First Ever German Dentist Appointment

56 posts in this topic

I was eating breakfast with DH and DD this weekend and a small part of my tooth and old filling came out. I am lucky that the tooth is not obvious and that it doesn't hurt at all but there is a gap and an exposed filling. 

I've regularly visited the doctor and even had a healthy pregnancy and baby here since 2013 but no--- I have never visited the dentist in this country. I am taking this as a message to get my shit together and start getting a professional dental care. Postpartum teeth, I am told, are particularly sensitive.

I am like many people and have some anxiety as related to the dentist and need to have numbing for any kind of treatment.

Is there anything in particular I need to expect in terms of my first appointment.  What options might I be offered for this missing tooth piece?

I am insured with TK.

Thank you :)

As a new patient, you may expect:

Oral exam, including teeth, Tongue, 

Panorex - wide angle X-ray of mouth, 

Option of 1-3 fillings. Some may be wholly or partially covered by Kasse.

Dental hygiene- may be on another apt.( May be extra cost)

Chevk your TKK contract to see what coverage you have.

Please be very careful in choosing your dentist. I had only very unfortunate experiences in Germany with German-trained dentists (who came recommended by colleagues. Not sure the average German knows what a good dentist is or should be.) Do not, for example, let them whip out your fillings "because they are amalgam", have  your wisdom teeth out just because, fix wot is not broke or give you crowns where a filling or inlay would do the job. Forewarned is forearmed.

In stark contrast to the German-trained quacks I had the misfortune of entrusting my dental health to, I had excellent treatment with a Hungarian and a Romanian dentist over many years. I would seriously think about finding a non-German-trained dentist, as a bad or criminal one can be the cause of much misery.

@optimista You said a mouthful (pun fully intended).  I fired our first dentist when I appeared in his office within office hours with my face blown up to twice its normal size on one side in obvious need of immediate service and he refused to even see me. I asked his secretary for the emergency dentist's number and she refused to give it. So I stood there and had words with the cow until the doctor came out of his office, looked at my face in horror, and shouted the emergency dentist's number at her.

The emergency dentist was of some eastern European country and did a great over 4000€ job that my private insurance paid for without issue.

We just fired a second dentist who was so objectionable even my German wife was irritated. Seriously, the guy was snorting tobacco snuff while he was in the appointment with her. With me, he was just a creep and I didn't like him.

Do anything but use a German dentist. You will have nothing but return visits.

4 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Do anything but use a German dentist.

Indeed. I didn't want to put it that strongly, but as a breed, they suck. Dentists who later saw what happened in my mouth expressed utter disbelief on several occasions.

27 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Panorex - wide angle X-ray of mouth

... and if they cannot correctly interpret what they see on their TV-sized screens - which is what happened to me on one occasion although I had a massive, black caries under a filling after weeks of being prescribed a herbal gel to apply to the gum - that is useless. Just sayin'.

I would say it is a good idea to get in the habit of going - find a very local one.  Link between oral health and body health is increasingly being understood.    Also can be a thing that, if we let it slip now, it may catch up later, with more dramatic cost and effect.

What I normally get is a check, a basic clean and plaque removal (the one that can jar the nerves and spits blood and flesh) and something get puts on the teeth at the end and I cannot eat for an hour.   I do see the bill and that lot is usually 60-80 Euro.   The occasional x-ray as above.    I do ask for the longer professional clean but - fair play - they usually say not needed.   The only time I had any process like you describe, it was OK.   

I have had a filling replaced before (not here) and that was very simple process.

I have always had good, fair and painless treatment by my German dentist. Lots of emphasis on prophylaxis and parodontosis prevention.  A couple of ancient amalgam fillings were replaced by ceramic at my choice when said fillings cracked. My kids grew up mostly here and have no fillings. (Unlike my mouthful of NHS vintage dentistry!)

11 minutes ago, Feierabend said:

My kids grew up mostly here and have no fillings. (Unlike my mouthful of NHS vintage dentistry!)

Same here:  I put it down to eating too many boiled sweats (whilst reading) as a kid plus the lack of flourid toothpaste at that stage in life in the UK.

The number of fillings my children have (now adults) can be counted on the thumbs on one hand.

I look in the mirror most mornings, look at my teeth and say (sometimes in a loud voice ).." what the f...  You still here? You old bastards "...;)

2 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Chevk your TKK contract to see what coverage you have.

It used to be like that if you went at least once a year for a dental check-up they would cover more. Not sure whether it´s still like that. You might want to find out.

15 minutes ago, HEM said:

Same here:  I put it down to eating too many boiled sweats (whilst reading) as a kid plus the lack of flourid toothpaste at that stage in life in the UK.

The number of fillings my children have (now adults) can be counted on the thumbs on one hand.

You boiled your sweats, HEM?

;)

Kinky!!!

:lol:

4 minutes ago, jeba said:

It used to be like that if you went at least once a year for a dental check-up they would cover more. Not sure whether it´s still like that. You might want to find out.

https://www.envivas.de/en/products-and-services/supplementary-insurances/dental

And ask TK about their private supplementary dental cover through their partner Envivas.

(No, I don´t sell it--this is simply hopefully useful information ).

(

Since the OP doesn't state where she is in Germany, I would suggest using Jameda.de to find a good local dentist.

11 minutes ago, jeba said:

Yeah, there's a "Bonusheft" (bonus notebook) which they stamp when you come in for your (free) yearly checkup. Usually you get some extra percentage points after 5 and 10 years of consecutive visits respectively on the costs of prostheses.

German dentists? Oh shit! Noone mention "Is it safe?" with Dustin Hoffman in "Marathon Man"!! Do not watch that!

As was said, people can make recommendations if you at least put your location in your profile.

Everyone needs to see a good dentist at least annually for a check up and proper cleaning.

2 hours ago, swimmer said:

a basic clean and plaque removal (the one that can jar the nerves and spits blood and flesh)

You need to find a new dentist. It isn't pleasant but it shouldn't hurt at all or remove flesh.

As it happens, the best dentists that I have found here are, in fact, Romanian. Wife and husband practice. They are also better than any American dentist I ever had.

I´m that happy with my German dentist that I fly over to Germany if I need dental work. And according to jameda I´m not the only one happy with his work. May he never retire!

1 hour ago, jeba said:

May he never retire!

Sometimes its unfortunate that they do.  The guy in our town where we went to for many years did just that.

We didn't stay with his Nachfolger.  Again through a recommendation we are at another practice slightly closer to us where they have 2.5 dentists (one is onyl there mornings) & are reasonably happy.  At least the youngish dentist there (not the chief) recently did me a Teilkrone.

Thank you everyone so far for sharing your  responses and experiences on this thread. Some of them aren't so nice, but dentist visits are sometimes like that. I am not looking forward to my appointment at all. They can chastise me for not visiting sooner but I just know some of these old fillings are about to go :(

I called a few offices this morning and because I am not in pain I will have to wait for a bit.  I was able to secure an appointment for this Friday with the Romanian dentist a few blocks away from my home. The other places I called wouldn't see me until March. His reviews on Jameda were positivé.

I am in Duisburg NRW by the way :)

I hope I don't have anymore events this week...I see a lot of soup in the future.