Residential districts of Frankfurt am Main

168 posts in this topic

Weather nicer in Taunus as well :D , not as warm as Frankfurt in Summer and nice snow in Winter... :ph34r: We came with a 2 year old and found having a child helped with meeting people.

Sounds good cammy-Frankfurt is a bit ...

Uless your single then Frankfurt is the place to be its a full on party town.

Unfortunately I am passed that stage

Tommy

Hi there

I'm moving from Brussels to Frankfurt by the end of the year.

The ideal place I've always searched for (and found) in every city I've lived in is an apartment located in a small and quiet street, in the middle of a lively area, full of small local shops (food, clothes, music, etc), just a few u-bahn stops from the city center, and also close to a park.

Any ideas on where I could find my new ideal place?

Thanks for your help!

Bornheim would be my first choice but I am biased as that is where I live.

Other nice areas are Sachsenhausen, Bockenheim and Nordend all of these are pretty central areas but each still has it's own individual culture and character.

Thanks PurpleMuffin (!).

Could you tell me a bit more about Bornheim? What do you like about it?

What is its own culture and character?

Trying to imagine where I could live is what keeps me alive during my last working days here...

Bornheim (or Bernem to the locals) has a lot to offer and the main street called Bergerstr. is full of cafes, restaurants and bars and lots of little clothes and various other shops.

Every year there is a festival in the summer called the Bernemer Kerb and the area really comes alive with people drinking beer and soaking up the atmosphere. Actually certain Britboarders drank a little too much beer there this year but I won't go into that :P

I really like the street where I live it is only a few minutes walk to the Bergerstr. but you would still find it hard to believe that it is so close to the centre as it is so pretty.

The bottom part of Bergerstr. belongs to the Nordend area of Frankfurt and it also a nice part with bars and little candle shops!

I live in Sachsenhausen, and I quite like it there. The areas around the Schweitzerstrasse and close the river can be very enjoyable. Right now I am living back up the hill a little bit and, despite being a little bit farther away from the shops and restaurants, it is also very quiet.

Bornheim would be my second choice though. It definately seems to be a bit more lively along the Bergerstrasse. I just dont really know how quiet it is in that area...and if you have a car, parking will always be fun ;)

Yes parking in Bornheim can be entertaining but it depends on where. Obviously right on Bergerstr. is a problem!

However I don't think there are many problems where I live I do have my own parking space though but people do not always have problems when they come to see me! It depends on the time of day really late at night is sometimes more of a problem!

Wow this forum seems quite active!

I've received in one hour twice as many answers as I got in a one month time on another expat forum for Germany (and the most helpful answer I actually got was 'Are you talking about /Main or /Oder?')

Thanks to all of you!

I'm going to have a look at the rent prices in this Bornheim area.

I too live in Sachsenhausen and like it very much. I also like Bornheim, its my secondmost fav area in Frankfurt. Both areas have a lot of history and proud heritage and plenty of interesting nooks and crannys, cafes, shops, style, atmosphere, architecture and so on.

I`d say B.H. is more cool and "in" than S.H.

S.H. has the Schweizerstrasse, but I never really feel comfortable there, its too conservatively bourgeious compared to Bergerstrasse. S.H. has the riverfront which I find makes the area especially interesting, also the alt-Sachsenhausen area as well of course. tho that can be a bit lager loutish (Costa Del Sachsenhausen on saturday nights, bar after bar blasting out salsa music or similar.

B.H. has Alt-Bornheim, a similar, but smaller scale Apfelwein type area. S.H. is not far from the forests and plenty of green.

Another thing I like about S.H is that you are very close to the center, just hop across the river and you are safely out of the centre. And you have a good view of the river and the city centre as well, which you dont have in B.H.

And you have the fleamarket on saturdays along the River Main in Sachsenhausen. Plus the museum and gallery mile along the embankment.

Bornheim though has a very nice atmosphere, Id say better than S-Hausen, at least I find it so. Even if it gets a bit self-conscously "bio" at times. I prefer that at least to the Porsche mob you get in Schweizerstrasse. Some of the cafes in which can be rather snooty. Correction - are snooty.

But it brings up a good question...what side of the Main for the lower rents ;)

I guess Bornheim would be a little more "reasonable", no? I have been nestled away for the last few years so I have lost track of prices and availability.

Im not sure it divides as neatly as that. Bornheim is very popular especially amongst young professionals. S-Hausen is also popular, but possibly less so than B.H Id estimate.

But you can find cheaper areas on both sides of the river. Parts of Niederrad for example are cheapish, (but other parts pricey).

And isnt Offenbach cheaper in general, and thats south of the river - although strictly speaking thats a separate city, even though very close to FFM and practically joined up to it by sprawl.

Just a comment on the 'Bornhiem may be more reasonable' thing. That really does depend where in Bornheim you stay. My apartment is well located - only about 200 yrds off bergerstrasse, which is great because it only a few staggering steps from the bars and restaurants...and beleive me i'm well grateful of that when i'm rolling home from nacht bar at 5 in the morning. But the downside is that the rent is nothing whort of extortionate - since moving in i've seen what other people get for the money i pay and quite frankly my apartment should have solid gold door knobs, chandaliers and a jacuzzi for what they charge us.

Having said that, Bornheim is without a doubt the rock'n'roll place to be.

And basically as you get further from bergerstrasse the rent get's much more realistic.

I live just off Bergerstrasse (Merianplatz end). I do like it but if I had my time again, I would definately move to Sachsenhausen, mainly for the reasons that rick de said (and so much better than I could as well).

Personally I only have one thing I don't like about Sachsenhausen - it's a nightmare to park there (and as a non-resident you always end up parking illigal there at night).

I live in Bockenheim. I find there area quite nice. It is probably a bit more varied than Sachsenhausen and Bornheim (some nice areas, some a bit less nice).

When you start searching for the apartment, then try to be clear about your priorities. The ideal apartment is difficult to find here unless you have unlimited time (or budget).

I found that when you combined demands like fitted kithcen, parking, no plane noice, balcony and a decent standard of the apartment you very fast reduce the number of apartments to choose from.

Henrik

I don't have unlimited budget, but I do have quite a lot of time..

One question though : are the prices going up at the moment? (because here in Brussels, you have to pay almost 50% more than 3 years ago, and it's constantly going up, due to the increasing number of new EU nationals coming here) or is it stable? I've read somewhere that the rents are high in Frankfurt for Germany standards (second highest after Munchen), but acceptable compared to the salary you're supposed to make (unlike London or Paris).

You confirm that?

I checked out the rents in Brux a few years ago when I was on the brink of taking up some contract work there. To my horror the city appeared to be far more expensive than Frankfurt. Mind you these were the expat type areas in the southern districts of Brussels.

There are pricey areas in Frankfurt - Westend in particular comes to mind, but I think even that isnt on a par with comparable areas of Brussels. And popular districts like Bornheim and S-hausen are not cheap, but nothing like Brussels. The point to bear in mind is that Frankfurt`s economy has taken a dive since 2001/2002 and as a result there is much less pressure on rents. Large contingents of financial sector and also IT and related staff have lost their jobs, the contract work market also has collapsed Companies here are not doing much new hiring. All of which has taken the pressure off as people have moved away or simply been deterred from moving here in the first place.

Wow I'm really surprised that you found Brussels expensive, as far as rents are concerned! When I arrived there, 4 years ago, you could easily have a two bedroom apartment, 70 sq meters, in a nice area (southern districts, like you said), for 500 euros. Now it would be more like 650 euros. But that remains quite ok.

From what I've seen on the web about Frankfurt, the same apartment would cost me around 900 euros.