Sinus congestion, headaches - Frankfurtitis?!

28 posts in this topic

Anyone else suffering intense sinus congestion right now? I’ve been getting it every time I lie down for a couple of weeks now, but last night it got worse and gave me splitting headaches.

Is a Frankfurt special? Ever since I moved here I’ve had a selection of wonderful illnesses that I’d never experienced before in my life, this is just the latest.

Earlier this year there was this grungy half-flu that was just the worst because it wasn’t bad enough to stop me going to work. Guess I need to get more German about taking sick leave ;-)

48 minutes ago, sos-the-rope said:

Anyone else suffering intense sinus congestion right now? I’ve been getting it every time I lie down for a couple of weeks now,

Dont lie down for a coupl of weeks... its far too long for anyone... :lol:

59 minutes ago, sos-the-rope said:

Anyone else suffering intense sinus congestion right now? I’ve been getting it every time I lie down for a couple of weeks now, but last night it got worse and gave me splitting headaches.

Is a Frankfurt special? Ever since I moved here I’ve had a selection of wonderful illnesses that I’d never experienced before in my life, this is just the latest.

Earlier this year there was this grungy half-flu that was just the worst because it wasn’t bad enough to stop me going to work. Guess I need to get more German about taking sick leave ;-)

My wife and I are with you on this but we are in Nrw. My wife is already on penicillin. I am the strong man of the house, who won't take antibiotics( occasionally crying calling mommy). 

It might help rinsing your nose as desribed here.

Plus I´d probably take a secretolytic (e. g. gelomyrtol or acetylcysteine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus (will only work if you drink lots (i.e. enough to produce at least 2 l or urine per day) as liquefaction needs fluid). This will (hopefully) allow for better drainage of your sinuses through the ducts between your sinuses and the nose as will using a vasoconstrictor spray (e. g. oxymetazoline) to open up those ducts which may be blocked by swollen mucous membranes. Taking a combination of a sympathomimetic and an antihistamine (e. g. Rhinopront) might also be a good idea as the antihistamine will reduce secretion and the sympathomimetic will reduce blood flow to the mucous membranes and thereby help to keep the ducts open.

Don´t lie in bed but rather sit so that gravity can help drain your sinuses. The mucus staying there would provide for a breeding ground for bacteria.

My daughter had similar problems a few years ago.  Nothing specific was diagnosed here in Germany despite lots of tests.  A brain surgeon/neurologist friend in the U.K. looked at the MRI scan image and deemed the problem to be a clear case of sinus blockage and recommended any simple over the counter sinus medication.  This worked instantly...https://www.sinupret-extract.de/

You refer to 'Frankfurtitis', maybe not so odd as my friend also commented that in the U.K., they see far more cases like this in the Midlands area, their theory being because it's furthest from the sea and higher ground.

His further advice to prevent future reoccurrence...fresh air walks - lots of nice places not far from Frankfurt, check there's no mould in the home, good nutrition and hydration, check out any allergies (tests available at Hausarzt, dermatologists, HNO Arzt etc.) and, occasional saline sinus wash. Last year we also bought a Philips air purifier for home that has helped a lot.  

All the best.

4 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

Could it be allergies? Erle and Hasel are in bloom at the moment and are producing enough pollen to make me sneeze and use my asthma pump.  When I went to the pharmacy yesterday, the pharmacist said that a lot of people have been coming in complaining of allergies due to the warm weather.  Mother Nature is definitely confused at the moment!  

1 hour ago, emkay said:

check there's no mould in the home

What is the best way to do this? Or rather, the best way to do this that doesn't involve having to sell kidneys!

1 hour ago, Mackle said:

What is the best way to do this? Or rather, the best way to do this that doesn't involve having to sell kidneys!

Don't know about kidney cost...we're saving ours for when kiddo goes to Uni most likely :unsure:

I've seen a few threads here on TT about mould though haven't had problems in our house as it's quite new. Saying that, we have found dark couloured mould inside built in toilet flush boxes and a bit of pink mould around shower cubicles.  Although this pink (sometimes slightly orange) stuff is called mould, it's actually bacteria and can be quite harmful, some people are more sensitive than others.  Regular cleaning and occasional bleaching takes care of all issues.  

2 hours ago, Santitas said:

Could it be allergies? Erle and Hasel are in bloom at the moment and are producing enough pollen to make me sneeze and use my asthma pump.  When I went to the pharmacy yesterday, the pharmacist said that a lot of people have been coming in complaining of allergies due to the warm weather.  Mother Nature is definitely confused at the moment!  

Yes, I also though the early spring.  I have grown accustomed the the plant matter here.   When I was out running at the weekend for time on a warmer day, I noticed the effect afterwards.  As well as in my mouth and lungs,  my eyes are still a bit sore. 

Flush the property with exterior air twice a day by opening all windows really wide.  Dehumidifier too, at least in the bathroom.  Do not really like to think of what my place might otherwise be like :rolleyes:.

5 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Yes, I also though the early spring.  I have grown accustomed the the plant matter here.   When I was out running at the weekend for time on a warmer day, I noticed the effect afterwards.  As well as in my mouth and lungs,  my eyes are still a bit sore. 

Clearly not... 

You guys need to have an allergy test then take it from there, saline washes, stay away from milk and cheese they will help the inflammation, do not smoke, dogs, cats, mites and feather pillows and covers, will not help either, unless is a dog that can be around people with allergies. after that if the headaches continue you might need to go into the hospital and have an operation, you might suffer from polyps no to scare you but next will be asthma issues.

I end up breathing mold from renting apartments in the basement with crap insulation. 

Good luck!

5 minutes ago, sipapito said:

, do not smoke, dogs, cats, mites and feather pillows and covers, will not help either,

Does anyone still smoke Dogs and cats ?  :lol:

10 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

A few years ago, a co-worker complained that he is very often sick since moving to Aachen for the new job.

As I knew from previous chats, he used to commute to work by car at the old workplace, but since the relocation to Aachen, he uses public transportation.

So after all, it wasn't the city, but presumably that change of life style: Sitting in a bus full of coughing and sneezing people twice a day instead of sitting alone in a car is a difference.

3 minutes ago, franklan said:

Sitting in a bus full of coughing and sneezing people twice a day instead of sitting alone in a car is a difference.

Even better (for me) was when I changed to working from home office.

Me and my kid certainly had Münchenitis. For several years till we moved. A combination of air pollution, allergies and horrific recurring respiratory infections resistant to antibiotics. A decade ago there were some really nasty bugs around. They probably still do the rounds. We were sick from September to March every year.  Cleared up miraculously once we left the country.

If pollen is your foe, the best times to get outside for fresh air are just before dawn, late afternoon and early evening. The white plastic bench outside has a bunch of yellow pollen on it even. Really surprised but then again it seems geese are flying back too, I heard them and saw them today. I started using my over the counter allergy nose spray (Mometa) a week ago because I felt like allergies were coming on, now I KNOW why! Wow, so early. Hope it means a long beautiful summer! :) The a/c is already blowing at my workplace.