Residential districts of Frankfurt am Main

168 posts in this topic

I think I'll be using an agency. I've been searching on the net today and most of the attractive apartments I've found is let through an agency anyway. So I might as well go direct to the source.

I've also ended up with this theory that I can choose between paying an agency or buying a kitchen, but I can't avoid both. If so, I'll rather pay the agency.

Henrik

if you have a car why live downtown?

Parking traffic will be a nightmare.

If you need a car than your better off living outside of the city, on the other hand if you live downttown you won't need a car, save muchooo bucks!

I live in langen, 5 mins to A5 and 661 and 11 mins by train to downtown.

After living in a beautiful Rhein-Hessen area, it´s not easy for me to find "a home" in FfM city. Through an agency, I finally found an apartment that met my compromises in Sachsenhausen, on the Main river.

I pay for a ca. 65 square meter apartment € 800 + € 35 for the garage, which is a quite decent price for FfM area (ca. € 11 per square meter). When I moved in mid 1994 the apartment is brand new. It has 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 livingroom, 1 kitchen, a ca. 20 square meter balcony in front of the living room all the way till in front of the kitchen, a ca. 30 square meter terrace next to the bedroom. The plants that are planted on the terrace has even an automatic system that I don´t have to water them in summer.

I really like the environment. It´s just a minute from the tram station, 5 mins to the main train station and 10 mins to the city and of course a few second to have a walk on the Main river.

Later on I found out that I actually rented the apartment through a company called FAAG, it´s the government building company for the FfM city. I suggest you to contact this company (see www.faag.de). If you can get an apartment through this company, you don´t have to pay for a makler fee and they also accept a bank guarantee. I´m very happy with their service. Everything is organised very professional from the hausmeister till the yearly invoices.

Good luck in finding your new home and settling down in FfM. FfM isn´t a great city but it has some things to offer its residents.

I pay for a ca. 65 square meter apartment € 800 + € 35 for the garage, which is a quite decent price for FfM area (ca. € 11 per square meter). When I moved in mid 1994 the apartment is brand new.

Has your rent increased since you moved in?? That sounds like pretty damn good value compared to the rent levels I've seen in my 6 months here.

I rent a nice furnished flat (dont want to be bothered with buying things etc in my first year, and no real point in buying furniture unless I plan on staying longer than 2-3 years) without balcony in Bockenheim and pay about €16.50 a sq m - which sounds like a very substantial premium over your rate! It is an Altbau, which may make up part of the difference perhaps...

Hebo, I only spent a short while looking in Frankfurt when I arrived over here and was amazed at some of the appalling 2 zimmer flats that estate agents were wanting €1,000 a month for. Good luck with the hunt, and let me know if you come across any good flats you don't go for!!

Hi there, First time posting here so forgive me if i screw up.. Rents in Frankfurt , is strange how you get used to thinking that 10€ per qm warm is a fair and resonable price. And to the statement of either its an einbau kitchen or makler fees I agree go for the makler fees though for what they do they should be shot.

If parking is going to be the bane of your life then yes either move to the outskirts or dump the car. The choice between Sachsenhausen or Bornheim will only be worked out by your living style. If I was in my early years again I would certainly choose Bornheim out of the two. But there are many other areas to check out, how about the Nord-End Eckenheimer Strasse and Eshersheimer areas are good and have great access to the RMV. Best of luck

Hi all,

Want to move out of Frankfurt and into possibly the Taunus area.

Things to take into account

Wife cannot drive-Need Sbahn or Ubahn connection

Cannot speak a word of German -Require somewhere International.

I was thinking of Konigstein but a friend informed me that it was very anti Auslander.

Where is the most international and nice place to live near Frankfurt.

Cheers

Tommy

I'm thinking Darmstadt ... :D

You might also want to do a random city search, I know this has been discussed on BB before.

I was thinking of Konigstein but a friend informed me that it was very anti Auslander.

Königstein is anti-anyone who does not net a min of 120,000 euro a year.

net. not gross.

;)

Tommy ... i've just PMed you. We're moving out of our flat in Kronberg and looking for tenants from 1st Oct or thereabouts.

And just for the record, they love Ausländer in the Taunus ... well Western European ones anyway ;)

And if you want international, yesterday at the Spielplatz there was only one German mother - all the others were Swedish, American, French and Italian.

Königstein is anti-anyone who does not net a min of 120,000 euro a year.

are there any expensive exclusive areas then? Would hate to live there with the social security riff-raff!

LOL-Thanks for the Help-I was told that the Taunus is the best place in Germany to live-With a young baby on the way -I want a bit countryside

Try Bad Nauheim. It's a beautiful little city full of 800-year-old people. Very quiet, lovely scenery, good public transport- about a 25 minute commute to the city with the train- and full of very old people (did I say that already?). But the people are, for the most part, quite friendly. Also the cost of living is much less expensive than in Frankfurt if that is a factor.

Good luck!

Rebecca

Lived for last 6 years in Glashuetten, Koenigstein is not anti Auslander in any way shape or form. My advice would be try and pick up some German, the effort is usually appreciated. I'd also try and encourage your wife to drive, it makes all the difference. There are busses from surrounding villages but they are not always convenient. Prices in Koenigstein are probably higher than the surrounding areas rent wise but prices have dropped a lot in the last 3-4 years due to the number of Auslanders returning home.

We've just moved away from the area but if you need any other advice PM me.

Regards

Cammy