Residential districts of Frankfurt am Main

168 posts in this topic

I think 10€ per square meter cold rent a month is the norm and that is about what mine is.

I think finding the right apartment just takes time it depends how fussy you are. I realised I was being too fussy in the end whilst looking for the place I am in now and compromised and took a flat without a balcony. That is the only thing I dislike about it though!

From what I have heard from others people's experience furnished places in Frankfurt can be a bit of a rip off maybe landlords think they can get away with charging over the odds as a lot of foreigners come in only staying for a year or two and quite often get housing allowances from their companies.

Well the places I saw advertised in Brussels were over 1000 euros a month. But these were quality joints in the desirable southern and south-west parts of the city. As the descriptions were in english they must have been specifically targeted at expats, particularly the EU staff market. As Purple Muffin says, there are expensive places in Frankfurt apartment hotels and furnished properties which would probably also cost the earth.

Having lived in Sachsenhausen, Westend & Nordend; anywhere near Berger Str., is definitely the best. But not on Berger Str. itself as it is not the quietest of places.

I prefer the Merianplatz area in Nordend-Ost (as Bornheim starts further up this 2-3 mile long street) area also, and not because I live near there.

If you get bored of all the shops, bars, restaurants on Berger Str. it's ony a 10-15 minute walk down to the Zeil.

Of course parking is definitely a problem, which is why I hired a parking garage space although a 10 minute walk from my apartment. Still quicker than driving around and finding a parking space.

But not on Berger Str. itself as it is not the quietest of places.

Yes my first apartment here was on Bergerstr. about a minutes walk from MacGowans. At first I couldn't believe my luck in finding an apartment for 500DM warm a month so central. When the street cleaning machines woke me up at 5am the follwing morning I realised why it was so cheap!

Hey I'm a bit late to this thread, but I also live in Bornheim and I refuse to live anywhere else. It's a very lively area, the rent is reasonable (considering you are almost in the center of the city), and even though I only live around the corner from the bar/ restaurant area (it's literally a 2 minute walk), it is extremely quiet and parking is abundant. Mind you, that is only in my neighborhood; I know loads of people that live in Bornheim that have nightmare parking situations. Just look around a bit and don't worry about being choosy... you're sure to find somewhere that suits you.

Happy hunting!

Rebecca

I am currently based at Zurich and shall be moving to Frankfurt during February 2006.

I have spent few years in Munich but this will be my first time to Frankfurt. I shall be working near Kronberg.

I need the following advise from you:

1. What are the residential districts that may be conveniently connected to Kronberg? I have 2 main criteria - staying near some public transport spots and ease to commute to airport since I need to travel a lot

2. Some useful websites for Frankfurters e.g. relocation agents, apartment agencies, map guides and train guides

3. Any advise on usage of public transport like special fare cards, annual passes, half price cards etc? I shall be extensively using the local transport and hence some guidance on economic usage will be beneficial

4. Any other link that you feel can be helpful for a new expat like me to Frankfurt

I am not great in spoken/written/reading German. So some helpful English links to expat material will be really great. Otherwise I shall use my broken German to understand the sites :-)

Thanks in advance

Frankfurt Expat

Frankfurt Expat would be a good place to start the message board isn't that busy but the site contains a lot of info.

Scout 24 unfortunately its all in German, but once you know the terms its pretty straight forward. If possible avoid estate agents as they charge 2 months rent (unless you can talk them down)

Kornberg is also on an Sbahn so you can live in the city and commute out which also means avoid all the traffic, 26mins travel time to bahnhof and 3,35€ each way, but weekly tickets are cheaper.

Also try doing a search here, I seem to remember several other postings regarding the same question.

hope this helps

Kronberg itself is a great place to live if you have a family. Quite pricey though.

Shall be checking out ffexpats as well - as recommended.

I dont mind staying in Kronberg. Can you give me an idea of rent there? Or rent around Eschborn? I heard that even that is quite near Kronberg.

Any particular suggestion about how I can avoid these rental agencies? 2 months rent is too steep.

Hello!

Eschborn is not a really nice area (at least not compared to Kronberg).

Kronberg is the best area around Frankfurt, its really beautiful.

There are other areas in Frankfurt that are also nice, but Kronberg is THE place to live and also expensive due to this fact.

Take a look at a map - there are some areas like Bad Solden, etc that are equally as nice and maybe not quite so pricey...all have S-bahn stops.

Rob and I live in Langen (south of the city) which is also really nice and quite inexpensive. Takes about 20 minutes to get downtown via S-Bahn...

Scout24 is really one of the best websites to look for a place on your own. Agencys get a bit pricey...

Hope this helps...

If you are looking at Kronberg, I know the guy who built the whole new development around Berliner Platz. I'm sure he's got some apartments to rent in the new development so would abvoid the estate agent.

Unfortunately Scout 24 Immobilien / doesn't allow you to choice Mackler or Private but its pretty easy to figure out, just look for "Provision" that means it through an agency.

I would also suggest you take one with a kitchen (Einbaukucke).

If you find one your really like through an agency offer them less say 1 months cold miete, they may take it. We had looked at a furnished place in Munich via an Makler but the company refused to pay the fee so she came way down from 2000€ to 500€. But we ended up finding a place privately.

Its worth asking.

Einbaukucke

"Built-in chick"? Sounds like just what the single man needs :D

Search for "Einbaukuche", but beware of the word "abstand", which means you have to pay for them to leave it in! Often over the odds.

I've seen a lot of scrap which ostensibly had a new price of €10000 and was only "recently" built in. If you fall for it, you kann easily end up paying twice what you'd pay new in the shops for something that's really shagged out.

We've covered this topic before! :-)

If you don't speak German, save the headache & hire a relocation agent to do the work for you ...

If you moving from a distance you have two choices one is to go through an Esate Agent and pay the fees, or to take a short term let and look for a place once you've arrrived.

Thanks all for the helpful advise. But I can feel the difficulties to arrange all this by sitting in Zurich and trying to manage things remotely :-)

Would really appreciate if you can send me some weblinks in addition to the ones like ffexpats and scout24. Or else, if you can also send me some contact details of economical relocation agents, your friends who might have apartments to rent starting 1 March / 1 April, will be of immense help

Thanks

Hey buys - busy forum you have here. I was wondering if you could help me out.

My company is relocating to Frankfurt and I need to know what are the good/bad places to live. Because of its new office's location in the industrial splodge to the east of the city, the most convenient places to live would be:

Sachsenhausen

Ostend

Offenbach

Hanau and Bad Vibel (just about)

or anywhere within walking distance of a stop for Tram #11.

I've been to Frankfurt for a weekend and stayed in Sachsenhausen, which I liked a lot, but I get the feeling it is relatively expensive. Does anyone know Offenbach at all? If so what are the good parts and bad parts of that city. I am looking at possible apartments on Kaiserstrasse (Offenbach not Frankfurt) near the theater - is that any good?

Also is there an equivalent to Toytown Munich for Frankfurt? Where I can get reviews of good restaurants and clubs? Even if it is in German it would be useful.

Answers to any of these questions, or any other help and advice about living in Frankfurt would be great.

I don't think I would recommend living on Kaiserstrasse - although it is convenient if you want to nip down to the brothel and can't be bothered to put a coat on.

Aha, thanks for doing the searching for me, slackmack, that was very lazy of me.

Hey Ben, is that definitely Kaiserstrasse in Offenbach that has all the brothels?

Any information on Offenbach would be particularly useful. I've been told that it is a haven for criminals, but what I read doesn't support that.