Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advice needed on HS Diploma+?=Abitur

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone I need some advice regarding the following topic. 

I went to high school in Beijing and did the International Baccalaureat but unfortunately did not pass it so all I got is the American High school diploma with six subjects three in Higher Level and three in Standard. I am back in Germany now and since the diploma is not equivalent to the German Abitur I can't go to university. I read online that the diploma can be made equivalent to the Abitur by taking the SATs or ACTs. I did some research and asked some schools who agreed but now I do not know the difference between subject sat scores and regular sat scores. Like which one is required for me to have it made equal to the German Abitur. So the question is, do I have to take only the regular SATs, both or would the subject SATs be enough? 

Thanks in advance

all I got is the American High school diploma with six subjects three in Higher Level and three in Standard. I am back in Germany now and since the diploma is not equivalent to the German Abitur I can't go to university. I read online that the diploma can be made equivalent to the Abitur by taking the SATs or ACTs.

When did you receive the American HSD? What was your GPA?

How well do you speak German? 

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

When did you receive the American HSD? What was your GPA?

How well do you speak German? 

Achso.. wusste nicht das ich auch auf deutsch posten kann. Als ich in Peking war wurde mir gesagt ich muss gewisse Fächer wählen damit ich überhaupt damit in Deutschland studieren kann. Und auf der Schule gab es nur Noten von 0 bis 7 wo 7 wie in Deutschland ne 1 war. Ich hatte keine schlechten Noten aber da ich das IB nicht geschafft hab und keine lust hab das deutsche Abi nachzuholen wollte ich nur wissen ob ich mit den SATs was erreichen kann.

14 minutes ago, KhJu said:

Achso.. wusste nicht das ich auch auf deutsch posten kann.

Actually it is not allowed. 

Als ich in Peking war wurde mir gesagt ich muss gewisse Fächer wählen damit ich überhaupt damit in Deutschland studieren kann. Und auf der Schule gab es nur Noten von 0 bis 7 wo 7 wie in Deutschland ne 1 war. Ich hatte keine schlechten Noten aber da ich das IB nicht geschafft hab und

What school was it? Were you issued an American HSD by an accredited institution?

keine lust hab das deutsche Abi nachzuholen

Why not?

wollte ich nur wissen ob ich mit den SATs was erreichen kann.

Unlikely. When did you graduate? 

Just now, engelchen said:

Actually it is not allowed. 

What school was it? Were you issued an American HSD by an accredited institution?

Why not?

Unlikely. When did you graduate? 

It was the Western Academy of Beijing and I graduated in 2017. I did 12 years of school. 11 of those were in the German system. However after being bullied too much I transferred to the international one. So redoing the German system should not be the only option I get. 

29 minutes ago, KhJu said:

It was the Western Academy of Beijing

I checked the website and was only able to find info on the IB Programme and not any State accreditation. Are you sure you even have an accredited American HSD?

and I graduated in 2017.

The official ZAB recommendation for American HSDs is only to accept SAT results in the same year as the diploma (and in exceptional caes shortly thereafter). You are much too late to take the SATs for an official foreign HZB recognition. 

I did 12 years of school. 11 of those were in the German system. 

Then your taking your Abi shouldn't be a problem.

So redoing the German system should not be the only option I get. 

Why would you think that? You didn't complete the IB.