good luck.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies. That is good news that I don't also need to have a work permit. I currently speak upper A2 German, which I know is not good enough to work as a paramedic but which turned out to be good enough to make it through an interview with the company I applied to. It was following the interview they said they need my qualifications recognised before they can offer me a job. I also attend an evening class twice a week to improve my German (as well as self-study every day, of course).

I used to be a member of the College of Paramedics (mainly for CPD purposes) but I never thought to contact them as they aren't involved in registration (and the HCPC already told me when I de-registered that I don't need to be registered with them to practice elsewhere). Anything is worth a go though!