What's up with Hallesche? (No response to communication)

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone here have any recent experience with Hallesche—in particular, any experience getting hold of customer service?

A year or two ago we signed up online for their dental insurance (Zahnzusatzversicherung) on the strength of recommendations here and on other websites.  Apart from sending in reimbursement forms for teeth cleaning, we've never had any reason to contact them until now.  Basically, we're moving abroad and so need to discuss the possibility of keeping our policies, which we would generally prefer to do so that we can keep the coverage level we've accumulated.  (According to the fine print it is possible to keep the policies after moving abroad, but only at a different tariff, so we need to know what this tariff is, and to cancel the policies in case it is too high.)

The problem is that Hallesche aren't responding to our queries.  They never answer the phone and haven't responded to two queries using their online contact form we've sent in the past month.  I guess the next step is a registered letter.

I did some Googling and turned up a review site where people are posting similar complaints.  Almost all of the recent reviews say that, while the company had been very good in the past, recently they have become almost completely uncommunicative, even to letters sent Einschreiben/Rückschein.  Even requests for reimbursement or certificates of coverage are taking months to process.

Does anyone here know what's up with Hallesche, or have any recent success in getting them to respond to queries?

we have good or even excellent communication with Hallesche, but then we are brokers who bring important business to them. I don't know if our clients experience such problems because whenever they have an issue, they'll take it to us and we'll communicate with the insurance for them... :-) 

Cheerio

PS: I am not sure you can continue a "Zusatzversicherung" abroad, because the terms and conditions are speficially designed to work above and beyond the German public health insurances... which is different from state/national insurances and what they'll cover there abroad. But it should be mentioned and explained in the Ts&Cs somewhere. 

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

7 minutes ago, Starshollow said:

PS: I am not sure you can continue a "Zusatzversicherung" abroad, because the terms and conditions are speficially designed to work above and beyond the German public health insurances... which is different from state/national insurances and what they'll cover there abroad. But it should be mentioned and explained in the Ts&Cs somewhere. 

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I´m in a similiar situation and was told that they´ll pay as long as my public insurance pays (i. e. as long as I receive treatment in an EU country and haven´t joined that country´s public health insurance and can therefore submit bills to my Krankenkasse for a refund). But I´m a pensioner, so the rules for the OP might be different.

14 hours ago, Starshollow said:

I am not sure you can continue a "Zusatzversicherung" abroad, because the terms and conditions are speficially designed to work above and beyond the German public health insurances... which is different from state/national insurances and what they'll cover there abroad. But it should be mentioned and explained in the Ts&Cs somewhere.

FWIW, here's the exact wording from the Allgemeine Versicherungsbedingungen (emphasis mine):

Unter Umständen ist ein Versicherter nicht länger in seinem Tarif versicherungsfähig, wenn er aus Deutschland wegzieht…

Bitte informieren Sie uns unbedingt im Vorfeld, wenn Sie einen Umzug ins Ausland planen.

I think the wording here leaves open the possibility that we can still be covered (albeit at a different tariff) even if we move abroad.

But if I'm wrong, or if the new tariff is too high, do you happen to know any dental insurance plans that will cover us regardless of where in the EU we live?  Occasional international moves are not uncommon in our professions, but we don't want to start over with zero coverage every time we move.

yes, it would leave the chance open for further coverage. The HALLESCHE differentiates between EU memberstates based on their comparable costs for health care and their different insurance systems. I know that they'll charge more for people moving to the Netherlands, for instance.  But you are correct: you'll need to get a written feedback from them. Hope you'll succeed.

When in doubt, write a complaint to the "Vorstand" of Hallesche, that always triggers action immideately(especially as they must list and report such complaints with the regulation authority BAFIN).

Some international health insurances carry decent enough dental coverage that you can take with you everywhere in the world. Might be worth looking into that, too.

Cheerio

Today, some seven weeks after we first wrote, we got an answer from Hallesche in the form of a phone call.  (And just in time—I was just about to write to the Vorstand today!)  They informed us that we could keep the dental insurance abroad only if we stayed on with a German Krankenkasse, which I'm afraid in our case is not possible, so they will be cancelling our contracts on the date we leave Germany.

@Starshollow, you mentioned that there are indeed international health insurances with dental coverage.  How would one go about finding such a plan?  Googling for "Zahnzusatzversicherung" in combination with various keywords like "weltweit" or "Ausland" seems to turn up only German plans that cover dental care during temporary trips/stays outside of Germany.  I need a plan that covers my dental treatment (but nothing else) while I am permanently living anywhere in the EU (or maybe even anywhere in the world).

19 hours ago, psychonaut said:

Today, some seven weeks after we first wrote, we got an answer from Hallesche in the form of a phone call.  (And just in time—I was just about to write to the Vorstand today!)  They informed us that we could keep the dental insurance abroad only if we stayed on with a German Krankenkasse, which I'm afraid in our case is not possible, so they will be cancelling our contracts on the date we leave Germany.

@Starshollow, you mentioned that there are indeed international health insurances with dental coverage.  How would one go about finding such a plan?  Googling for "Zahnzusatzversicherung" in combination with various keywords like "weltweit" or "Ausland" seems to turn up only German plans that cover dental care during temporary trips/stays outside of Germany.  I need a plan that covers my dental treatment (but nothing else) while I am permanently living anywhere in the EU (or maybe even anywhere in the world).

Let me do some checking and I'll get back with you. Could be that most plans I have in mind only offer DENTAL as an extra to an inpatient or outpatient coverage.  More later tonight...

Cheerio

On 3/7/2019, 3:09:14, psychonaut said:

Where are you moving to, psychonaut? In some countries , in might just be worth paying cash for dental treatment.

I´m in Greece and have serious dental problems right now...they don´t " do " foreign insurance here...CASH..but cheap! May well be the case in many other countries outside Northern Europe...

Here in Greece, you would NOT get a proper bill to hand in to your insurance company in Germany.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Where are you moving to, psychonaut?

Austria, but after that, who knows?  Possibly back to Germany, or to France, or maybe elsewhere.  That's why we'd prefer to have a policy that will cover us regardless where in the EU we reside.  The policies we've seen are tied to residence in a certain country, and take several years for the level of coverage to rise to the maximum level.

Do you know Austrian health insurance rules/contracts? I have no idea of Austrian public insurance rules or even if you qualify for them as a Hungarian there.

Quick Google:

https://www.migration.gv.at/en/living-and-working-in-austria/health/health-insurance/

And will you be self-employed or employee?

I doubt there is an insurance plan anyway for international insurance which covers only dental, by the way. They are always coupled with inpatient/outpatient treatment...but I stand to be corrected...

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

On 08/03/2019, 21.25.12, john g. said:

Do you know Austrian health insurance rules/contracts? I have no idea of Austrian public insurance rules or even if you qualify for them as a Hungarian there.

Yes, pretty much all full-time resident employees, regardless of nationality, are covered by their respective federal state's public health insurance fund.  So I'm currently covered by the Wiener Gebietskrankenkasse.  But like German public insurance, it doesn't cover dental; for that you need to take our your own private insurance.

On 08/03/2019, 21.25.12, john g. said:

I doubt there is an insurance plan anyway for international insurance which covers only dental, by the way. They are always coupled with inpatient/outpatient treatment...but I stand to be corrected...

Well, @Starshollow said he was going to investigate but hasn't yet come back to this thread.  Perhaps this ping will serve as a reminder.

In the meantime, I might consult with some local insurance brokers to see if they're aware of any such plans.

German public health insurance DOES cover dental, psychonaut! But you need to pay quite a lot out of pocket for " heavy "/expensive stuff eg crowns. That´s why many publicly insured people in the German system take out supplementary dental insurance.

https://www.tk.de/techniker/service/leistungen-und-mitgliedschaft/leistungen/zaehne/zahnersatz/was-zahlt-tk-bei-zahnersatz-2002872

Example of cover and out of pocket costs for TK insurees (as an example from the public system )

15 minutes ago, john g. said:

German public health insurance DOES cover dental, psychonaut! But you need to pay quite a lot out of pocket for " heavy "/expensive stuff eg crowns. That´s why many publicly insured people in the German system take out supplementary dental insurance.

Of course, you are right—it's only the "heavy" stuff (dental prosthetics, etc.) that I was referring to.