Loud child in an apartment above. And unrelated whinge about noise in general

96 posts in this topic

On 16/02/2019, 07:53:07, St0rMl0rD said:

Hi everyone, this might be a bit of a sensitive topic to anyone living with children, but I would still like to ask and see if anyone can share their opinion or possible experiences in a possibly similar situation.

I am living below a family that has a very loud child that is constantly crying and running around in the apartment; the child seems to be about 3 years or so old. I have been living in this apartment for 8 months, and things haven’t improved at all. There is a lot of noise coming from the apartment above at various times, most often in the morning (6 A.M. sharp) and in the late afternoon, even on weekends, when I try to sleep in a bit longer in the mornings, but that is impossible because of the loud crying, screaming and running (as I’m writing this, the child has cried loudly and/or screamed at least 5 times in the last 20 minutes).

I have already turned to the landlord and the management of the building, and they said they talked to the family, but nothing has changed. As this is a case where a child is making the noise, can I even do anything about it, even if it’s starting to affect my quality of life, wakes me in the morning and is not allowing me to relax in my own home?

Thanks everyone!

Hi, you have had some shit here!

1. Noise isolating headphones, they work....

2. There are nice children, naughty and monsters.

3. There are good parents, bad parents and modern parents.

We had 6 months of Paps in a flat on the top floor of a block with only singles, couples, and one family with a baby in. Whenever we came to visit it was like the circus coming to town, and I realised that kid#3, aged 4, was not in the habit of walking anywhere, but kangaroo jumped everywhere :o which I had never noticed in our house. We bought a large mat, the entire Playmo dino range, and tried to have them sat on it playing whenever possible.

Not easy. We didn't visit that much :lol:

Hi, i have a 2 year old daughter, and we live on the 2nd floor, right above an old German couple >_<. My daughter does not scream or cry that much, but she does enjoy running around, and i know that's noisy...but they never complaint. I feel guilty though.

One time I met them and apologized, and they told me it's perfectly ok, and they used to have children when they were young, so they understand. But still, from time to time i wrap gifts for the nice couple, like Xmas, New Year... I think this somehow helped, it's also a gesture of us saying thank you. But honestly I don't know what you can do to actually improve the situation. Moving sounds like a good plan, and moving into a house with no noisy neighbors is better.

On 2/18/2019, 10:29:17, fraufruit said:

I don't trust quiet kids.

Only goats have kids..

Pehaps the child has been taken for a  long walk, tired, and doing homework, or something.

Perhaps the parents have encouraged energerstic exercise outside, football or something..

And the child is quiet, not screaming or jumping, while the parents...

20 minutes ago, Ebeneezer said:

Only goats have kids..

Ziegen have Kinder in Germany.  Menschen have Kinder as well.  Same word for both here.

It is the word most kids here use to describe themselves in English, and their little friends and associates.  Evidently similar, and with the advantage of a regular plural.

9 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Ziegen have Kinder in Germany.  Menschen have Kinder as well.  Same word for both here.

It is the word most kids here use to describe themselves in English, and their little friends and associates.  Evidently similar, and with the advantage of a regular plural.

Ziegen have Ziegenkinder in Germany.  Same word for both here.

It is the word most kids here use to describe themselves in English, and their little friends and associates.   They hardly ever call themselves children.    No doubt because it is much like Kind.  It also has the advantage of a regular plural.

So you might start telling German kids that.   The rest of us will carry on using the words they use for themselves.

10 minutes ago, swimmer said:

kid

[kɪd  ]

noun
1. (young goat) Kitz nt
2. (informal) (child) Kind nt
when I was a kid als ich klein war
to get the kids to bed die Kleinen ins Bett bringen
it’s kid’s stuff (for children) das ist was für kleine Kinder (inf); (easy) das ist doch ein Kinderspiel
to be like a kid in a candy store (US) sich wie ein verwöhntes Kind aufführen
3. (informal) (man) Junge m  Bub m (Aus) (Sw)
(woman) Kleine f (inf)
listen kid, you keep out of this hör mal Kleiner, du hältst dich hier raus (inf)
adjective attributive (informal)
kid sister kleine Schwester
transitive verb (informal)
to kid sb (tease) jdn aufziehen (inf); (deceive) jdn an der Nase rumführen (inf)
don’t kid yourself! machen Sie sich doch nichts vor!
who is she trying to kid?, who is she kidding? wem will sie was weismachen?

31 minutes ago, Ebeneezer said:

Only goats have kids..

Pehaps the child has been taken for a  long walk, tired, and doing homework, or something.

Perhaps the parents have encouraged energerstic exercise outside, football or something..

And the child is quiet, not screaming or jumping, while the parents...

I repeat:

kid

[kɪd  ]

noun
1. (young goat) Kitz nt
2. (informal) (child) Kind nt
when I was a kid als ich klein war
to get the kids to bed die Kleinen ins Bett bringen
it’s kid’s stuff (for children) das ist was für kleine Kinder (inf); (easy) das ist doch ein Kinderspiel
to be like a kid in a candy store (US) sich wie ein verwöhntes Kind aufführen
3. (informal) (man) Junge m  Bub m (Aus) (Sw)
(woman) Kleine f (inf)
listen kid, you keep out of this hör mal Kleiner, du hältst dich hier raus (inf)
adjective attributive (informal)
kid sister kleine Schwester
transitive verb (informal)
to kid sb (tease) jdn aufziehen (inf); (deceive) jdn an der Nase rumführen (inf)
don’t kid yourself! machen Sie sich doch nichts vor!
who is she trying to kid?, who is she kidding? wem will sie was weismachen?

"Only goats have kids..

And the child is quiet, not screaming or jumping, while the parents..."

Welp, now he/she learned how to jump with both feet at the same time...For hours each afternoon...Jesus Christ

Exhale. Buy that trumpet. Exhale again.

Children evolve, as you notice. It does not stay the same for long.

“Ziegen have Kinder in Germany.  Menschen have Kinder as well.  Same word for both here”

— Really? Don’t Ziegen have Zicken? Asking for a friend...

Maybe I am missing something, but to get offended about the use of the term kid in English - and my understanding and use of it as affectionate and benevolent and absolutely not derogatory - is willfully getting upset about something just because. They can get called far worse...

4 hours ago, optimista said:

Maybe I am missing something, but to get offended about the use of the term kid in English - and my understanding and use of it as affectionate and benevolent and absolutely not derogatory - is willfully getting upset about something just because. They can get called far worse...

they're just kidding you

The loudest sound when you have kids is perfect silence from your daughters room when she has her friends around. Then you hear a little giggle.