Tax deduction for health insurance payments before finding a job

2 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

First of all, apologies if the topic is somehow redundant, but I failed to find this topic in the forum yet. 

We are doing the 2018 tax return for my girlfriend, who moved to Germany in October 2017. She found a job and started to work in May 2018, and until then, she paid TK contributions (circa 180€/moth). The contribution were charged to my account for convenience, but she was reimbursing me the cost also monthly.

- Can she include those insurance expenses in the tax return to get some deductions? (from January 2018 to May 2018)

- Is the fact that the charges were made to my account going to cause any issues?

My research points that these contribution can be included in Angaben zu Vorsorgeaufwendungen, line 17. This lines states as an example: "bei freiwillig gesetzlich versicherten Selbstzahlern" that I understand it is the case.

Since she was not working on 2017, I believe that no deductions are possible because no taxes were paid at all. 

Both my German language and German Tax law knowledge are quite limited, so hopefully someone in the forum has dealt with this topic already and can provide some clarification.

Many thanks

On 17.2.2019, 12:59:27, Willybroch said:

Hi Everyone,

First of all, apologies if the topic is somehow redundant, but I failed to find this topic in the forum yet. 

We are doing the 2018 tax return for my girlfriend, who moved to Germany in October 2017. She found a job and started to work in May 2018, and until then, she paid TK contributions (circa 180€/moth). The contribution were charged to my account for convenience, but she was reimbursing me the cost also monthly.

- Can she include those insurance expenses in the tax return to get some deductions? (from January 2018 to May 2018)

Yes.

- Is the fact that the charges were made to my account going to cause any issues?

The health insurance has reported all contributions to the tax office, if the payments are listed there, there is no problem.

My research points that these contribution can be included in Angaben zu Vorsorgeaufwendungen, line 17. This lines states as an example: "bei freiwillig gesetzlich versicherten Selbstzahlern" that I understand it is the case.

Yes.

Since she was not working on 2017, I believe that no deductions are possible because no taxes were paid at all. 

You're gonna do the 2018 tax return, right? It's only about expenses in 2018