Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

cannot find stopcock

23 posts in this topic

I recently moved into a flat. I cannot find the stopcock. This is a device that controls the flow of water into the flat. I am going away soon and I would like to turn the stopcock off, just as a precaution. But I cannot find it.  In all my other flats, it has been easy to find. Normally in the bathroom. A large knob with a blue spot on it. But not here.

The landlord does not seem to know either.

Any advice? Can I take out some Kind of insurance to cover me?

Thanks

Colin

A lot of older apartments in Germany don't have one. Mine didn't - only a main valve in the basement for all for stories.

Did you check in the kitchen?

The flat sems to be fairly modern. It is part of the massive WG Li housing estate. There is a smaller knob with a blue spot on it, but this is in the closed Position already. And when I turn it on, water flows out of the nearby  pipe.

3 minutes ago, Metall said:

A lot of older apartments in Germany don't have one. Mine didn't - only a main valve in the basement for all for stories.

Did you check in the kitchen?

Utter rubbish. How do they stop flow of water when changing the hot and cold water flow meters?

Perhaps ask some neighbors. 

Your landlord should really know or find out for you.

Do look into insurance anyway. There are many ways to have a flooded flat which also damages neighbor flats which you would be liable for.

The is in the former east and may have been superficially modernised.

So here is nothing I can do in the event of a leak? I live on the 6th Floor. A leak would be a nightmare.

6 minutes ago, colincostello said:

And then I have done my bit.

Not until you have insurance. A stopcock can't prevent a busted pipe, defective washing machine/dishwasher, etc. Unless you turn it off every time you walk out of the door or sleep.

If you cannot do anything before you go on holiday, make sure you turn off taps to any dishwasher or washing machine you have.  

13 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Utter rubbish. How do they stop flow of water when changing the hot and cold water flow meters?

There is no compulsion to have a cold water meter in each flat, we had some years ago on each warm water tap an indivudial  meter ,these taps could induvidually be closed with a small cock , then when I renovated the bathroom I myself installed  closing taps both hot and cold and now we have one  warm water meter but still no cold one.  The law allows the cold water usage to be divided according to the amount of space in each flat and the number of persons living in it.

14 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

If you cannot do anything before you go on holiday, make sure you turn off taps to any dishwasher or washing machine you have. 

Toilets, too.

At least we do.

6 hours ago, colincostello said:

I recently moved into a flat. I cannot find the stopcock. This is a device that controls the flow of water into the flat. I am going away soon and I would like to turn the stopcock off, just as a precaution. But I cannot find it.  In all my other flats, it has been easy to find. Normally in the bathroom. A large knob with a blue spot on it. But not here.

The landlord does not seem to know either.

Any advice? Can I take out some Kind of insurance to cover me?

Thanks

Colin

Sometimes the stopcock is on the water meter itself:

Wasserzaehler_Kaltwasser-478x444_Pic_237

Mine's like the above left hand one.