Registering S1 certificate in Frankfurt

10 posts in this topic

I have just received the S1 certificate from the NHS and, apparently, should take this "to your local Health Office" to have it registered.

I contacted the gesundheitsamt office but they have never heard of the process. Could someone give me a steer please. Who and where would be really useful.

You need to go to an office of a public health insurance company eg Techniker, DAK, AOK etc.

Well, TK are popular with expats as you can often get information in English more easily than with the others.

2 hours ago, Guileshill said:

Thank you. Is there anything to choose between them?

Apart from availability being limited in some cases by industrial branch or their regional-oriented capacity they do not offer exactly identical uniform conditions. Some offer bonus discounts for those involved in pro-active membership of approved sporting clubs and gyms and there may also be some very slight variations in monthly premium charges.

Perhaps the most notable difference lies with the Beitragszusatz % (= total annual limit of nett income payable by patient towards prescription medicines or treatment materials - most prescriptions require 5 or 10€ self payment per item) which affect people to a varying degree depending on their family status (more of a financial effect on single childless than married with kids) or medical condition (e.g. for prescriptions for chronic illnesses the % is cut in half) and ranges from 0.20 - 1.5%

The nationwide organization for all public health insurers (Gesetzliche Kranken Versicherer aka Krankenkasse) is the GKV-Spitzenverband.

You can read about the system in Information in English - GKV-Spitzenverband

The Krankenkassenliste - GKV-Spitzenverband (in German) lists all 109 German public health insurers and shows any regional, or other (e.g. branch or corporate), membership restrictions as well as their applicable Beitragszusatz %

Although it's probably wise to learn as much as you can about the system before committing to one insurer, if you wish to cut out the research you could just go straight to the Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) English pages here -> English | TK

2B

17 hours ago, john g. said:

Well, TK are popular with expats as you can often get information in English more easily than with the others.

John, on a (very) small sample (one meeting with each company) my experience is the opposite:  A charming lady from TK couldn't / wouldn't / didn't speak English;  The equally pleasant man at AOK spoke almost perfect English, certainly better than my German.   I found both as helpful as they could be at this stage of the Brexit game, and I got the information I need from both of them. 

Just to make it clear to the Integration Police on here, I do not expect local officials to speak English - I know we are in Germany! 

18 hours ago, Guileshill said:

I have just received the S1 certificate from the NHS and, apparently, should take this "to your local Health Office" to have it registered.

14 hours ago, Guileshill said:

I will read and learn, albeit slowly.

You might want to also look into alternate ways to insure yourself in case your government decides not to cover the costs post- Brexit.

2 minutes ago, engelchen said:

You might want to also look into alternate ways to insure yourself in case your government decides not to cover the costs post- Brexit.

Understood, I am doing this because, irrespective of the outcome, the only thing I can guarantee is that without it I will have problems when it comes to the residency interview required in Hesse.