Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Are cafeterias obliged to follow their menu plans?

38 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity,

The cafeteria at work usually prints out a sheet on the monday for the food plan for the rest of the week, and up until today they've always served what they claimed they would.

today there was supposed to be  a 'crunchy chicken' burger, but when I went there it was a beef burger instead, and they had changed some of the printed sheets with new ones that said beef burger instead.

I asked my colleagues and none of them knew,

so i was wondering, does anyone know if they are supposed to follow what they advertise or?

Also, as someone who has worked in catering, a word of warning.   Be nice.   Strange things can happen to what they give you to eat.

8 minutes ago, malcolmpow said:

so i was wondering, does anyone know if they are supposed to follow what they advertise or?

No, they dont have to, they are allowed to sell out of something, to offer specials or generally to offer different things to that which is advertised.  They do have to make it clear if something isnt what it is advertised as.  For example they cannot advertise chicken then sell beef without letting you know.  Allergies, religious diets, etc.

They have to (as I understand it) make reasonable efforts to ensure that what is advertised will be available, they cannot for example offer 1kg caviar for 1 euro when they know full well that they wont be selling it.  But if the delivery goes wrong and they end up with pork sausages instead of beef or whatever, provided they tell you its ok for them to substitute one thing for another.

Thanks Zwiebelfisch, well they made no mention of it, but contrary to how snowingagain and aussiedog believe the situation to have played out, i just got the beef burger.

The first line 

"out of curiosity" went well over some heads it seems.

At least you got meat. The other day I went to the canteen and took the chicken nuggets, but it turned out to be vegetarian nuggets. I managed just half of the portion :).

8 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

At least you got meat. The other day I went to the canteen and took the chicken nuggets, but it turned out to be vegetarian nuggets. I managed just half of the portion :).

Incredibly brave to struggle on as much as you did ;)

Chapeau

Yeah, I struggle a lot. One dish is always low carb and once a month it's terra tag which means save the planet (CO2-free production), so no meat is served and many colleagues leave the office and go to the local Döner shop. Sometimes the chef goes crazy with pumpkin and then you have different pumpkin dishes for two weeks. The same with asparagus. In Bavaria they also serve desserts as main dish like Kaiserschmarrn.

Well if the place downstairs decides to stick to their guns, then tomorrow it is Kaiserschmarrn for the veggie option of lunch.

are you in the same building as me? :O

5 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Another First World problem!  Meal choices^_^

To be fair, try advertising a crunchy chicken burger at your restaurant in India and then serving beef.

51 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Yeah, I struggle a lot. One dish is always low carb and once a month it's terra tag which means save the planet (CO2-free production), so no meat is served and many colleagues leave the office and go to the local Döner shop. Sometimes the chef goes crazy with pumpkin and then you have different pumpkin dishes for two weeks. The same with asparagus. In Bavaria they also serve desserts as main dish like Kaiserschmarrn.

Are you my colleague?  Damn Terra Tag.   And I do enjoy vegetarian food, but damn, Terra Tag is bad.

P.S., Sometimes we have watery Milchreis as main dish,   Or Kartoffelpuffer mit Apfelmus.

41 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Another First World problem!  Meal choices^_^

Just in case the original intent is lost

This wasn't intended as a "the choice is different, woe is me / how dare they" 

It's more along the lines of, "this is the pattern i've observed for the last few years, and today it changed"

and then turned to the greater wisdom of TT as my work colleagues just shrugged their shoulders.

23 minutes ago, malcolmpow said:

It's more along the lines of, "this is the pattern i've observed for the last few years, and today it changed"

and then turned to the greater wisdom of TT as my work colleagues just shrugged their shoulders.

To be fair, I think we generally know.  It is quite an interesting discussion topic, and I know a decent work lunch is many people`s main feed and some will have been looking forward to their chicken burger all week, but it also has comedy potential :lol:.   I was thinking the "ha, what veggies sometimes have to make of the token daily menu offering" as well.

1 hour ago, malcolmpow said:

Just in case the original intent is lost

This is TT - whatever you do, DO NOT show any signs of weakness! NEVER take anything personally (unless somebody calls you a C___, of course). This is all part of the toughening up process! WE see a head - whaddya gunna do???... we kick it!

Although my response was more like a little finger flick to the earlobe IMO. YOU'RE DOING GREAT! STAY POSITIVE...

BUT if you do happen to stick your head out of the trench like that again, then WE CAN'T BE RESPONSIBLE FOR...

Fair enough question though...sort of.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

Or Kartoffelpuffer mit Apfelmus.

I like Kartoffelpuffer mit Apfelmus, but to be fair most canteens do a pretty shite version. My workplace has a really syrupy sweet apple pieces thing with very oily thin patties, it's awful.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

Are you my colleague?  Damn Terra Tag.   And I do enjoy vegetarian food, but damn, Terra Tag is bad.

P.S., Sometimes we have watery Milchreis as main dish,   Or Kartoffelpuffer mit Apfelmus.

No, but I work at the biggest company premises in Munich (ca. 10,000 employees) as a subcontractor and I eat there. Two large canteens and two restaurants. Your dishes sound familiar to me :). They also serve Dampfnudel mit Vanillesoße as a main dish. To me it's a dessert. What about Broccoli with Cauliflower and cheese sauce?