Did B2 for citizenship - worth doing C1 or C2 now?

9 posts in this topic

Hi there beautiful and intelligent TTers.

I got my German telc B2 certificate last year for the good old naturalization process.

Now I'm wondering about doing C2 just to keep my fluent but rusting German from rusting any further, and in case it's handy for work / qualifications later.

Anyone round these parts done that? Does anyone care if I can prove I am fluent in German to C2 level? Ever been asked for that in order to get a job?

How about C1? Worth bothering or just jump straight to C2? I studied at a German uni so I think I can handle the study now the pressure is off (got my DE PP).

Yes by all means do C1 and then C2. I am doing C1 now and love it beacuse it challenges me to keep mastering the German language and not become too comfortable. I enjoy the challenge and the socialization with other professional adults. Here in Germany where paper is everything you never know who will ask you to prove a very high German language competency e.g universities ask for C1 usually.

I found the gap from B2 to C1 far less difficult than from B1 to B2, where I found the relentless vocabularly broadening (lots of seemingly random words you just had to get used to) harder.   I am generally in favour of getting a qualification if you are at the level and its fairly accessible.  I rarely needed to prove it professionally but, when I do, bang, there it is.   It is the other way for me, international jobs where German is an additional language skill.   I did that recently albeit I turned down the op (one I discussed here last weekend).    

5 minutes ago, sos-the-rope said:

@NativeFraulein@swimmer any recommended flavour of certificate? I couldn't see a telc study book for C1 and C2 on Amazon, only Goethe and DSH.

Maybe the higher certs are not so popular?

According to the course teacher, whenever you can go for the Goethe certificate. The TELC is known as the 'easiest' and therefore 'lowest' exam and isn't recognized everywhere.  Here is the book I am using for my current C1 VHS course: 

https://www.buecher.de/shop/dazdaf/sicher-c11-kurs-und-arbeitsbuch-mit-cd-rom-zum-arbeitsbuch-lektion-1-6/perlmann-balme-michaela-schwalb-susann/products_products/detail/prod_id/41840102/

17 minutes ago, sos-the-rope said:

@NativeFraulein@swimmer any recommended flavour of certificate? I couldn't see a telc study book for C1 and C2 on Amazon, only Goethe and DSH.

Maybe the higher certs are not so popular?

I would also suggest to check what is available close to you in terms of exam locations and what they offer.  I noticed for example that my closest VHS where I can take exams only does TELC up to B2 level, after which then only Goethe is available.

On 15/02/2019, 13:30:18, sos-the-rope said:

Hi there beautiful and intelligent TTers.

I got my German telc B2 certificate last year for the good old naturalization process.

Now I'm wondering about doing C2 just to keep my fluent but rusting German from rusting any further, and in case it's handy for work / qualifications later.

Anyone round these parts done that? Does anyone care if I can prove I am fluent in German to C2 level? Ever been asked for that in order to get a job?

How about C1? Worth bothering or just jump straight to C2? I studied at a German uni so I think I can handle the study now the pressure is off (got my DE PP).

I done TELC B1 for the Einbürgerung.  It is the first German exam I done, and then only because I had to.  Before I had no interest in proving my German, as I didn't need to.  But, what I found was that studying for it really gave me a push and a boost, especially for my Grammar skills which had always been a weak point before.

I then considered if I should do B2 to push and challenge myself again.  But in the end I decided not to.  Instead I will do the C1 exam, as I think that this is also a very good level to be able to prove, not that I ever expect to, but it is seen as a high level.  But I am still some way of being able to do this.

In the end, the exams are not cheap.  And they get more expensive the further up the ladder you go.  So I decided that B2 was not worth the expense, but that C1 is.  And of course C2 is because it is the highest of all.  Although you will never stop learning if you live in the country!

44 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

you will never stop learning if you live in the country

For sure I'm learning a lot of colloquialisms but I'm convinced my grammar and literary vocabulary is sliding slowly down...

I am in the same boat now. I took the telc B2 exam in October, and received the results yesterday. The plan is to make a citizenship application after living 6 years in the country, that is about 3 years from now.

My original plan with the language development was, to stop studying for the exams at this point, and focus more on conversations and colloquial speech, because further certificates will be of no use for me (C1 is required for university admission, and by the doctors AFAIK). On top of this, studying for a language exam is getting boring, and time consuming, when done together with a full time job at a relatively later age. There are also other things requiring my attention in life.

What would you do? Go for C1 or not? through a language course or self study (if possible). Or natural progress further with tandempartners, TV, Newspaper etc. ?