TV/Radio licence is mandatory right?

7 posts in this topic

I read a few old posts, but each is a bit contradictory and not clear. And often descends into a debate... I appreciate that some people choose not to pay something even if it is mandatory.

In the UK, I've never had a TV and I never paid the fee because it wasn't mandatory but conditional on you using the services.

But just I just want to confirm that the fee is mandatory in Germany right?

Interesting we revived a letter from rundfunkbeitrag requesting if my wife had a TV licence, She has a different surname. On the website which I entered the details it asked to confirm    

Die Wohnung ist bereits von einer Mitbewohnerin oder einem Mitbewohner zum Rundfunkbeitrag angemeldet.?

Why are they asking for your roommate rather than fellow occupant are they planning to introduce a fee unless your sleeping together in the same room. Maybe its just a translation problem.

It will not affect us but cannot believe they are planning another tax grab, with students over 18 next,  for the TV which we don't have.

Its a  Haus as well not a block of apartments. (enter expletive)   

It's just a translation problem on your part. Mitbewohner/in is someone who lives in the same dwelling with you, not the same room.

So flatmate/housemate, not roommate.

48 minutes ago, GoBike said:

Interesting we revived a letter from rundfunkbeitrag requesting if my wife had a TV licence, She has a different surname. On the website which I entered the details it asked to confirm    

Die Wohnung ist bereits von einer Mitbewohnerin oder einem Mitbewohner zum Rundfunkbeitrag angemeldet.?

Why are they asking for your roommate rather than fellow occupant are they planning to introduce a fee unless your sleeping together in the same room. Maybe its just a translation problem.

It will not affect us but cannot believe they are planning another tax grab, with students over 18 next,  for the TV which we don't have.

Its a  Haus as well not a block of apartments. (enter expletive)   

You only pay one fee per household, regardless of your TV ownership status.  If they have become aware of your wife living at that address, they don't know if she's living in another apartment in the house in which case she'd have to pay.  Since she's living with you and you are already paying, all you do it inform them that you are paying and your account number and it's a done deal.

On 2/25/2019, 11:36:14, LeonG said:

You only pay one fee per household, regardless of your TV ownership status.  If they have become aware of your wife living at that address, they don't know if she's living in another apartment in the house in which case she'd have to pay.  Since she's living with you and you are already paying, all you do it inform them that you are paying and your account number and it's a done deal.

Yes, thanks I understand that we have had a letter before at the same address. I also found you can enter it all on line.

It was the part that translated in Google and other sources as "room mate" I found interesting especially as they should have the details.