Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Process of taking on German citizenship as South African - renouncing citizenship

4 posts in this topic

Good day,

Are there any South Africans who have gained German citizenship?

I've been scouring the forum for months now, looking for some specific information:

In the requirements to get German citizenship, it clearly states that the applicant needs to prove that they have renounced their citizenship (if possible)
In the requirements to renounce South African citizenship, it clearly states that the applicant needs to prove that they already have a new citizenship before being able to formally renounce their SA citizenship. (Not allowed to be stateless)

Seems like a bit of a chicken or the egg situation.

South Africans do automatically lose citizenship if no application was made to keep citizenship, but if Germany requires this proof before new citizenship can be given, then I am a little lost.

If there's any South Africans there who have solved this riddle, or anyone who have a similiar process to renounce citizenship, assistance (or fancy guesswork) would be greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day!

Marilee :)

I'm not South African and I didn't have to give up my citizenship, but it's a common thing with countries where you have to give up your citizenship that they wont let you be stateless. Start the process off anyway, discuss it with the person processing your application. They will guide you through it.  

As far as I could tell observing from the sidelines when I naturalised, the process is that you tick a box on the application saying you will give up your SA nationality, then they process the forms up to a point where they are satisfied that IF you give up you will get German nationality, then you renounce using the letter from the Germans as evidence that you will not be stateless. But don't rely on what I'm telling you, just get started and let the locals lead you through.

12 hours ago, SpongeOver said:

In the requirements to get German citizenship, it clearly states that the applicant needs to prove that they have renounced their citizenship (if possible)
In the requirements to renounce South African citizenship, it clearly states that the applicant needs to prove that they already have a new citizenship before being able to formally renounce their SA citizenship. (Not allowed to be stateless)

Seems like a bit of a chicken or the egg situation.

South Africans do automatically lose citizenship if no application was made to keep citizenship, but if Germany requires this proof before new citizenship can be given, then I am a little lost.

Once all the paperwork has been processed, the Germans issue an Einbürgerungszusicherung that is valid for 2 years. With this document you should be able to renounce your South African citizenship. 

Thank you for the replies! 

I am still a long way from getting my German citizenship, but I am that weird person who is overly organized, overly prepared, overly informed and has all the documentation to prove it! 

Germany definitelly is the place for someone like me! ^_^