Residential districts of Frankfurt am Main

168 posts in this topic

Hello everybody!

I will be moving to Frankfurt soon and I guess that you could tell me which districts of Franfurt are good and safe for renting a flat and what are the places that I should avoid.

Thanks in advance! :)

depends on your budget ... if you want to live in town look at Bockenheim, Bornheim, and West End. All nice, safe areas. :)

I agree with the above, with the addition of Sachsenhausen.

I live in Bornheim and think it is lovely close to all the nice bars on Bergerstr.

Thank you very much for this information :-)

I would prefer to live in Frankfurt as I think it is more interesting comparing to a little town somewhere near Frankfurt ;-)

I can imagine that renting flat in Frankfurt must be more expensive, but can you tell me what is the approximate cost of it? What are the costs of rental for example in Langen (south of Frankfurt)?

What are the areas of Frankfurt that you would definately advice to avoid?

I have a lot of questions, but these about accomodations are now most important for me :-)

Regards,

Gosia

I think you'll find Gosia that the "little town somewhere near Frankfurt" are actually areas within Frankfurt. :)

have a look here for approximate rent costs ...

http://www.immobilienscout24.de/

the only really crap area I know is anywhere arond the hauptbahnfof but I don't think there are many flats there anyway .

other people can probably add some more ???

I must admit I am know a bit confused as what we mean by 'little towns'. Bornheim, Bockenheim, Nordend, Sachsenhausen etc are what I would consider to be reasonably central in Frankfurt (ie a few U Bahn stops and walkable distance to the Zeil) From what I understand rents in Frankfurt are about 10Euro per square metre which is what mine is - 50qm and I pay 500 kalt.

You mentioned Langen I am not sure of the costs of living there but I think if you want to live central then Langen is too far away. I have a friend who lives in Rodermark which I think is in that neck of the woodsand she pays 1000Euro for 100qm so I don't think there is a great difference in the rent prices but I may be wrong.

As for places to avoid in Frankfurt I would say Galluswarte, Hauptbahnhof, Griesheim and Nied but I might be being harsh. I would also avoid Offenbach.

I think the prices have less to do with the area but the quality of the flat so if you want a nice place it will cost more.

PM, I consider Langen as a "little town" not Bornheim, Bockenheim, Nordend etc. that for me are just areas of Frankfurt :)

If the differences in rental costs are not that significant, my decision is - Frankfurt :D

Thanks a lot for helping and probably soon I will have other questinos :rolleyes:

Take care,

Gosia

Langen is OK if you don't mind coming into town on the train and going home on the last one at 1:25am half cut. And you probably will get half cut during your first 6 months here ;) The place itself is ok and has some (my girlfriend has just said “one nice bar

I recently moved apartments and thought about Darmstadt as rents are cheaper. But once I had factored in the costs of commuting to Frankfurt everyday, it was the same price for me to live in Frankfurt and bicycle to work in Bockenheim and obvioulsy I prefer the shorter commute! I live in Bornheim (near Merianplatz). The areas I considered were Bornheim, Bockenheim, Nordend and Westend. There are some nice parts of Offenbach but for me it is just too far out. You know where I like? Okriftel. I have friends there with a gorgeous aprtment by the river and it is very tranquil but Jesus Christ, I think there is one bus a month there!

Hi,

A question for those living in or around FFM.

I'm moving to FFM in April. I went last weekend to have a look around. Quite informative and time well spent.

After having a look at different areas I've concluded, that I'd like to live in either Sachsenhausen or Bornheim. Someone had recommended Bockenheim to me, but I didn't like that part of town.

A few questions:

- I've looked at the areas above + Westend. Is there any other areas you'd recommend me to look at?

- Everywhere there was an awful lot of cars parked on the street. Is it difficult to find an apartment with parking (I'm too lazy to look for a place to park every night when I come home from the office)?

- What is the "fair" price of a 3 room apartment (living + 2 bed rooms) in the areas mentioned above. I've had a look at a number of apartment search sites and can't find a clear indication of what to expect.

- Can anyone recommend an agency to use to find an apartment?

Cheers,

Henrik

Well my apartment is 2 rooms (living, 1 bed and a large kitchen/dining area). I live in Bornheim about five minutes walk from Bergerstrasse.

I pay 585€ warm (ie including utilities) for the rent and an extra 35€ for my parking space so 620€ altogether. I think it is reasonably priced all the cheaper places I looked at were awful.

All the people I know living in the Bornheim or Sachsenhausen areas are paying upwards of 1000€ warm for a decent 3 room place but maybe you could get something for less I am not really sure - there is a 3 room place in Bad Homburg advertised on our notice board at the moment 590€ & 170€ Nebenkosten it is 84qm, no balcony.

I would look on Scout 24 and avoid the Homecompany and Mietwohnzentrale at all costs.

Hope this helps

The number of rooms can be a bit misleading because most properties are rented on a square metre basis. You'd probably be looking at a minimm of 80 sqaure metres, and about €10 per square metre cold rent in Sachsenhausen. I rent out a 100 square metre flat in Sachsenhausen for €1150 warm. In Westend you can get residents' parking permits, I believe. In Sachsenhausen I don't think you can (although I could be wrong), but if you go up the hill (towards Sachsenhäuser Berg), parking becomes less of an issue in any case.

Jean-Pierre

Or if you have a car and don't want to spend hours finding parking spaces or place particular emphasis on living directly in the city, you can always think about looking in the suburbs (Harheim, Nieder Erlenbach ---- Yes, it's STILL officially Frankfurt, even if no one has ever heard of the places!! :) ) Here you can pay 7-8EURs m2 warm, and live in the countryside. 2 mins to Bad Vilbel by car, 5 mins along the B6 into Frankfurt and very good S-Bahn connections to Frankfurt (S6)

Also nice views of the Taunus if you get the right place ;)

They do have residents parking permits in Sachsenhausen as well as I parked there once without one and got a ticket ooppps.

But having a parking permit doesn't mean there will be a space there for you my friend who lives there still spends ages driving around if she comes back late at night.

Frankfurt is an absolute nightmare for parking. :angry:

You're still looking eh! Like I said, we looked at over 25 apartments in FFM ... "it's a jungle out there", per se!

Answers to your questions:

1. No, Sachsenhausen and Bornheim are by far the best places to live - quite a diversity of rich/poor, old/young, German/non-German ... and mega cool for the over 30 crowd (ha ha)!

2. We have NO trouble finding parking - check out the old Bornheim area.

3. Depends on the Sq.ft ... for a typical 3-bedroom well-kept apartment in Sachs/Born. you'll be looking to pay anywhere between 1000-1300 Euros/month (plus provision/damage deposit).

4. Irmi and Peter Talkenberger at "ALLGRUND Relocation"

www.allgrund.com, e-mail:rent@allgrund.com

Tel: +49 (0)61-03-310847, Mobile: +49 (0)171-6203811

- They are a wonderful couple, speak English - and are very, very proactive!!

- Do tell them that Cheri & Daniel recommended them and they will treat you like gold!!

Good luck, and do drop us Frankfurters a post when you're all settled ...

Willy

That's true. I think the permit restrictions in Westend are only around about the time that people "normally" come home from and go to work. Something like 07:00 - 09:00 and 15:00 - 18:00. Although it is a pain for people who come home later from work it does avoid the farcical situation in London where whole swathes of streets lie empty the whole day because only residents can park there and the residents are out at work.

Jean-Pierre

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. The more info, the less chance for getting ripped off.

I have been using the scout24 site, and I have seen nothing in the area of EUR 600 or below. Ok, I have so far mainly been looking in Sachsenhausen, and not Bornheim.

I'm glad you've sort of confirmed my choice of area. Now I only need to get everyone else to stop looking there the next month :D I don't want to move outside FFM, even though I'm going to work in Raunheim (close to the airport), so it logistically could be an advantage. Today I live 20 km from Zurich, which is too far away (but close to the office).

For me a (preferrably indoor) parking spot is mandatory. I can't be bothered to spend time every night to find a place to park the car. Is the EUR 35 for street parking ('cause if it's indoor it's extremely cheap on my scale).

I can see the calc. of the rent will be something like:

80 m2 @ EUR 10 = EUR 800

Nebenkosten EUR 200

Heating EUR 150

Total EUR 1150

Not cheap, but not too bad either.

Henrik

If you can avoid using an agency, do it! They are theiving scum. There is one exception, actually, no, I've just thought about it and there are no exceptions. Bloody thieves the lot of 'em.

Jean-Pierre

If you can avoid using an agency, do it! They are theiving scum. There is one exception, actually, no, I've just thought about it and there are no exceptions. Bloody thieves the lot of 'em

That depends on what you're looking for - and if you're willing to spend a little extra coin and time! Using an agent ensures that your criteria get met - location, rooms, kitchen, parking, etc. Not to mention, it saves you the time of looking yourself & esp., the time wasted looking at crap.

I found that most agencies here do in fact have a better selection of quality apartments - than say, searching private.

But if you do have the time - by all means seach yourself - and save some money!!!